Representation Offer! *Updated*

Status
Not open for further replies.

jr0127

Registered
Reaction score
***UPDATE***

I've been offered representation by a newer agent at Serendipity Lit. Agency who is interested in shopping my manuscript to the big six. I'm very pro-self publishing so I'm still on the fence about whether or not to shop this manuscript but they were very receptive and open with ideas on how to proceed. Any arguments for/against trad. pubbing vs. self publishing?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Earlier this week I was contacted by an agent from Serendipity Lit. Agency who discovered my work on Wattpad.

I'd been doing back and forth critiques with one of her interns on WP (who I wasn't aware worked at an agency) and she recommended my work her boss, connected the two of us, and now we're in early talks about working together. She's looking over the full manuscript over the weekend & we're scheduled for a second phone call early next week.

I'm excited/nervous and certainly wasn't expecting to be having a conversation with an agent about my work. Not too sure what to expect next, but I'm hoping everything goes well :)

Last edited:

jr0127

Registered
Reaction score
They've got a good track record with PoC NF and fiction. Good luck!

Thanks for the insight Cathy! I've read a bit about their lead agent Regina Brooks and she's got a solid & diverse background in those genres. I'm speaking with one of their newer agents, but she said she was very interested in working with me not only b/c they were excited about the manuscript but also because it's rarer to find African-American writers who write YA & NA. I'm looking forward to learning more about the agency & what they can do!

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, congrats on that! :D

I've heard about agents searching for books on Wattpad but I thought it was just a rumor. For awhile I've considered putting a book up on there, not to find an agent but just to see if people like it.

jr0127

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, congrats on that! :D

I've heard about agents searching for books on Wattpad but I thought it was just a rumor. For awhile I've considered putting a book up on there, not to find an agent but just to see if people like it.

Thank you! Yeah it's a pretty amazing place, especially if you're looking to test your book on a market/audience and see how they respond (there's a massive readership on Wattpad).

I wrote the book for fun initially and it garnered a pretty significant following over the 2.5 years I've had it posted. Wattpad offered to add me to their Featured Authors program when I completed the book last month (which is a really great opportunity for exposure). A few weeks after it began it's run on their featured list an agent reached out to me.

I'd encourage you to join if you're interested in getting your work in front of an active & responsive audience (particularly if you write YA or NA fiction). I have a few writer friends on Wattpad who found agents and secured big six pub deals after their books became massively popular (1million + hits). Granted, what they ended up publishing was night and day different from their initial drafts on Wattpad but it certainly can happen!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats and good luck! :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
CGs and best of luck with the call -- and beyond!

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd encourage you to join if you're interested in getting your work in front of an active & responsive audience (particularly if you write YA or NA fiction). I have a few writer friends on Wattpad who found agents and secured big six pub deals after their books became massively popular (1million + hits). Granted, what they ended up publishing was night and day different from their initial drafts on Wattpad but it certainly can happen!

Oh that's tempting... and terrifying. I'm going to have to think about it and fret for a week or two at least. lol

And once again, good luck!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
My personal opinion would be to go with representation. There's nothing that requires you to accept an offer, but an agent can get you into publisher's doors you can't by yourself. If the agent shops it and gets an offer you can then weigh it against the SP option. Best of both worlds, IMO!

Status
Not open for further replies.