poetry therapy

meriel

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good self help poetry therapy books? I have no poetry talent, and am looking for EASY ideas. I've found some cute ideas by searching teacher lesson plan sites, but am hoping to find a few books. Children's books are OK sometimes, but I'd also like some adult books too.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
I'm curious, are you looking for "therapy" books to help you read/write/understand poetry or are you looking for poetry books for you to read to help with other issues in your life or are you looking for poetry books to help others in some way?

kid

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not about therapy per se, but Ted Kooser's The Poetry Home Repair Manual is well-written, enjoyable to read, and very helpful.

I'm not sure what the therapy issue is, meriel, but I can recommend this book for a start. Ted Kooser's a former US Poet Laureate, but he also happens to be very good at making his readers comfortable.

Welcome to the AW Poetry Forum - perhaps we can help each other.

meriel

Registered
Reaction score
I just learned about poetry therapy recently. I guess it is similar to art therapy. They are about the process, not the product. They are geared towards people that may have no talent at all. Projects often include a self discovery aspect.

I have no natural talent for art or poetry, but have decided not to let that stop me. I'm content to make bad art :) And when I study, sometimes I find some instructions that are so clear, that when I try them, I am absolutely AMAZED at what I have produced.

Poetinahat, I will check the library for the book you mentioned. It sounds good.

I guess I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for :-0

I found instructions for writing limerick's, and wrote a VERY funny one for a friend I'm sure she will love. It's so horrible it's great.

I guess I just want to have some fun and maybe sometimes delve into some self discovery work. I want to please ME, not an audience. I want to amuse myself and heal myself.

meriel

Registered
Reaction score
I think I've found a great book on Amazon.com. It's called "In-Versing Your Life: A poetry Workbook for Self-discovery and Healing.

Thanks for welcoming me :)

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually involved with poetry courses as creative therapy for troubled teens and young adults at my local YMCA...hmmm...a book, you say? Interesting....

meriel

Registered
Reaction score
It's really hard to find poetry therapy resources :-( It's mentioned a LOT, but there seems to be so little literature available. I'm having "In-versing Your Life" sent to my local Barnes and Nobles. I should have it in a few days.

kborsden, I'll tell you what I think of it.