• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking a Beta Reader for Arthurian Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarWombat

Burrowing Mammal Par-Excellence
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I've posted a few snippets of my novel on SYW. Well, two snippets of my novel on SYW. The results have generally been so positive that I'm encouraged to move on with the process and seek a beta reader for my entire manuscript.

What the story is about: King Arthur falls at the battle of Camlann, and is taken away to Avalon. There, he is given a second chance by the Lady of the Lake. The only catch? He must either surrender his freedom forever, or become a woman. It's a simple enough choice, and Arthur chooses to become the Queen of the new land.

At the same time, Galahad is taken to the new world by a force that shall remain nameless after sipping from the Holy Grail. He must travel to the new Camelot to meet his ultimate destiny, despite all that is thrown in his way.

It's a love story / fantasy adventure story, clocking in at just about 100,000 words right now.

The Ideal Beta Reader: Someone who enjoys fantasy and romance, and is reasonably open-minded to the concept. Someone who can be honest without being aggressive or insulting.

What I'm looking for: Just someone to give it a good reading, tell me if anything particularly awful or jarring jumps out, and give me their opinion on how it flows. I know it needs some work, but I'm too invested in it to it to give it the look it deserves.

Ideally, someone would be able to read it and get back to me as they read it.

What I can do: I can beta read your work in exchange! I'm not much for line-by-line critiquing, but I can say what works for me and what doesn't, and I'm reasonably au-fait with grammar, if not with punctuation. Though I do know how to use the comma!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't offer to do a beta-read right now, sadly, but I just wanted to say that your post is a superb example of How To Do It Right when posting a beta request.

StarWombat

Burrowing Mammal Par-Excellence
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

I've been getting some really good feedback (thanks for that!) but I'd love some different viewpoints. I'm looking for another one or two readers, if anyone's interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.