Publish America's Carousel of Magically Rotating Email Offers

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
As it's been pointed out already - PA didn't say EXACTLY that B&N called THEM. Therefore, even if we found out for sure that B&N did or didn't call, PA is off the hook through one of their nicely placed loopholes.

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
As it's been pointed out already - PA didn't say EXACTLY that B&N called THEM. Therefore, even if we found out for sure that B&N did or didn't call, PA is off the hook through one of their nicely placed loopholes.

When I read that I just figured some B&N employee called and maybe asked how to order two books for an author or an author's family member. It's so easy to twist things. I'm just always surprised when people can't see through it.

Had a call today from someone wanting AN acting lesson because she was entering a pagent. *shudder* This pagent is a total rip-off. Has been for ages. And AN acting lesson?? As though I can sum up acting in thirty minutes. :rolleyes:

But... same principle as PA. People just see what they want to sometimes.
(And I do think some people are waaay more prone to this than others)

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Looks like not too many PA authors took PA up on their offer to promote their work by paying for advertising in a little box to the right (below the price) in the PA online bookstore. Today, the box wasn't even there. This morning the box was there, but there was no advertising in the box.

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
Well, the doggedly dedicated writer got a response from B&T:

I received a response from Baker & Taylor regarding the availability (or lack there of) our books online.

"<name>- the issue that is causing the delay is IT related. It should be resolved in a matter of weeks and your titles should then be available for sale on bn.com. They should also be available for sale currently on border.com.

I have seen a few PA books on Borders, with the notation "backordered: 2-3 weeks" A definite indication of PA being on a cash-only diet. So, time will tell if this actually happens. Now, I ordered Stacia Kane's book on Monday and it shipped on Wednesday, should be here by Tuesday (I opted for free shipping, so it is a bit slower).

So, we'll see how this plays out.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Let me get this straight: so PA is pushing authors to buy their own books in order to get listed with bookstores,
when the bookstores are going to be listing the books anyway?
Something like that?
I know there must be a scam involved in this scenario, but I'm too confused to figure it out.

AudioGenius

Registered
Reaction score
Let me get this straight: so PA is pushing authors to buy their own books in order to get listed with bookstores,
when the bookstores are going to be listing the books anyway?
Something like that?
I know there must be a scam involved in this scenario, but I'm too confused to figure it out.

No, PA is pushing PAuthors to buy their own books (insanely overpriced softcover only) in order for the opportunity to have their books recommended by PA to be stocked by Barnes and Noble.

It conveniently puts the responsibility on B&N. When B&N doesn't stock the book, PA can just say, "We recommended your book, but the evil people at B&N refused."

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
another twist in distribution

PA has several Canadian Authors sooo the latest buy your book so we can send it to distributor is:

Dear author:

There's follow-up news from the world of stocking PublishAmerica titles. Yesterday we were called on behalf of Canadian libraries
, to purchase and stock multiple PublishAmerica titles.

Libraries in Canada are routinely supplied by a wholesale service based in Niagara Falls, NY, often to limit shipping and customs expenses.

If you want your book considered for stocking by libraries in Canada, we will let those responsible for the purchase order know. Canada counts 620 libraries.

Go to www.publishamerica.net, find your softcover, use this discount coupon: Canada45 . Minimum order volume is only 3
or more copies. Use the coupon on your softcover only. All non-softcover orders under this coupon will not be processed, so you'll be wasting your money if you try.

Your use of the Canada45 coupon will automatically cause your book to be recommended for stocking in Canada.

Thank you!
--PublishAmerica Bookstore

PS: The Barnes and Noble coupons are also still valid!

---------------------
Advertisement: PublishAmerica recommends "Back to River Road" by Thom Hunter, about two small town jocks in the big city. Buy it here: http://www.publishamerica.net/product90020.html.
---------------------

Again just another email I deleted after posting it here.

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
Some of the complaints about pricing has come from Canadians lately (offers not applying to them, shipping cost too high etc.) so it's my guess that this is an attempt to satisfy them.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Funny thing. My books (published by a US publisher) are in Canadian libraries, and I didn't have to buy books to make that happen.

And that's not all! My books were translated into French, and the French editions are in Canadian libraries, too! And I didn't have to buy books to make that happen. As a matter of fact, I actually got paid for the French language rights.

And there's more!! One of my books (well, I'm co-ghostwriter) was published in the UK, and it's in UK libraries AND (hold on to your hats, ladies and gents) I even get paid every year (PLR) for people checking copies the book out of libraries!! And I still didn't have to buy books to make that happen.

Cuz, yanno, this is how REAL publishers work. Fancy that.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
If you want your book considered for stocking by libraries in Canada, we will let those responsible for the purchase order know.

Your use of the Canada45 coupon will automatically cause your book to be recommended for stocking in Canada.
Seems like PA has added a new template to their weasel word ads: considered and recommended for stocking.

Note the difference between them and actually physically stocking your book.

What next: The Library of Congress? The White House Library? The library at Folsom Prison?

Last edited:

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the complaints about pricing has come from Canadians lately (offers not applying to them, shipping cost too high etc.) so it's my guess that this is an attempt to satisfy them.
I guess PA figured out a way to squeeze some money out of the Canadian authors, since they weren't buying into the other offers.

PA never satisfies anyone but themselves, then they roll over and go to sleep.

Last edited:

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
What next: The Library of Congress? The White House Library? The library at Folsom Prison?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (and you will!:)) but didn't they make an offer using the name of The White House Library?

Too many to keep track of.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (and you will!:)) but didn't they make an offer using the name of The White House Library?

Too many to keep track of.
You are right, but they have new and improved weasel words now.
I expect they will update and recycle their previous offers.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Yesterday we were called on behalf of Canadian libraries, to purchase and stock multiple PublishAmerica titles.

** rolling my eyes ** Does ANYONE believe that libraries, bookstores, gift shops, etc. call PA to purchase and stock multiple copies of PA titles? There is no way to verify such a claim, but we know that PA is straight out lying. Again!

Last edited:

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday we were called on behalf of...

"Please, I'm a Canadian author and none of my friends can find my book in stores or libraries. What can you do to help me?"

Infocenter has lightbulb moment and issues the latest coupon offer to Canadian authors.

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I know libraries order from a catalogue and have book purchasers as well. I know even author's who want to get their books in the libraries have to go through an application process.

Jill Karg

Registered
Reaction score
Another hey we want to make a deal..curtain 3.

The other curtains have great prices but curtain 3 has this....

Dear author:

We can now tap into the world's largest reservoir of expert book reviewers!

Many hundreds of PublishAmerica authors are volunteering to review a book written by their peers. In fact, this morning we counted over a thousand. All are enthusiastic authors such as yourself. They know what obstacles you faced and overcame when you wrote your book. They know how much it takes to write and complete a book. They are positive and constructive.

Have your book reviewed next week!

We will send copies of your book not to one, but to two reviewers. We will post their reviews.

Here's how you secure your two or more reviews:
Go to www.publishamerica.net, find your softcover, use this discount coupon: Review50. Minimum order volume is 4 copies, your discount is 50 pct; we pay half. Use the coupon on your softcover only. All non-softcover orders under the Review50 coupon will not be processed, so you'll be losing your money if you try.

We will select two reviewers and ship a copy to each of them, and the remainder of your order to yourself. You will be promptly notified as soon as we receive the reviews. Our peer reviewers are committed to submitting their review within seven days. Double your order to double the number of reviews. In the Ordering Instructions box say "Double reviews".

Thank you,
--PublishAmerica Author Support Team

So where is this free peer review at...not at PA. I guess I needed an ugg moment today. lol.

Jill Karg

Registered
Reaction score
Many hundreds of PublishAmerica authors are volunteering to review a book written by their peers. In fact, this morning we counted over a thousand. All are enthusiastic authors such as yourself.

FYI: I'm not one of those authors, and will not be one of them. Again, eyes wide open and now working on my other series that I love just as much. It's a children book series geared to 7-12 year olds.

When I have it through the 2nd round of edits will post it for others to critique here.

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
What a brilliant little bit of ego-stroking. Buy books and we'll get other PA authors to write "positive and constructive" reviews for you, so you can feel like a Real Live Author with reviews and everything!

It's not like anybody other than the author and the author's friends are going to read these reviews. But that's also true for the author's books.

Jill Karg

Registered
Reaction score
You want to know a quirky thing though...I have a website with email address for book and received several emails from people I don't know saying they purchased the book (before book went up in price) from both PA and amazon. Now that it is gone up in price I don't expect any sales until I can get the book back.

Again it is only a couple but :Shrug: I was like wow, my google search engines and website actually did work. lmao.

Again sometimes I feel like a rain cloud is over my head on a sunny day. I just do the shrug again and get back to writing the children books.

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
The above PA reviewer email came after this original one:
Dear author:

We are inviting you to volunteer as a book reviewer. PublishAmerica will be seeking peer reviews that we'll print online and elsewhere for everyone to enjoy and learn from.

There is no better expert than a fellow author, who not only understands the art of writing but the mindset of the other writer as well. Peer reviewers have gone through, and overcome, the same challenges that the author faced.

This is an unpaid volunteer job. We'll be sending you the review copy, and you commit to submitting your review within seven days.

If this is something you think you'll enjoy doing on an irregular basis, please return this email to [email protected] by writing "Reviewer yes" followed by your full name. If you prefer to review specific genres, please mention them in the body of the email.

We will ship a book to you to review as soon as we have one available that fits your preferred genre.

Your fellow PublishAmerica authors will love your input!
The second email states that
We can now tap into the world's largest reservoir of expert book reviewers!
I'll admit, I've got reviews by no-name people on my website. But I didn't have to buy books to get them there.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
They invited me to be an unpaid reviewer, too... and that after returning my rights to me several weeks ago. I started to reply with a 'Do you REALLY want me to review PA books? REALLY? TRULY? SERIOUSLY?'.

:roll: