• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Why I Won't Beta Read Your Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, thank you, Maryn! :e2cloud9:

I believe she's just really receptive to feedback, and the recommendations were relatively minor. She's a pretty good writer, in my opinion. And a pretty fantastic person overall. :snoopy:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The very first beta read I ever did on a full-length novel, I was terribly flattered that the author took most of my suggestions. He made me laugh, explaining how he swore a little and kicked things, because damn it, I was right, and why hadn't he seen that? It did make for a lovely thriller. I betaed his second novel, too, but I don't know if he sold it. I thought it was even better.

Maryn, who should go look for it

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's quite a good book. I recommend it, even if I hadn't had a shot at improving it. Fairly grisly, if that isn't off-putting. I thought some of it was deliciously gruesome, without pandering to people who are into that.

Maryn, who hasn't seen White for a long time

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I found this forum while searching for beta readers, and honestly all I wanted to do was grab a few random strangers and demand help, but...

Reading the first post reminded me of how I used to critique excerpts for writers on my old forum. It's absolutely ludicrous how many people asked for help and then got angry when I pointed out problems in their writing, or just flat-out ignored me. Eventually I gave up.

With that in mind, I guess I'll come out of lurking for a while before I ask for help. I do still like critting.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Atta-girl! I hope you'll spend some time at whatever Share Your Work (SYW) boards interest you, giving criticism, as well as just hanging out getting acquainted.

Maryn, drinking the last of the coffee

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I can't even believe how much I love finding threads like this. So fun! I learned all about betas, cheeselogs, and not to google "jimmy bug." Seriously, what other place on the internet offers all of that?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not one, I daresay.

I spent at least an hour at insect identification sites back when the jimmy bug thing came up. Nothing definitive, just a lot ruled out.

Maryn, kind of freaked out by the size of some beetles

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
okay, I got to go search up jimmy bugs now

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
hey, man, there's nothing on jimmy bugs!:poke:

bewarethejabb

Monkey With A Typewriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribophile.com
Madame Curmudgeonette, I believe I love you.

Concise and well-spoken. My world is brighter for it.

Jerry, a curmudgeon who didn't know there were such lovely curmudgeonettes in the world.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't like to beta read for someone who:

1) Has done no critiques on SYW or otherwise shown that they are a real part of the community and give as well as take. Otherwise, my time and effort goes into a one-way void.

2) Has had no critiques on the chapters as they've written their book. Especially if they don't have much of a publishing record, I'd expect such a book to need intensive, time-consuming work. In other words, I'd expect them to have been putting their own effort in all along so that the beta read is a final check, not dealing with a rough draft that they mistakenly believe is polished.

In my experience, the two above are also the type most likely by far to have a meltdown or not even thank you after you spend considerable hours giving them real feedback rather than only praise.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Madame Curmudgeonette, I believe I love you.

Concise and well-spoken. My world is brighter for it.

Jerry, a curmudgeon who didn't know there were such lovely curmudgeonettes in the world.
Since I'm having a day of utter incompetence (I ran a red light, got lost, and other fun stuff, all before noon!), this was a day-brightener for which I thank you.

Yeah, Fruitbat, on both your points. I don't necessarily want to receive a beta for each time I give one, but I'd sure like to know this person, as a part of the community, is likely to beta for others as well as participate in general. Even though I think I'm a fairly gentle critic, it's never good to be someone's first. So many who seek harsh really only want rainbows.

Maryn, wondering if this doughnut is worth it, since it's too early to drink

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
Since I'm having a day of utter incompetence (I ran a red light, got lost, and other fun stuff, all before noon!), this was a day-brightener for which I thank you.

Yeah, Fruitbat, on both your points. I don't necessarily want to receive a beta for each time I give one, but I'd sure like to know this person, as a part of the community, is likely to beta for others as well as participate in general. Even though I think I'm a fairly gentle critic, it's never good to be someone's first. So many who seek harsh really only want rainbows.

Maryn, wondering if this doughnut is worth it, since it's too early to drink

I had a day like that on Monday - all day. It was like the circuitry in my brain was left unconnected overnight.

If someone hasn't 'suffered' the trials and tribulations of SYW, they shouldn't ask for a Beta. SYW is a great way to toughen up and learn that not every word out of your keyboard is the stuff of puppies and unicorns.

I was really bummed for a while when my first beta said that one of my manuscripts had no running conflict. (ouch!)But I appreciated her honest opinion. How do you grow as a writer without this? I kept this in mind as I outlined the WIP I'm doing for NaNo. And, of course I thanked her (how rude not to!)

Nekko - who wholeheartedly thinks Maryn should have that doughnut

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did. There's a lunch Weight Watchers will love-hate. A large salad, diet dressing, turkey, pomegranate seeds to make it interesting, washed down with a doughnut. It's been at least a year since I had one, so I refuse to feel guilty.

Lest I derail, I should mention beta reading. How do you tell someone you don't want to continue? I find that hard, knowing they're likely to be hurt because it's just not good enough or interesting enough for me.

Maryn, all hoity-toity

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, if someone didn't want to continue on a story for me, I'd like to know why. Was there just too many mistakes? Was it so boring they'd rather watch paint dry? Was it just not their cup of tea in regards to genre? This way I'd know that there are already big problems from the get-go that even a beta won't sludge through it, and then I can attempt to fix it. If I don't know what's wrong, I can't fix it.

But I guess that in itself is kind of a beta too?:Shrug:

Last edited:

bewarethejabb

Monkey With A Typewriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribophile.com
Well, the person who just contacted me about a swap is clever enough to warn people up front that he won't keep reading if something is too terrible to continue, and expects likewise on his own work.

I think I'm going to take a page from his book, although on the beta team I run I at least skim the end and try to be constructive, as I've committed to doing that book that week. Then again, that policy bit me in the ass last week when a girl submitted an incomplete, totally un-proof-read, nonsensical pile of word vomit to the beta team simultaneously with her first-draft team (even though I've explicitly mentioned that people can only be on two different *if they have two separate works at different levels of completion.) I only made it halfway through the pile of crap, noticing her flagrant disregard of both the rules and the point. Then I just removed her from the spotlight (to huge sighs of relief from the beta team) and told her very straightforwardly she'd have to actually write the damn thing, and workshop it, before she could submit for beta.

Did I hurt her feelings? Undoubtedly. But sometimes someone has to be the enforcing asshole, and I'm okay with that being me.

(Ironically, her FIRST DRAFT TEAM also all contacted me, awkwardly, politely, indirectly begging to have her removed as well. Because apparently her writing is too crappy and nonsensical for even first draft critters.)

What I've learned in the last week is that the way to go is warning people upfront that the penalty for abject sucking is cancellation of the beta. And that I'm going to at least skim all future submissions to the beta team for not-totally-blowing-off-the-rules before spotlighting them.

Here? I'm thinking first-chapter sample swaps are the way to go.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Well, the person who just contacted me about a swap is clever enough to warn people up front that he won't keep reading if something is too terrible to continue, and expects likewise on his own work.

I think I'm going to take a page from his book, although on the beta team I run I at least skim the end and try to be constructive, as I've committed to doing that book that week. Then again, that policy bit me in the ass last week when a girl submitted an incomplete, totally un-proof-read, nonsensical pile of word vomit to the beta team simultaneously with her first-draft team (even though I've explicitly mentioned that people can only be on two different *if they have two separate works at different levels of completion.) I only made it halfway through the pile of crap, noticing her flagrant disregard of both the rules and the point. Then I just removed her from the spotlight (to huge sighs of relief from the beta team) and told her very straightforwardly she'd have to actually write the damn thing, and workshop it, before she could submit for beta.

Did I hurt her feelings? Undoubtedly. But sometimes someone has to be the enforcing asshole, and I'm okay with that being me.

(Ironically, her FIRST DRAFT TEAM also all contacted me, awkwardly, politely, indirectly begging to have her removed as well. Because apparently her writing is too crappy and nonsensical for even first draft critters.)

What I've learned in the last week is that the way to go is warning people upfront that the penalty for abject sucking is cancellation of the beta. And that I'm going to at least skim all future submissions to the beta team for not-totally-blowing-off-the-rules before spotlighting them.

Here? I'm thinking first-chapter sample swaps are the way to go.

See, I think there's a difference between being a bad writer and just plain being inconsiderate, and the fact that she fell within the latter group, I don't fault you at all.

But what if someone honestly didn't know how to write? If no one gave them a chance, then they'll never improve. Maybe they have that eagerness to learn, but no one is willing to teach them. I think that if I ever got one that bad, I'd ask first if it had been edited. If not, then I'm returning it. If they had attempted to edit it, then I'd stick it out. Luckily I've never had one that was downright bad. *knock on wood*

usuallycountingbats

Procrastinating on the net.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't betaed, but I've done a whole heap of sub-editing and peer reviewing. My approach is usually to take the broad brush approach of a list of bullet points which address the fundamental issues. So one report I read was technically fine, but the author (for perfectly valid reasons for them as a person), had omitted virtually every and/then/all etc. I sent it back to them with a few of the early examples corrected and a note to use more joining words, then send it back. (And yes, I phrased it like that for a specific reason too).

I'd be tempted to ask the person to fix the fundamentals, and give them a list and a shove in the right direction with some Internet links, then offer to look at the first 3 chapters again once they'd been through the whole book.

Mind you, if it's a case of basically correct but just plain dull, tell them. That's the point of betaing, no?

bewarethejabb

Monkey With A Typewriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribophile.com
See, I think there's a difference between being a bad writer and just plain being inconsiderate, and the fact that she fell within the latter group, I don't fault you at all.

But what if someone honestly didn't know how to write? If no one gave them a chance, then they'll never improve. Maybe they have that eagerness to learn, but no one is willing to teach them. I think that if I ever got one that bad, I'd ask first if it had been edited. If not, then I'm returning it. If they had attempted to edit it, then I'd stick it out. Luckily I've never had one that was downright bad. *knock on wood*

I agree with you completely. I have no perspective on myself, so I generally prefer to err on the side of assuming that I was make-your-eyeballs-bleed awful when I started, and probably am only a few cuts above that right now.

With the girl I mentioned above, I would have reacted quite differently if had been on her first draft team. The point of a first draft critique team (anywhere, I'd think, not just in my group) is just to get it out there and try to start somewhere. I had a different person on my former first draft team who made my head hurt with dread every time I had to go in for my weekly crit (armed with a metaphorical haz-mat suit) but I tried my best to be constructive and polite and give her concrete, digestible chunks every time, and ya know what? That person did improve. I still don't want to read her work if I can help it, but it was admittedly better when I left off (took an elaborate series of polite excuses to extricate myself from that one,) and she'll keep improving from there.

I think the key question is expectations. How does someone get to the point of beta if they really don't now how to write? Maybe the term means something different here on AW (though I doubt it, because I've read the stickies) but isn't a beta something you try to obtain after you've written, workshopped, and rewritten your story several times already? Shouldn't some of the things have been caught by the point? If I am expecting a chapter from a first draft, I have signed on to be polite and constructive, come what may. If I am expecting a beta, isn't it part of our agreement that everyone has done some of the prelimanary legwork already?

I'm all for helping people from the ground up, to pay back the karmic debt of the ones who did so for me. I did go through and crit, as nicely and constructively as my cantankerous ass could manage, aforementioned example girl's chapters, on a first-draft-level basis, after I pulled her from the beta team spotlight for ignoring the definition of what a beta read is. What I expect for people to admit it when they're putting forth a slapdash first draft they haven't bothered to spell check, so we can be on educated terms going in.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While I have my own opinion on what a beta read is--one last run-through of a work the author believes is ready for submission--a lot of people don't agree. Shocking, yes? (I know, how can anybody not think exactly what I think? ;) )

It sounds like bewarethejabb's other writing group is large and pretty organized. Mine had a schism some years ago and is quite small and too homogenous, all of us at about the same level of skill. We have one genre in common, but explore different subgenres, so I'm not always sure I get what they're doing, and I suspect I mystify them at times. ("Why would she want to write that?")

Kudos for
...her flagrant disregard of both the rules and the point.
Love it!

Maryn, with a bit of wine in her and a better mood around her

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I did. There's a lunch Weight Watchers will love-hate. A large salad, diet dressing, turkey, pomegranate seeds to make it interesting, washed down with a doughnut. It's been at least a year since I had one, so I refuse to feel guilty.

I wholeheartedly approve of this lunch! Maryn, I hope your week improved. :Hug2:

Lest I derail, I should mention beta reading. How do you tell someone you don't want to continue? I find that hard, knowing they're likely to be hurt because it's just not good enough or interesting enough for me.
I've never had to tell someone I couldn't finish, because (and I'm sure this is the reason) I am very picky about whom I beta for. But speaking as a writer, I'd much rather someone tell me s/he couldn't finish (and why, so I can try to fix it, or know it was unfixable, like a genre mismatch) than have the person slog through while hating it. What a horrible feeling that would be, to know someone had slogged through my book! And maybe if the person hadn't finished because of a big picture issue, knowing that after only a few chapters might have enabled me to apply it the fixes to the entire book without needing my poor beta to schlup through the rest. And if it was a genre problem or personal taste or something, the beta's feedback is probably going to be a mismatch anyway!

I consistently tell my betas that if they hate it, to please stop reading and send it back and just tell me why. So far, that has not happened. *knocks on wood* *hugs betas*

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Confession: I once accepted a request to beta read from someone I liked well enough but whose writing I'd never checked out. S/He had me download the text file from a website the writer owned. The book was really, really bad, in desperate need of correction. The writer didn't have a clue how to punctuate or what made a complete sentence or why subject and verb should agree. There were mistakes with there-their-they're and to-too, too.

I'd given my word, so I slogged through a line-by-line on two chapters, which must have taken eight or ten hours. That's how bad it was.

Then this person got into trouble with the moderators and/or owners and was banned. We had not exchanged emails, so I went to the website, but it had been taken down. It stayed that way for a few weeks, at which time I considered myself off the hook, unable to contact or be contacted.

Later I saw it self-published, with all the errors.

Maryn, who thinks this person was beyond help as a writer

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Kinda similar: about 20 years ago I was tapped as the Editor for a new dead-tree magazine. So come the first group of submissions, and... egads, none of this is even writing. There's one that with a lot of massaging and a little squinting might be printworthy, but that's it. Then the truth came out -- the rag's owner wanted a free pass for all his 'writer' friends, and rejecting 'em was not permitted. Shortly thereafter we went our separate ways. I believe they printed 5 or 6 issues before folding for lack of sales (other than to friends of the owner).

Status
Not open for further replies.