Ohio Early Voting “Drive”

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Making the homeless give a blowjob for a cracker

LOL it's still funny. Sorry to laugh at something you hold an obvious passionate opinion for, but sometimes this is when the best comedy comes out.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Unfortunately the homeless have, and always will be, exploited by anyone and everyone.

Years ago I used to see buses appear in my Toronto neighborhood offering free box lunches for anyone willing to be transported to a rally, a parade, anything where they needed bodies. Of course, many of the homeless would do so - getting a hot meal and/or a few bucks to stand around with a sign in their hands was easy and they didn't care what the cause was or who they were demonstrating against.

Very sad. On all sides.

:(

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
I posted this in part before but I think it's more relevant here:

Link to story

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/5/12494/1977

I am a 42 year old ex-Republican. About the only thing I have ever done in an election campaign is to place a bumper sticker on my car.

Over the last two years, I have realized the severe trouble the country is in, and this year decided I was going to actually get out and work for the only viable option I can see to save the Republic - that would be Senator Obama.

In Texas, our deadline to register to vote is tomorrow. I have been out registering people in neighborhood walks through Old East Dallas, the Cotton Bowl area and part of Oak Cliff. I discuss with the people the reason they should vote and hand them the appropriate forms to put in the mail or take to officials.

It has mostly been African-American and Latino voters. I thank God daily I sat through 6 years of Spanish in high school and college.

My first impression -

I have been a very ignorant American. I apologize to God and everyone in my country. I have never seen living conditions as horrendous as some of these elderly people are living in. Note to self - detachment is no longer an option - I will now be much much more involved in community issues.

My second impression -

I have been going out every day for the past two weeks. Early on, my canvassing partner and I ran into two young black men - bling, tattooes, etc. I try not to be racist - but it was all I could do not to be scared to death. They came up to us - and we introduced ourselves. The one gentleman's name is Kai. I asked Kai if he was registered to vote - he said No and we discussed how he could register. He looked up at me - and I swear he was tearing up in his eyes - he said - "You are the first white man who has ever spoken to me with respect in my life. I appreciate all the work you are doing for Obama." He then asked for more registration forms - he took about 100.

I understand from a friend at a local official registration location that Kai did indeed show up - with about 50 of his friends in tow. I actually started crying.

2 things -

The next 10 years or so are going to be some of the most challenging this country has ever faced. We are all going to have to work together. We are all going to have each other's back. Senator Obama seems to me to be the one man who has the capacity to get us all together - I would never have dreamed that the Kai story could have happened to me just a year ago.

I have skipped the second thing but I want to make an observation. Although I agree that voting twice is wrong, encouraging people to vote is very, very good. Why? It's not just because it's their country too. These people - the blacks, the young, even the homeless and the otherwise disenfranchised - it makes them feel as if they belong to the US. It gives them pride. It makes them feel accepted. And when they do that, it's my belief that there's an increased chance that they will start contributing more to society.

And, back to OH and its early voting: one student was rejected (legitimately) because she lived in a different county than the one in which she was going to school. So it appears that there are checks in place.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
It seems to me that the bottom line on this issue is a choice. Either:

(a) we make it difficult or impossible for homeless people to vote because the potential for fraud is present; or
(b) we make it easier for homeless people to vote and try to remain vigilant in the face of potential fraud.

Now, interestingly, in several pages of this thread I have seen no specific allegations or instances of fraud. The arguments come down to the "Oh, come on..." variety. When balancing an "Oh, come on..." risk of fraud against a person's right/ability to vote, I would sincerely hope a democratic populace would err in favor of promoting voter participation.

Takvah

Not a D list ego massager...
Registered
Reaction score
They've run out of soup in Ohio.

482952663_8aae527630_m.jpg