Poetry discussion group

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
In the recent postings by Poetinahat and Appalachian Writer, it seems that a lot of people are interested in bettering, if not perfecting their style and skill at writing poetry. The general consensus seems to show that many posters want to take their verses to the next level, and create poems as well written as possible.

Of course, I think the best way to improve poetry is to read other poets and learn from them, and to share thoughts on other poets, and other poet's techniques. This is fine, using the critique board, which helps, but I think it would also be beneficial to perhaps have certain famous works discussed routinely, and analyzed, in hope of learning new tricks and styles, and gain exposure to new poets, and new views on familiar poets.

What I am trying to suggest, is that perhaps someone can choose a poet, or an anthology of poetry, and we can perhaps, as a group, try to come up with some feelings and conclusions on technical aspects of the poetry. The book club thread seems to be quite silent in terms of poetry, and I think this sort of discussion would help give more poets more exposure to different styles, and different periods of literature that have previously been neglected for lack of information.

Any takers?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I've been thinking the same thing for awhile.
I'd definitely be game to participate in such a forum/thread.
When you mentioned Prufock on the other thread I went and re-read it.
There are some sections in this awesome poem that I don't understand,
like "streets that follow like a tedious argument of insidious intent."
Would be neat to post a part of that mutually appreciated poem,
or some other classic one of yore, and discuss it from a variety of standpoints.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great idea, JBI. Would you recommend a book to start?

I'd also mention the Rate-a-Poem threads in Poetry Discussion, and the Blind Spots thread as well. Just, you know, for other ideas.

Deleted member 42

My first thought was the Norton Anthology of Poetry, which covers poetry in English, from the tenth century to a couple years ago--it's lovely, and encompassing, and huge and about fifty bucks.

So now I'm thinking The Seagull Reader, which just came out in a second edition last year, and is easy to hold and read, and is about twenty bucks, and covers English and American, and all time periods.

http://www.wwnorton.com/college/titles/english/seagull2/contents_poems2.htm

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0393930939/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

I also really like The Making of a Poem, but it too is huge and costly.

http://www.wwnorton.com/catalog/spring01/032178.htm

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking to go with more personal anthologies, and start with ones that are available in the public domain to start, so canonical works.

How about Lyric Ballads as a starting point? or perhaps something earlier, like Marvell or Donne.

I'm skeptical about the major anthologies, because I feel (I have only read an early edition of the Norton one) that they offer a wide range, but not enough specifics. It's a good place to start as an introduction to poetry, but not nearly as specific, or as personal as I would hope for specific discussion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Err.... there's this, if you'd like.

I created it for an intro to lit class a few years ago.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another idea: maybe The Rubaiyat? Of course, quatrain after quatrain may be tedious.

I think Marvell and Donne are excellent ideas for starting points.

Or we could go for a full Chaucerization: Lisa could just conduct the whole workshop in Middle English.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Looking forward to talking about some works. I have a few in mind, but I have to check the public domain thing before I post. That's always such a pain. Maybe I could suggest reading things that aren't in public domain. What do ya think?

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
First off, I love this idea. I'm in!

Secondly:

Err.... there's this, if you'd like.

I created it for an intro to lit class a few years ago.
Lisa! Thanks. That's an amazing resource. I'd love to work with an anthology like this. Great span of poets and time periods.

Another thought:

How cool would it be to book the chat room, say every Thursday night at 9pm (or whenever) so that we could discuss specific poems in detail?

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm that's an idea, we would have to agree on a day though, and I think Thursday and Saturday are already reserved.

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
And I guess, from that collection, we can start with this one, my personal favorite, and an extremely rich, and yielding poem.

Song

1Go and catch a falling star,
2 Get with child a mandrake root,
3Tell me where all past years are,
4 Or who cleft the devil's foot,
5Teach me to hear mermaids singing,
6Or to keep off envy's stinging,
7 And find
8 What wind
9Serves to advance an honest mind.

10If thou be'st born to strange sights,
11 Things invisible to see,
12Ride ten thousand days and nights,
13 Till age snow white hairs on thee,
14Thou, when thou return'st, wilt tell me,
15All strange wonders that befell thee,
16 And swear,
17 No where
18Lives a woman true, and fair.

19If thou find'st one, let me know,
20 Such a pilgrimage were sweet;
21Yet do not, I would not go,
22 Though at next door we might meet;
23Though she were true, when you met her,
24And last, till you write your letter,
25 Yet she
26 Will be
27False, ere I come, to two, or three.

Notes

2] mandrake root: a forked root supposed to resemble the human shape. Always male.
Mermaids, I would note also are genderless, and only lead to destruction of sailors who hear their singing, and are drawn towards cliffs.

I would also like to question, perhaps, if Donne is punning on the first line, with Falling Star, as reference to both the impossible feat, and the inconstant woman, mentioned bellow.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
how 'bout a line by line break down of what each line might mean, for starts.
Maybe just lines 1-9 for starts.

Last edited:

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
1Go and catch a falling star, Impossible. Star can also be in reference to the unnamed woman's virginity.
2 Get with child a mandrake root, This is also impossible because a) all Mandrake Roots are male, and b) they get castrated when dug up from the ground (according to Donne's sources).
3Tell me where all past years are, This literally means, I think stop time, or relive time.
4 Or who cleft the devil's foot, This is also impossible, because no one knows.
5Teach me to hear mermaids singing, The sirens song meant death to anyone who heard them, with the exception of Odysseus.
6Or to keep off envy's stinging, This Donne uses to allude to the fact that every person is envious
7 And find
8 What wind
9Serves to advance an honest mind. And this is used humorously, talking about how no one helps the honest.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
good job JBI! Have to study these a bit and think them over.
One technical question I have: Is "wind" pronounced why-nd so it rhymes with "find" and "mind?" If so do examples in other poems follow suit, in accordance with the ways words used to be pronounced? When reciting poems, aloud, I never am sure if I'm doing so correctly.

Deleted member 42

good job JBI! Have to study these a bit and think them over.
One technical question I have: Is "wind" pronounced why-nd so it rhymes with "find" and "mind?" If so do examples in other poems follow suit, in accordance with the ways words used to be pronounced? When reciting poems, aloud, I never am sure if I'm doing so correctly.

Donne's making a pun; "wind" is pronounced like the verb, as in "to wind"--like a watch, which is the underlying metaphor of "serves to advance an honest mind." Note too that the noun "wind" is also at play, wind as a propelling force, and that links directly to the nature/science dichotomy Donne obsesses over.

Honest here is also a pun; meaning honest or "true," and honest or "chaste."

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
a pun on wind? Wow, I'd never have guess that in a million years...or 2 billion ticks of the clock as it were. That really sheds light on the stanza.

Only thing I was able to glean myself, with JBI's explanations, was that it might be in reference to the immaculate conception: star falling from heavens, mandrake root impossibly begetting a child.

Will try my hand at second stanza. Try to refrain from laughter. If nothing else my lame interpretation may give you both an idea of how off base many average readers are when trying to grasp the meaning of a poem, without the requisite knowledge for a proper evaluation. Here (gulp, gulp) goes:

10If thou be'st born to strange sights,
12Ride ten thousand days and nights,
14Thou, when thou return'st, wilt tell me,
15All strange wonders that befell thee,
16 And swear,
17 No where
18Lives a woman true, and fair.

Well this entire stanza actually seems pretty straighfoward.
Donne is praising the woman by asking readers to traverse 10,000 days into the future and to see if they don't find any woman as comparable in charms as she.
I'm particularly intrigued by "snow white hairs" as a way of describing our age as hypothetical time travelers. Why the use of "snow," and not some other word?

chuckle, chuckle: Donne's specific mention of "nights," as well as "days," to imply that the woman's chasity/trueness is also to be contrasted and compared, which would be a piece of cake in these liberated times of our own ;)

How about helping out with the interpretation/critique of the last stanza Medievalist...
(much appreciated)

Last edited:

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with your reading with the second stanza, but I will wait for more people to comment on it.

Deleted member 42

2] mandrake root: a forked root supposed to resemble the human shape. Always male.

Err, no, not always male. There are references in early texts, texts that Donne would have known, to both male and female roots. The other names of the mandrake are Mandragora and May Apple. Here's some more. If you look at the pictures here you can see why it's also called May Apple.

Donne was exceedingly well-read and vastly over educated; I suspect Milton was the only person who would have given him a run for his money, in that respect. So he knew that Pliny and Dioscorides discuss the mandrake as a soporiphic and aphrodisiac. In fact in another poem, The Progresse of the soule," Donne says that when Satan plucked the apple and gave it to Eve, the apple's soul fled and inhabited a plant in the soil nearby:

[quote="Donne's Progresse of the Soule]XV.

His right arm he thrust out towards the east,
Westward his left; the ends did themselves digest
Into ten lesser strings, these fingers were:
And, as a slumberer, stretching on his bed,
This way he this, and that way scattered
His other leg, which feet with toes upbear;
Grew on his middle part, the first day, hair.
To shew that in love's business he should still
A dealer be, and be used, well or ill:
His apples kindle, his leaves force of conception kill.

XVI.

A mouth, but dumb, he hath; blind eyes, deaf ears,
And to his shoulders dangle subtle hairs;
A young Colossus there he stands upright;
And, as that ground by him were conquered,
A lazy garland wears he on his head
Enchased with little fruits so red and bright,
That for them ye would call your love's lips white;
So of a lone unhaunted place possess'd,
Did this Soul's second inn, built by the guest,
This living buried man, this quiet mandrake, rest.

XVII.

No lustful woman came this plant to grieve,
But 'twas because there was none yet but Eve,
And she (with other purpose) killed it quite:
Her sin had now brought in infirmities,
And so her cradled child the moist-red eyes
Had never shut, nor slept, since it saw light:
Poppy she knew, she knew the mandrake's might,
And tore up both, and so cooled her child's blood.
Unvirtuous weeds might long unvexed have stood,
But he's short-lived that with his death can do most good.[/quote]

In Genesis 30:14 Reuben finds mandrakes growing in a field, and gives them to his mother. His mother, Leah, is one of Jacob's wives, as is her sister Rachel. Rachel wants the mandrakes and trades a night in Jacob's bed for the mandrakes. Leah, who had not conceived for a long time, then bore a son.

There's a tradition in Hebrew commentary for mandrake as an aphrodesiac, which makes sense given the references in the Song of Solomen/Canticles 7:13.

There were also folklore beliefs that under proper growing conditions that the mandrake would in fact sprout a human.

I think, then, that among other ideas in the line "Get with child a mandrake root," is essentially suggesting that, among other "impossible" things, that the mandrake, the plant that makes women pregnant, will itself become pregnant.

There's also a bit of what modern critical theory calls gender fuck, as JBI notes; the idea of a "male" plant becoming pregnant, for instance.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
Can someone, in addition to writing analysis of the third, begin analysis of the prosody of the poem?

Deleted member 42

Only thing I was able to glean myself, with JBI's explanations, was that it might be in reference to the immaculate conception: star falling from heavens, mandrake root impossibly begetting a child.

I think maybe that the idea of virginity is a red herring.

There's a rhetorical tradition associated very strongly with the University tradition of Donne's time of assigning orations on paradoxical themes, like the value of a flea, or that women can be chaste. Thes prose paradoxes were an exercise in wit, more a mock oration than one to be taken seriously.

Donne actually wrote a number of these, and one of them is about women's inability to be constant, or faithful. In Donne's Paradox VI: That it is possible to find Some Virtue in Women, he provides spurious instances of feminine virtue, or “fortitude”:

Donne's Paradox VI: That it is possible to find Some Virtue in Women said:
consider how valiant men they have overthrown, and being themselves overthrown, how much and how patiently they bear.” Concluding “it is my great happiness that examples prove not rules, for to confirm this opinion, the world yields not one example.

Again, notice that Donne has a thing for using one word with two meanings.

If we look back at the second stanza:

10 If thou be'st born to strange sights,
12 Ride ten thousand days and nights,
14 Thou, when thou return'st, wilt tell me,
15 All strange wonders that befell thee,
16 And swear,
17 No where
18 Lives a woman true, and fair.

The basic argument of this poem, with its references to things that are impossible, like catching a falling star, getting a mandrake root pregnant, seeing invisible things, etc., is that it is just as impossible to find a woman who is both true (meaning truthful, and sexually faithful) and fair, that is, attractive.

This is a standard misogynistic trope, a commonplace, if you will.

This is, by the way, an actual song--Donne did apparently set it to music, as did several other contemporary and near-contemporaries.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Knowledge of a poet's stylistic manner of grammatical construction would seem helpful too in deciphering the meaning of lines, like: "Get with child a mandrake root." How would this be rearranged into an ordinary sentence, by Donne and other poets of the time. Probably no general standard, but still some fixed parameters I'd suppose. So along with an examination of prosody (have no clue what this is, shamed to say) how about a rewrite of the stanzas into conventional english?

Thanks Lisa. Now I completely understand the 2nd stanza. Didn't know that misogyny was so rampant back then. My only near familarity with the era comes from reading 18th century novels, based on 17th century ones, which had heroines in them like Clarissa Harlowe.

Last edited: