Middle Grade word count?

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I posted a question about word count in the agent's section but I thought I might also ask it here since I'm sure this section has a lot of expertise as well.

I'm writing a middle grade novel and I was wondering what a good word count is in general. I've read that for MG it can be 30,000 to 70,000 and it seems that a lot of the books are closer to the 70,000 range (i,e, The Lightning Thief, HP etc)...so does a book in the 40,000 to 50,000 word count range sell? That's roughly at most only 136 pages in a book. I was trying to shoot for 60,000 but I just don't know if I can do it.

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I know this was published in 1988 but Matilda was only 40k. The Giver was 43k. So yeah 40-50k will sell. It also depends on the genre. Lightning Thief and HP are both fantasies and they tend to be longer.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Despite how things might appear these days, you can have a much lower wordcount for MG, so yes you're fine. The only thing that's really changed is that it is more permissible to have a longer wordcount, but it's still a tricky sell. Have no fear, you're fine!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Every time I've been at a conference and asked an agent or an editor this question, they always give the same answer: We don't care about the word count. Use as many words as you need to tell the story, and not one word more.

It also depends on the audience and the genre. Realistic, contemporary fiction tends to be shorter than fantasy. Humor tends to be shorter. Books that would appeal to the younger end of the age range, or that would appeal to reluctant readers, need to be shorter.

Your best resource is the RenLearn website. You can look at books similar in genre and audience to yours, and see what their wordcount is. Find it here:http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113931

Where you get into trouble (as I had to learn the hard way) is when you stray too far towards the end of the range. Too short, and the book is hard to find on the shelf, plus it may not be complex enough to be a really satisfying read. Too long, and you scare off readers, plus you need to have really strong pacing and plotting to justify all those words. It becomes a risk, and these days agents and editors aren't really thrilled with risk.

But within the range, which 40K is, you should be fine.