• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
It's possible. I had a full request last time and I know generally the threads here are filled with people talking about how fast he is. I'll try to remember to ask about it next time I email.

The_Kranky_Crow

Skin so thick, I'm almost a lizard.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
He might just be catching up in that case. I'd check query tracker and see if it's a recent trend.

Oh yeah, I've been stalking QT all along. Many people have sent after me and received their responses. At this point, I'm kind of gunning for one of Janet Reid's "mulligans," because I've made some changes in the interim. Since they have that 6-8 weeks check-in line in their submission guidelines, if I still haven't heard back, I will. :)

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
I didn't even think to check QT - seems a few people have gotten faster responses and a few are still waiting. I imagine DGLM is probably still attacking the post-holiday slush.

Will update y'all if I hear anything.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the wait, but I did ask and Jim said that he was having some problems with his spam filter that have since been fixed, so if you didn't receive a reply, you should resend. Hope this helps.

RKLipman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
Kaitie - In what timeframe? I queried on 1/30 but it's still within his usual 6-week response frame so I don't want to assume...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The oldest he has right now are five days, so yeah, go ahead and resend.

RKLipman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
Thanks, Kaitie. I was hesitant since someone on QT just mentioned getting a response from a query dated 2/3, and it's not technically the 6-week nudge point, but... I just resent, mentioning the possibility of internet gremlins.

Oh well. The worst he can do is tell me to go play in traffic, right?

RKLipman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
Kaitie, I could make out with you right now.

Full request from Jim, a few minutes ago. He had to dig my RE-SENT query from his spam folder, and noted the first one never even made it there.

So yes, it appears there are mad internet gremlins at work here. Now, to thwart them. *grabs machete* *takes aim at gremlins*

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
*Hugs!* Good luck, and I'm glad you got it sorted out. :) Just make sure you keep the machete nearby when you send emails from now on. :D

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
RKLipman...awesome!!! Good luck with the full.

I guess I should resubmit since I never received a response. Did you send him synopsis & 1st chapter with query? I don't remember sending a synopsis...

RKLipman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
Thank you!

I didn't send a synopsis, because I found their guidelines on the main page unclear (one of the places and Oxford comma would really help things out) and Jim's specific guidelines didn't mention it.

Also, because synopses are the devil.

(But yes, query + first chapter.)

He said he found 72 queries in his spam box TODAY. So. Depending on when you sent, I'd say listen to Kaitie and resend.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Thank you!

I didn't send a synopsis, because I found their guidelines on the main page unclear (one of the places and Oxford comma would really help things out) and Jim's specific guidelines didn't mention it.

Also, because synopses are the devil.

(But yes, query + first chapter.)

He said he found 72 queries in his spam box TODAY. So. Depending on when you sent, I'd say listen to Kaitie and resend.

Thanks for responding. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who read confusing/conflicting guidelines! I only sent query & first chapter too.

I agree, synopses are evil! :evil

RKLipman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
Just got a rejection on my full with Jim. Pretty form-ish, said he just didn't fall in love with it.

This is my first rejection based on the full, and it's a bit more sad-making than a query rejection, as it turns out. Someone pass the vodka?

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Jim McCarthy on Feb 24, no response as of yet. Sounds like I might need to resend in a week or three.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway: does anyone at D&G besides Jim respond to queries?

I've been rejected by Michael and Miriam.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Separate manuscripts. Though for what it's worth, I did query Jim after being rejected by Michael.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Just got a rejection on my full with Jim. Pretty form-ish, said he just didn't fall in love with it.

This is my first rejection based on the full, and it's a bit more sad-making than a query rejection, as it turns out. Someone pass the vodka?

I hear ya. I got a rejection earlier this week that made me go "ouch" and burst into tears. *glugs vodka*

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speak of the devil, and get the horns. :)

Form R this morning.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jim 13th of March. Followed up after and got a full request today. I'd gone in his spam folder.