The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
Wow, I thought I had been banned for sure because I couldn't stick to the topic so Pa sucks and my cover is the ugliest so it is only fitting that it should win!:wag:
I was getting antsy, too, Mem. I do tend to get mouthy at times, but it's only because I'm not getting enough sugar -- like Twinkies and Ho-hos and BROWNIES. Don't worry about your cover -- it's supposed to be ugly. It's ... Moe-randa.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
Me, too, M-Ed. Thank God, it was just system gremlins. :Jump:
Hey Little Missy, I think you and Ed have been doing to much gremlin crap behind closed doors at the user cp room and that's what made the bulbs go out~ so knock it off you two!:Hammer:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
I was getting antsy, too, Mem. I do tend to get mouthy at times, but it's only because I'm not getting enough sugar -- like Twinkies and Ho-hos and BROWNIES. Don't worry about your cover -- it's supposed to be ugly. It's ... Moe-randa.
:roll: I'm gonna take that as a compliment I think. Victoria told me it was soooooooooo ugly and I've been sitting here wondering if that was suppose to be a compliment. :Huh: If I win, I'll know it was:tongue

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
Hey Little Missy, I think you and Ed have been doing to much gremlin crap behind closed doors at the user cp room and that's what made the bulbs go out~ so knock it off you two!:Hammer:
Are you insultin' my virtue? (Which Ed?);) I think you've had TOO MUCH sugar. :roll:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
Are you insultin' my virtue? (Which Ed?);) I think you've had TOO MUCH sugar. :roll:
Which Ed? All of the Ed's! Ten browies are not that much! I have to eat that many to maintain my battle stamina with pa.:snoopy:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
lindylou45 said:
Just log onto PASucks and vote for your favorite Pickler sidekick.
Do your civic duty and VOTE.

And don't forget to sign on for the Over the Rainbow Prom Queens Kick-Azz Tour, too. :)

bluwinteryfox

fun's my middle name
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
lindylou45 said:
Tomorrow is the last day to enter The Pickler Sidekick Contest. Get your entries in as soon as you can.

Just log onto PASucks and vote for your favorite Pickler sidekick.
Linda can we vote for ourselves? Can we vote more than once? We've got to be careful. If my fellow contestants become as unhinged as those of us in the fake cover contest..........

Vote for me. Vote for me.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
bluwinteryfox said:
Linda can we vote for ourselves? Can we vote more than once? We've got to be careful. If my fellow contestants become as unhinged as those of us in the fake cover contest..........

Good Lord! I can see it now. I'm gonna have to stay up all night just to fight off the late night campaigners!:box:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Moondancer said:
She would have done better with Lulu.com, an outright vanity publisher. After all, look what they did for Travis Tea.

Lulu's just a printer, like any other printer in the phone book. Vanities are places like AuthorHouse, iUniverse, Xlibris, Dorrance, Vantage, and ... PublishAmerica.

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Memphis Ed said:
I'm suggesting that everyone on this board, lurkers and posters, PA or not, each purchase a bottle of Elvis wine from their liquor store (bottled by Graceland Cellars) and keep it on hand for emergencies such as this board going down.

So, ummm, where do we pour it into the computer?
confused.gif

OH, we DRINK it???
emoticonsscared.gif

I think I'll stick with something from a *traditional vineyard*....:)

To stay OT: if PA were a *traditional vineyard*, they would make all their workers stomp on raisins trying to make wine, would bottle it in old pickle jars, would mislabel it, sell it at gas stations, and if they were lucky it'd taste like a really, really bad bottle of Thunderbird that had been left open behind the counter at 7-11 for two years.

Funny...now that Elvis wine is sounding pretty good to me!
smileyflag.gif

Kris

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
bluwinteryfox said:

As far as I'm concerned, you can vote as many times as you like. Heck, even your dead uncle Earl can vote if he wants!

Gratian Gasparri

Grand Inquisitor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.surprisedbycanonlaw.com
CaoPaux said:
From: http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/8868.htm where an author sells 60 books after a lecture. I wonder if he realizes the Truth he is speaking?

I've corresponded with the particular PA author in the past. He's another good guy that could have really made something of his book if he had a real publisher backing him. Most kids with his background (bounced from group home to group home, suffered abuse in several of them) would have ended up in jail, in ditch, or in the morgue. Instead he endeavored to rise above his background and make something of himself.

I'm glad he has bounced since, if I recall correctly, he was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy for a while. Again, he's the type of author we're trying to help in holding PA accountable.

On another note, I'm likely to be off-line for a while. My guy was just elected Pope earlier today. He's been my most favorite theologian for as far back as I can remember. Because I was a staunch supporter of his when it was assumed he could never be elected pope, I'm getting bombarded from all over.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
DreamWeaver said:
So, ummm, where do we pour it into the computer?
confused.gif

OH, we DRINK it???
emoticonsscared.gif

I think I'll stick with something from a *traditional vineyard*....:)

To stay OT: if PA were a *traditional vineyard*, they would make all their workers stomp on raisins trying to make wine, would bottle it in old pickle jars, would mislabel it, sell it at gas stations, and if they were lucky it'd taste like a really, really bad bottle of Thunderbird that had been left open behind the counter at 7-11 for two years.

Funny...now that Elvis wine is sounding pretty good to me!
smileyflag.gif

Kris
Chateau Lafeet, vintage: yesterday. It resonates to the high heavens. The fiber will keep you regular, though.:roll:

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Kevin, what a frightening thing to have happen! I hope that your wife will heal quickly, and that they'll be able to prevent any future episodes. I also hope your son quickly recovers from his scare, the poor little guy.

Sending good wishes,

Susan G.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
It's Wednesday morning, and the denizens in the Great and Mighty...

...Land of Poz are discussing a self published book that hit it big...

After many rejections, he & his wife took their savings & "self-published" it on their own. The book went on to sell 8 MILLION COPIES.
But gosh, you're not self-published, you're published by a known traditional publisher who's growing in both numbers and stature every day!
Now THIS is the kind of stuff that belongs on this board as genuine inspiration and encouragement to many, actually
making a difference, rather than the same old, same old,
whining, lamenting, quasi "group therapy" or 12-step-mentality
self-indulgences and diatribe... yawn...
Granted, it's not as exciting as helping lunatics post their own death notices, but still...
We don't need to have extensive marketing or our
books in the bookstores nationwide.
That's good, because you're definitely are not going to get it from PA.
Now, if we can only find a way to get the same media attention.
Actually, your publisher has gotten lots of media attention with much more slated to come. Why aren't they letting y'all in on their secrets for obtaining it, surely it would be an inspiration for all their authors!
The real fun is being in the game and here at PA we have the best game in town.

I think I have sold 12 books so I am well on my way if we disregard zeros. How can so many zeros make so much difference?
It is the best game in town - for Moe-randa, Larry, and Curlem. With a self published book, you would make real money if you sold some copies, money that can be invested in more books to potentially sell in the future. With PA, if you sell books you'll make no money, but that won't be the case for the New Three Stooges! Or for the POD Squad!

Such is another day that unfoldeth in the Great and Mighty Land, a day which will bring hope, promise, and brotherhood for all...

Last edited:

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Get those sales wherever you can get 'em!

For example:

Costco is not tough. I just sold two books over their counter. Bought some new glasses and sold the books to a nice lady who adjusted the new specs.
Actually, I've sold the tire salesman at Sears,
my optometrist, two dental assistants, the next bed patient in a nursing home with my sister-in-law.
We takes 'em where we finds 'em...
I sold a house back in October and sold 7 books to Realtors, 3 to lawyers, and two to the buyer of my house. Oh yeah, I made it to Sears also--the Hearing Aid desk bought 2. Insurance agents are fair game. I placed 7 copies at my agents office. Oh yeah, two went to my tax accountant.
I sold two copies in the food court of Costco last November.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ed Williams said:
For example:
Actually, I've sold the tire salesman at Sears,
my optometrist, two dental assistants, the next bed patient in a nursing home with my sister-in-law.
We takes 'em where we finds 'em...
Those ideas are all classics, but I still believe they'd be better off going with the original idea of a mass signing at their local Jiffy Lube. With some door prizes and primo snacks and some sparkly ink to sign with, plus a surefire steady stream of customers, they can't lose. The customers have already gotten a great deal on a lube job; they'll be in the mood to buy overpriced books. You can't discount all the love the authors would feel resonating off each other, either. It's so warm and fuzzy it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it. :D

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Ed Williams said:
For example: [several quotes telling where and how books have sold, summarized below]

Two books to the glasses lady at Costco, one to the tire salesman at Sears, one to an optometrist, two to dental assistants, one to a patient in a nursing home (that seems a bit TOO opportunistic--talk about a captive audience
frown.gif
), seven to realtors trying to sell one's house, three to lawyers, two to the house buyer, one to a hearing aid salesperson at Sears, two to the tax accountant, seven "placed" at an insurance agent's office, and two copies at the food court at Costco.

Does anyone still wonder why bookstores stay in business, and why an author would want their book shelved in one? ;)

It's so sad that PA has made it almost impossible for their authors' books to sell. It's so sad that that these are success stories. I hope some of these authors will find much better success, once they get rid of that PA anchor around their necks.
EmoteCheer.gif

Kris

Last edited:

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Thank you, sweet lady...

Christine N. said:
They're reinventing the wheel over it pOZ.

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/main/11933.htm

If they mention the Jiffy Lube, I'm :gone:

Ed, I tried to bonk you, but they said I need to bonk others before I can bonk you again. Funny!
....this is one area where I think PA is particularly insidious, they deliberately let their authors fall into the same non-productive traps over and over and over again. These authors will put tons of effort into something that will not pay off at all for them at all, and then they will blame the book buying gods or something (but never PA).

I can't wait for this New York Times thing - if it's negative towards PA, it will put a big ole hole in the bottom of the Great and Mighty Pirate ship...

M. Story

Pollyanna with n attitude
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Kevin, I do hope your wife is doing better and that they find out what caused the seizure.

Gratian, I was raised Catholic, but now belong to a different denomination. I still followed with interest the election of the new pope. Pope Benedict XVI was an excellent choice, IMHO, as he is uncompromising in his Christian beliefs. It is important that he doesn't change the rules to suit the world, but that he remains steadfast in enforcing the rules of an unchanging God.

LynnEtte & T42: This will be mine: ---->>>
EmoteTrophy.gif

To all: After trying to connect to this site last night for a very long time, I finally gave up and read a book instead. I'm glad things are back to normal this morning.

Marlene
<Unannounced winner of the Banned from Both PA Boards Beauty Contest>
emoticonthankyou.gif

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Ed Williams said:
....this is one area where I think PA is particularly insidious, they deliberately let their authors fall into the same non-productive traps over and over and over again. These authors will put tons of effort into something that will not pay off at all for them at all, and then they will blame the book buying gods or something (but never PA).

I can't wait for this New York Times thing - if it's negative towards PA, it will put a big ole hole in the bottom of the Great and Mighty Pirate ship...
Ed, Maybe it would be a good idea if some of us were to write letters to the New York Times to make sure that it is a negative towards pa. They might need a little more ammunition. I think I already wrote to them several months ago but I'd be willing to write another one.
M. put that thing down before you break your back :)

Status
Not open for further replies.