The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like Kesler. But I'm sure I can dig up a link to show why some women do.

OK, I dug up the link myself. I see... Also, I saw from one article that your honey Luongo was also asked to pose but declined. (What players on your team do you like?)

Hard to be a Canucks fan on the east coast, guys...rarely are your games broadcast here. I may end up rooting for you this year, though. I despise many of the teams in the playoffs from the Eastern Conference. Familiarity breeds such a thing, I suppose.

Today I'm thinking baseball. I'm going to an exhibition game this afternoon. I'll see if they have that same clip they played last year before games, showing assorted Nats working out. Woof.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Hathor, I think Kesler is a good player, but not pretty. At least not to me. There are plenty of players on the team I think are great at their job, but as a rule, none of them are particularly attractive.

Quickbread-It was weird that I had so many responses yesterday. It's been pretty quiet over here for a long time. Hopefully those with the full MS will respond shortly, too.

Beckstah-Thanks, hon.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know what's happening? Every agent I have sent anything to is taking my stuff and putting it somewhere on the interwebs and then they are all pointing and laughing together. That's what's happening.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
35 minutes. Not too shabby
icon10.gif

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
honestly. And my 2 week partial hope period is expiring tomorrow. Blerg. If I get the j o b then I guess I won't mind so much.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Bleah. Seven business days since I nudged an editor where I had a genuine and flattering referral for my NF. Said editor had told me he'd get to my chapters in one or two weeks, and it's been over two months.

Surely, if he didn't like the chapters, he'd just beg off. Right? Editors have lots of practice doing that.

So why doesn't he? I'd prefer a straight rejection to all this speculation on my part. Maybe he likes it but has to convince someone else at the company. Maybe he sent it out to someone else to vet. Maybe he'd editing it already. Maybe he's coming up with a list of how I need to change the book. Maybe he has responded, but I've offended the Internet gods so he didn't get my nudge or I didn't get his response. Maybe my book was so bad he decided to escape to Nepal and meditate upon a different future, away from publishing.

Meanwhile, my beloved Nats tied the game in the bottom of the ninth. Unfortunately, the home plate umpire didn't see it that way. Considerable vocal dissent from the stands ensued. After I came home I discovered that we've sent a perfectly serviceable pitcher to the minors, while one of our expensive new starters continues to stink up the place.

And the Sabres rallied and won, meaning the Caps are tied with them for eighth place (last playoff position) with only two games left. (Although conceivably we could still win the division and thus get the third seed.)

The two two school board candidates I voted for yesterday in the primary lost.

Finally, I weighed myself this morning. Big mistake. Here, I'd been good and stayed away from the beer and assorted crap at the game yesterday.

This is shaping up to be a fine even-numbered day. Maybe I'll run books two and three through ClicheCleaner and what free programs I can find and see how crappy my fiction writing is also. Then go in my backyard and see how much of the new landscaping didn't make it, either because of the damn deer eating stuff they aren't supposed to like or we're sitting on top of an Indian burial ground and just didn't realize it until now.

Rant over. How you all doing?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I sent out my first submission for the year (first one in nearly a year) Sunday night.

So yesterday and today my fantasies all ran wild. They were going to love the story. They were going to ask for more of my work. Once this story was printed, dozens of anthologies would call clamoring to reprint it. Other magazines would call to print anything by me. I'd become famous over night.

Then about half an hour ago I received the rejection and all my hopes and dreams were cast off the cliff onto the jagged rocks of reality.

Why do I do this to myself?

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I sent out my first submission for the year (first one in nearly a year) Sunday night.

So yesterday and today my fantasies all ran wild. They were going to love the story. They were going to ask for more of my work. Once this story was printed, dozens of anthologies would call clamoring to reprint it. Other magazines would call to print anything by me. I'd become famous over night.

Then about half an hour ago I received the rejection and all my hopes and dreams were cast off the cliff onto the jagged rocks of reality.

Why do I do this to myself?

Sorry to hear that, Shadow Ferret D: I hope the next one is a winner.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
You know the story of the scorpion and the frog right?

Um, no. Never heard of it. Is it about a frog who tries to sell a story to this scorpion but the scorpion stings him and every day the frog thinks "today that scorpion will buy my story" but every day the scorpion keeps stinging the frog until finally the scorpion gets fed up by the frog's pesterings and just stings the shit out of the frog, then tears him up into little bite-sized chunks, and eats him?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Um, no. Never heard of it. Is it about a frog who tries to sell a story to this scorpion but the scorpion stings him and every day the frog thinks "today that scorpion will buy my story" but every day the scorpion keeps stinging the frog until finally the scorpion gets fed up by the frog's pesterings and just stings the shit out of the frog, then tears him up into little bite-sized chunks, and eats him?

Close enough.

A scorpion needed to cross a stream, but he knew he'd drown without help, so he approached a frog and asked for a ride.

The frog said, "What? Are you crazy? You'll sting me and I'll die!"

The scorpion said, "That would be stupid. I'd die too."

The frog thought about it and agreed to give the scorpion a lift.

Half-way across the stream the scorpion stung the frog.

The frog said, "What the hell man? You'll die too! Why did you do that?"

The scorpion said, "I'm a scorpion, it's my nature."

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Okay, so one of my fulls just came back -- I got a very detailed rejection that was overflowing with praise for practically everything about the writing, the story, the characters, the execution ... except a certain something the agent couldn't articulate that's prompting her to step aside. Maybe she just didn't fall in love.

I just wanna be loved ... (sigh)....

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
You know what? I've figured it out. All this time I've been reading stuff from other aspiring writers and often thinking "But mine isn't like that at all!" and thinking that was a GOOD thing. But guess what? I was wrong. NO ONE wants my story. NOBODY.

That is all. I am quitting for today. Also have been cooped up with sick child for entire week. BLERG.

Status
Not open for further replies.