Using a pen name?

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
So, I have been debating using a pen name because I write Ya Historical Fiction. You see, my dream is to one day be a curator at a museum (most preferably Williamsburg :) ). I'm afriad that IF I become popular/best seller that people will begin to say my work isn't completely accurate.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't use wikipedia as my primary source. I went to the library and checked out a crap-load of books on my given time period and researched.

However, I feel like in the realm of historical-fiction, there will always be that one person who says "That isn't accurate". I feel like even if I built myself a time machine and went back to the 1860s, I would write someone that would make someone say--whether they have researched the period throughly or not--"they didn't do that back then".

So, I've been wondering if I should use a pen name, or if I'm just making too big a deal out of this. I know books like The Other Boleyn Girl are popular, but is Philipa Gregory a household name like JK Rowling? Is she well known in the Tudor-community (amongst actual historians).

I would love everyone to love my work, and I know that's not going to happen. I just don't want my books to jeapodize my career as a curator/historian.

Anyways, I dont want to turn this into a flame war. Any advice would be apperciated. I'm 20 and just learning about the writing world and that of a museum curator. I dont want to mess either one of them up :) The people on AW have given me some valuable advice, and I always apperciate their input.

Thanks
:)

J'Dubee

I make tall stories short
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdubee.com
Isaac Asimov, professor of biochemistry at Boston University, was equally well-known as a science fiction author.

Stephen King, not sure his early works would be popular with his real name attached, used Richard Bachman. Bachman's true idenity wass discovered and King issued a press release about Bachman dying from "cancer of the pseudonym."

If you became as famous and popular as J.K. Rowling, any museum would thrive with you as their curator,

I'd say not to worry, but use your initials if you think it might be future problem.

foreverstamp

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
It was my understanding that Stephen King used a pen name because his publisher only wanted one book a year and he wrote books faster than that.

There are many reasons to use a pen name.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Some people will prefer to keep their 'writer persona' and their 'day job persona' separate and some will not. I do, not necessarily because I think it'd do me harm - I just prefer to keep them separate because the one really has nothing to do with the other. Some people use a pen name simply because their own name is hard to spell or general privacy issues. In many cases it's no secret what their real name is; they just don't use it.

Personally, I don't think being a writer of historical fiction is going to ruin anybody's chances of making it in the academic world, but yes, it will influence how people think of you. They will likely read your books and look for glaring errors (people are small-minded like that, especially in the academic world).
If that will bother you, then you might find the pressure stifling your writing (if you were to feel like all your colleagues were peeking over your shoulder when you wrote). In that case, you'd probably be better off using different names and keeping your writing secret. If you don't think it'll bother you, then go for it. I don't think it'd ruin your chances of an academic career by any means.

If you're interested, Mary Bly who is a tenured associate professor of English Literature at Fordham University also writes romance under the name Eloisa James (very successfully). I know she kept her 'dual careers' under wraps until she got her tenure, just in case. But that was a few years ago, plus I think perhaps the mix of English lit and romance might be slightly more volatile. You could look into what she has said about her experiences (I know she's been asked the question many times).

Kitti

procrastinatrix
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katotis.com
I know books like The Other Boleyn Girl are popular, but is Philipa Gregory... well known in the Tudor-community (amongst actual historians).

Yes.

I think going with a pen name for the reasons you mention is a good idea, at least at this point in your career.

Case in point: a few months ago, I was talking to an academic historian about a tenured, award-winning professor of history and the subject of her novel came up. Hooo-boy! Let's just say, if he was on a hiring committee looking at her, I wouldn't be too optimistic. (Okay, given the current state of the academic job market, I still wouldn't be optimistic, but that's neither here nor there.)

There seems to be a notion that you if you divide your time between non-fiction and fiction, you won't have enough time for both (not to mention all the educational and administrative - as opposed to research - aspects of being in academia). Considering the way academic schedules work, especially the fact that you're supposed to be researching and writing non-fiction in your every spare moment, you can perhaps see why some academics disapprove of a fellow academic's attention divided between two different types of writing.

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks? When does one decide if they are going to use a pen name? I've already submitted agents under my real name.

I guess I just want to be respected by all of the historic community. There is this book called The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks. The story about a real woman who lived in Franklin, TN. There were a lot of errors in it. Now, the site that the woman lived at, Carnton Plantation, loves the author--Robert Hicks--but everyone else in the area (all other historians and reenactors) don't approve.

I think I might go with a pen name, but if I've already submitted to agents under my real name, will having a pen name be sort of pointless??

I just don't want to ruin my chances. The job market is already tough as it is.

aaren

At the Imagination Station
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Belle,
Definitely not pointless to submit works to agents under your name (your agent needs to know your name anyway, especially if you want to get paid for your work). The people you should be able to trust to keep your penname should be your agent and your editor.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Generally...

I don't approve of pen names except if you write two very different types of book, and your publisher wants you to keep the two separate as the readers of one book wouldn't like the other.

BUT in your case, because of your work, I would. When you are safely ensconced in your job then you can let slip the news of your novel writing.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
At the end of the day, it won't matter how well you research your book, there will be someone who will think that the research is soddy, if only because they have misconceived conceptions of the facts.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
All very good advice and I, too, think you make a good case for having a pen name.

At the end of the day, it won't matter how well you research your book, there will be someone who will think that the research is soddy, if only because they have misconceived conceptions of the facts.

Very true. Just think of the misconceptions still held today regarding Richard III and Cleopatra VII, for example.

I would add that history as we know it is not fixed. Every day some new piece comes to light and changes—and challenges—previously accepted 'facts'. The best any of us can do is to perform our due diligence based on information available today.

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score

Exactly. I a guy I work with at a historic site, told me the story of how a tourist approached a man who worked as the blacksmith at Jamestown. The blacksmith was making nails and the tourist said, "They didn't have nails back then." The poor interpurter tried to tell him that, yes, they did. He said he had seen the records of the ships that listed a barrell of nails or something and they had excuvated nails from the original site of the settlement. The tourist still didn't believe him. After arguing for a couple of minuets, the blacksmith said, "For Pete's sake, how do you think they got Jesus up on the Cross!"

So, obviously, the tourist didn't know shit, but there will always be people like that.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Thanks? When does one decide if they are going to use a pen name? I've already submitted agents under my real name.

Use your real name when corresponding with agents, editors and publishers. Once your novel is purchased you wll be asked if you want to use your own name or a pen name on the published copy and all related marketing material. The book can be published under your pen name but your royalties will be paid to you under your real name.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is one of those cases where your age works in your favour. Use the pseudonym, and if anyone tracks your 'real' identity and complains about the facts (there's always somebody) you can point out that you were young, and that the research you did is what inspired you to become a historian, as you realised how much there was to learn.

EssieRatcliff

will finish this story, honest.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nekoroji.blogspot.com
Averon, it actually depends on what the subject matter is.
My name is very distinctly Anglo-Saxon, but being half-Chinese, I love to write about Asian culture. I would actually love to have a pseudonym which is too difficult to identify as a specific culture, but I don't know where to start :) When I make up a name, it never seems right.