You Might be a Canadian

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
eh, pen would just end up killing you both anyways, so a crash en route would just save you from the horror.

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
Welcome to the dark side.
11.gif

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Thanks to a new law, Canada will bestow citizenship Friday on what its government believes could be hundreds of thousands of unsuspecting foreigners, most of them Americans.

The April 17 amendment to Canada's Citizenship Act automatically restores Canadian nationality to many people forced to renounce it when they became citizens of another country. It also grants citizenship to their children.

The Canadian government doesn't know the precise number or location of individuals affected by the legislation. But it believes most are U.S. citizens, a spokeswoman for Canada's immigration office said. U.S. Department of Homeland Security records show 240,000 Canadians were naturalized in the U.S. from 1948 to 1977; the new law fixes problems that occurred during those years.

To reach that amorphous group of beneficiaries, the Canadian government has turned to YouTube. It's running an ad there titled "Waking up Canadian," in which a man awakens on April 17 to a room festooned with red-and-white Canadian flags. He's met by a welcoming committee consisting of two stuffed plush moose, a hockey player, and a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123993183347727843.html?mod=yhoofront

In an entirely unrelated story, the ministry of finance announced a new plan to heavily tax Canadian expatriates living in the Unites States to help offset rising health care costs.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I got a great plan, eh. I'm going to put a dead rat on my birth certificate. Then when I go to Canada, I'm going to tell them I found a dead rat on my birth certificate, and they have to give me like, free government beer for the rest of my life, eh. I'm totally going to hork that government beer. It's free.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that makes me Canadian... I'm not sure, but I don't think I especially WANT to be Canadian. ;)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
And you would both go to prison. :D

TheRightEyedDeer

the land of black flies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
therighteyeddeer.weebly.com
I got a great plan, eh. I'm going to put a dead rat on my birth certificate. Then when I go to Canada, I'm going to tell them I found a dead rat on my birth certificate, and they have to give me like, free government beer for the rest of my life, eh. I'm totally going to hork that government beer. It's free.

I hereby declare that dclary is already Canadian. Sounds just like these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rp9MXoBNL8

Hoser mania rocks! Eh?

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
And it never did extend to chihuahuas.

Tyranny of the masses! Save the Chihuahuas! Canadian Healthcare discriminates against small Mexican hairless yappy dogs!

On second though, meh, that's fine with me.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I like Canada. This new amend. might actually apply to my family. But I will still have to show a VISA when I go. I wonder how having dual citizenship will affect border crossing?

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder how having dual citizenship will affect border crossing?

If you only hold US citizenship, then you get strip-searched going North. If you're a Canadian, you get strip-searched on the way south.

Dual citizenship means you get strip-searched going both ways, and they throw in a body cavity search as a bonus.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Haggis. You have to be a resident too. The health care lapses if you leave the country for too long.

And it never did extend to chihuahuas.

Don't make me send Obama over there to straighten you people out.