Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nat: That is awesome. That's the kind of rejection you can't feel too badly about. Send it to another top-notch market - perhaps Lightspeed?

I got an R today from Beneath Ceaseless Skies. That is the first response of any kind - R or A - I've had in two weeks. Responses should begin to pour in though - both Fish and Memory Eater anthos are in the process of making their final cuts this week, and the AW antho should not be too far behind also, and I am beyond average RTs at a couple of 'zines as well. Hoping for some good news to close out the month :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Nate! That's definitely a rejection to be pleased with, to what extent you can.

R today for me from the Safety Pin Review. Very encouraging "almost" note, but I'm pretty bummed -- their concept is exceptionally cool. Will have to try again.

Crickets everywhere else. Yeah, waiting on the Fish and AW anthos here too along with a bunch of overdue subs. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone for some good news this week! :)

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
For my fellow FISH people, I think a large batch of R's went out last night, so if you haven't heard anything yet...good sign, I think.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
I'm sitting on crickets still. Should be hearing back from Ellery Queen's any day now. Still waiting on responses from A&A, Asimov's and F&SF, amongst others. I've been asked to write another chapter for the Red Phone Box anthology, but whether it gets in or not depends on whether I can turn it around in time. It's not looking likely at the moment :(

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alex, good luck with the Memory Eater antho. I got very close with that one, and I'm gutted not to be a part of it.

Thanks, Marc! CP tweeted that he had 11 stories in his "undecided" pile left. Mine is one of them. He also said final decisions would be made by Friday.

Also, survived the Night of Many FISH Rejections - but not out of the woods yet :)

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
A personal rejection from Clarkesworld, Nate? Holy cow, that's awesome. I've never received anything more than the standard, 1-week form letter. Send them something else, you will.

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
Personal rejection from Fusion Fiction.

I have a lot of stuff out at the moment, so I expect quite a lot of responses next month.

Getting a personal rejection from Clarkesworld is very impressive, Nate, congratulations.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Rejection from Fantasy Magazine.

It's a step up from the normal "didn't quite work" letter though. Included the words "nicely written" and "I enjoyed reading it". As well as "I look forward to seeing your next submission."

So, that's not too bad. Makes me feel a little better anyway. Still not sure where I'm sending this one next. I was going to try Realms of Fantasy but they are (currently) closed to submissions.

Maybe I'll shoot it off to Tor.com and see what happens. (Six months from now.)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Six to nine months, Aggy. But I agree, it's worth sending it off, because Tor is such a good market.

It's funny how good a personalized rejection makes you feel, all hopeful and positive. I've been invited back to Fantasy Magazine and Beneath Ceaseless Skies, and I'm trying to find the right projects for them.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
A quick question to those who've had "send us more" - do you mention that in your covering letter? I get them quite regularly now, but I never mention them. I don't really know what the etiquette is with that.

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
*sigh* rejection came in for the Fish anthology today. I'm so bummed about this one. I know I shouldn't be, but meh. Somedays these things hurt more than others.

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
A quick question to those who've had "send us more" - do you mention that in your covering letter? I get them quite regularly now, but I never mention them. I don't really know what the etiquette is with that.

I guess you could thank them, but I always personally keep my cover letter to one sentence. I think that saves the editors time.

Last edited:

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dang, you guys. I hadn't checked in here in awhile, but it's been busy. Hugs to all of you. Still crickets for me right now. :(

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:( Anti rejection ((((hugs)))) for you all.

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net

I do if it seems more than boilerplate.

"Thank you for your kind note on my last submission. I hope this piece better suits your needs."

Last edited:

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
So some market called "Comets and Criminals" rejected me about 20 minutes ago. Poo on them. ;)

Trying to figure out where to send it to next. I have some other stories to revise and send out elsewhere too. And of course, Saturday is a new month, which means a new story to write.