Status
Not open for further replies.

nlowell

I don't do short.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
solarclipper.com
I'm not seeing where else this goes so, beg pardon if I've fauxed pas.

In the discussion about Ridan Publishing, Victoria Strauss made a comment about platform and fan base which LMiller111 amplified.

The recap is that it's not the author's job to create the fanbase or platform, but rather that this was something that a publisher would develop. The implication was that the publisher would get the work in front of the consumer and that the author's role there was ... I don't know what. Collect royalties, maybe.

I may be reading too much into it or have completely missed the point, but that idea is so completely backwards from what I've run into while working with publishers and agents, I wanted to explore it a little more.

I've been told by more than one publisher (ok, only three) that having a good book is a good start but won't actually cut it in the market place. If you can't bring evidence that you have an audience with you, you should stay home until you can. More and more of them are talking about the "author's platform" ... a presence that goes beyond a work and includes things like presence in the web and social media, a marketing awareness if not a formal plan, a fan base, and evidence that the author can actually sell the work, not just write it.

Logically that made sense to me. I guess because I assumed that, when looking at two relatively comparable properties, the publisher will pick the one that's easier to sell -- that is, the one with a fanbase and marketing presence already established -- over the one where they have to start from scratch to just get the word out there at all.

But what I'm hearing from VictoriaStrauss and LMiller111 is that this is not the typical publisher response -- or at least not the usually author attitude.

What I'm seeing in the marketplace seems to support my view, but I can't help wonder if perhaps I'm looking in the wrong marketplace.

Thoughts?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
The posts in that thread aren't saying that fiction authors shouldn't self-promote. Many publishers will recommend that an author gets a blog and/or website.

What they're saying is...

1) Basic promotion is not the author's job. The publisher is the one who gets the book into bookstores, sends it to major review outlets for reviews and other things that get the book in front of the customer.

2) The author's self-promotion will happen after they get the book deal. They don't need an existing fan base to get the deal. All they need is a great book the publisher thinks will sell.

3) Self-promotion isn't required for the book to sell to customers, because the publisher will still promote whatever the author does. Most authors do choose to self promote... but if they didn't, the book would still be in the bookstores, get reviews and sell.

Last edited:

nlowell

I don't do short.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
solarclipper.com
The crux

I don't know that I agree that basic promotion is not the author's job, but that point aside, your point number 2 seems to be the crux.

I'm being told by publishers that a good book is not enough. That they expect to see a fanbase before they'll consider a deal. What they're looking for is a good book by an author with an established platform who isn't afraid of getting his or her hands dirty by dealing with the marketing.

If you can't get a publisher, then the rest of the equation is null.

You're working with publishers that *don't* have that requirement?

As for publishers promoting whatever the author does, I haven't seen that publishers are famous for sinking marketing dollars into new/unknown authors. What I have seen is a lot of authors who can't earn their advances back because the publisher hasn't invested in marketing and then they get into trouble on subsequent works.

Sure, putting books in bookstores is great--when it happens and when the books sell but returns are killers.

And I guess I'm puzzled by why *wouldn't* you want to make your work as salable as possible by developing your platform?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, books can earn out even with the advance not earning out. And good publishers anticipate returns. Those who don't end up in trouble financially.

I find it strange that a publisher would not consider authors without platforms. Sure you'd cut the slush in half, but what sense does it make to pass up a really good manuscript you're sure will sell just because the author doesn't have a fanbase? Having a fanbase doesn't guarantee sales, after all - even Stephen King has had his duds. I don't think any good publisher would let a good book slip and get picked up by another publisher because they were an author without a fanbase.

What do you define as 'marketing'? Publishers send your book out for reviews, pitch them to the bookstores. If they don't put money into marketing you, how do they expect to make money from your book right? Publishers do quite a bit authors don't see. I expect a publisher to 'take care of the marketing' and I expect to assist in promotion.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The idea of a "platform" comes from non-fiction where you often need to be some kind of subject-expert if you want people to buy your book.

It is being imported wholesale into the fiction world, often by instant experts who aren't actually directly involved in mainstream fiction publishing.

Whatever a fiction author should or should not do, I think using the term "platform" is just confusing the issue.

When I write a book about orchid growing people can already be fan of my great orchid advice and I can have a degree in horticulture. If I write a novel about dragon magic what exactly is my fanbase or platform? The main thing is it just has to be a good book.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
It comes across as though you've been published by micropresses with no distribution. They may demand you have a following, that you contact bookstores to get them to stock your book and not take returns, but that doesn't mean it's standard to do those things.

Other publishers have returns policies that don't bankrupt them, they get the books into bookstores and they don't care if you're an unknown when you start out (agents don't care either for the matter, and an agent will open doors for getting published by the biggest publishers).

It's great that you're happy with your situation. However, being happy doesn't change the fact that it doesn't work that way outside of the micropress world. Outside of that world, publishers will take a chance on a new author and invest in marketing them. Publishers don't need an author to arrive with a pre-built following (it's not like they're going to complain if you've got one, but there's no reason to hold off submitting because you haven't got one).

nlowell

I don't do short.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
solarclipper.com
Thanks!

Yes, I *am* living in an indie, micropress world. After seeing what happened with some of my peers with deals at Random House and St. Martins, I decided that I really didn't want to follow in their footsteps.

Of course, it's entirely likely that I couldn't, even if I wanted to, because I write crap and I needed to find a publisher who was willing to leverage my fanbase for their own profit. Since maximizing my paycheck happens to be my purpose in publishing, that's a sort of win-win for me while it might not suit others.

One of the problems with living in a kind of silo is that you become isolated from anything happening outside of it. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

LMILLER111

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I think nathan has a point in that authors with a fan base get attention from publishers. For small publishers, like Ridan Publishing, seeking out writers with a fanbase is actually a smart move. I've seen other small presses do this (large pubs too). They often offer those writers contracts that they'd never offer to just anyone. It would give the lion-share of the profits to the author rather than publisher. eg, we'll pay you 30% of cover + x$ advance if you let us publish your next novel. That way the publisher establishes itself as a company that produces good work, and they don't go in the red for their first few titles. But I hope Ridan starts taking chances on new authors. I would love to see what they could do with an author that has zero fan base. That will be what i watch to decide if they're a company I want to submit to.

Status
Not open for further replies.