• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nelson Literary Agency, LLC (Kristin Nelson)

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, good to know. I'm going crazy waiting, which is downright stupid cuz it's only been a few days. From everything I've heard about her she sounds great, but I want to make sure she lives up to her rep. Assuming she even offers, LOL.

The best way to get a feel for how an agent operates behind the scenes is to talk to her clients. If Ms. Megibow does offer, definitely ask if you can contact a few of her clients, including at least one of her clients whose work she hasn't sold yet (or at least a client whose work she didn't sell for a long time). I was able to make a much more informed decision after talking to a few clients, and a lot of writers don't seem to realize that making that request is well within their rights.

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
The best way to get a feel for how an agent operates behind the scenes is to talk to her clients.

This...and talk to some of her FORMER clients. I'm not sure how you can go about this, but when I was vetting agents I discovered one of the agents who'd offered me representation was a former agent to one of the authors in my local RWA chapter. I know everybody's situation is unique, but it was very interesting to hear about a failed partnership while I was deciding who I was going to go with. At the very least, it'll help keep you grounded, knowing if/when you do sign that nothing is a guarantee.

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like good advice - thanks, guys. Now I just have to work up the courage to do it. Assuming she even offers. I'm going crazy waiting, LOL.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Have met her twice now at cons/seminars and we share a mutual pal. Lovely person. Doesn't seem to give representation easily. At the seminar, she said that agents these days can't really afford to take on clients unless they know they can sell them. (Know as best they can.)

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
Just heard back - Sara passed on it. Fooey. But she said some nice things in her reject email. :)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Aww man. Sorry, CaPoof. The fact that you got it into her hands is pretty amazing. I'd send it out immediately to another agent.

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Crasters. I feel pretty danged good that she even asked for a full, considering the percentage of people who get that far. I've already got it out to a couple of others, and I'll send it out some more as soon as I get a chance.

E.Murray

Queries suck.
Registered
Reaction score
Sent my suspense/sci-fi query 11/21 and got a partial request the next day.
Today? Full request! It's my first, so the waiting is going to be tough. Her twitter feed sounds like she has a crazy December planned (and I saw on querytracker where she just requested another full 2 days ago), so I'm settling in for a long wait. Guess I'll keep myself busy by querying a few more, since they specifically say they don't want an exclusive.

E.Murray

Queries suck.
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I got the rejection on my full today. Less than 2 weeks is extremely quick (especially since her twitter feed says she requested four fulls in five days...). She said she put mine at the top of the stack because she liked the writing in the 35 page partial I sent. She also said she loved the characters and the hook was "flat out brilliant", but it leaned too much toward horror for her (which is odd, because I don't see that...maybe I need to re-evaluate my genre). Anyway, I truly had zero hope that I'd snag her. The reason is that I'm reading The Darwin Elevator, which she repped, and it's so much better than mine that I realized I have a ways to go before mine is worthy of her. Honestly, I'm thrilled to have her say such nice things about my book. I was pretty bummed about the story from a recent beta and my own self-doubt, so her encouragement actually re-invigorates me to work on it. I'm going to tackle it again in the morning and kill off some more flabby parts so it will be ready for the next submission. Someday.

E.Murray

Queries suck.
Registered
Reaction score
Filigree, that's exactly my hope. I'm working on #2 now and hope to have an "in" with her (assuming #1 doesn't end up going anywhere). In fact, I did a big "no no" and replied to her kind rejection with one simple question and a promise not to reply regardless of her response (or silence). I just wanted to know if she made it all the way through and, if not, where she stopped. It would be incredibly helpful to know where she bombed out.

To my surprise, she answered back and said she read the whole thing. So if she made it through the whole mess (and still loved the characters by the end), I feel good about both the book and her as an agent. She sent a couple emails she didn't have to (to somebody she wasn't going to rep), despite an insane schedule. That, my friend, is class. If you snag her, you're a lucky person.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
I queried Sara Megibow my SF novel on 6/11 and received a request for partial today (6/16).

It's my first ever response that isn't a form rejection, and she's one of my top agents, so it feels pretty good even though I know my chances aren't great from here. :)

Update: Well, it was fun while it lasted. Got a form rejection on 6/25. Next time!

Last edited:

sooshi

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Sara Megibow on August 12th, got a form a rejection today.

dakota

Walk on the wild side...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.epertase.com
Received a partial request from Ms. Meribow. She is requesting 30 pages. Does anyone know the spacing? I'm sure this is a much discussed question in general as I'm sure I've seen it discussed in the past but I thought someone might be able to answer specifically for this agency or what they did in their partial submissions. Thanks everyone in advance.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Received a partial request from Ms. Meribow. She is requesting 30 pages. Does anyone know the spacing? I'm sure this is a much discussed question in general as I'm sure I've seen it discussed in the past but I thought someone might be able to answer specifically for this agency or what they did in their partial submissions. Thanks everyone in advance.

Hi Dakota,

Double spacing, one inch margins all around. TNR 12pt font is safe for any agency not requesting otherwise.

I've submitted requested materials to NLA a couple of times (employing these parameters). I always received a response.

Good luck!

GB

dakota

Walk on the wild side...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.epertase.com
Thanks, filigree.
BTW, Giant Baby was right. Nelson has a password protected submission page. Once you type in your individual password to upload your 30 pgs, the detailed information comes up. 12 point, TNR, 1 in. margins, double spaced.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Sara is awesome. Have met her at a few conventions (she's a pal of a pal). Definitely plan on submitting to her when the book is done. She's very up front about what she wants/doesn't want and had some amazing advice for querying and such.

And I sense she's a big gamer geek from her D&D comments. :)