Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
So basically I'm the only one that has a bitch of a commute.

If it helps my husband often has to travel to Slough for work. An hour and a quarter (at best) of the M23 (roadworks atm), M25 and M4 (or is it the M3? Can never remember). And when he gets there, he's in Slough.

Bless.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh bless him! Give him my sympathy.

But I still win cos I have to put up with other people.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Miranda, the tranquility is great but there are trade offs--the nearest pharmacy is 20+ miles from us. I can't tell you how many times I have had to drive 8 miles east to the clinic--only doctor in this county--and then 26 miles south to fill a prescription. I have done this with raging fevers and on the verge of pneumonia. Once, when I was too sick to drive, my bother and sister drove 30 miles from their home town to take me to the hospital for emergency surgery. The hospital was another 30 miles away.

Two summers ago I had to drive 20 miles with a broken wrist to get to an emergency room. I had driven 11 miles to use the car wash in Macksville because it is about 50 cents cheaper than the one in St. John. The hose in the car wash tripped me up and I fell hard. The trip to the er and subsequent therapy, x-rays, casts etc cost about 1,700$ So much for saving 50 cents. Worse, I waited a couple of hours in the e.r. for the X ray technician. He lives in another county. --s6

Last edited:

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
It takes me about twenty minutes to get to work. It's a relatively scenic ride through broad rural pastures and small forests. If I took the highways like everyone else, it would prolly take me near an hour to get to work. And it would be an ugly drive. Nothin but corporate building after corporate building.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tense commute this a.m.

My Spanish 1 students are making fried ice cream today. No grocery store in Macksville, where I teach, so I had to transport the ice cream from home. Since I am senile I did not think to put out a freezer bag last night. No time this morning so I drove with a half gallon of vanilla ice cream on the front seat. My car has a black interior. I don't allow even my grandkids to bring food or drinks in the car. Yeah--that's me, Grammy Car Nazi.

I made it without a gloppy puddle of melted ice cream by turning on the a/c full blast. My rheumatism is killing me but the car is clean. The ice cream was squishy when I loaded it into the Home Ec freezer. It has to be rock hard to fry, so we'll see how it scoops at lunchtime--s6

Last edited:

SnowyWinters

Just the Right amount of Wrong
Registered
Reaction score
I used to live in Seattle where you have to battle traffic regardless of the time of day. Now I live in a small city and have just enough time to belt out one good song before arriving to work. Easy breezy, no stress.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
At dusk I hitch my crack squad of tiny reindeer to the sleigh, give Rudolph the green-light, and make my rounds. It's a smooth ride around the globe, with a spectacular wintertime panorama. Not sure exactly how long the entire commute takes, but I always have just enough time to make a list and check it twice. After that it's a lot of chimneys, plates of cookies, and glasses of milk, 'til the break of dawn.

Not bad, for a one-night-a-year job.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I walk to work in high summer and take the bus the rest of the year.

I walk home to work if it is above -10C and it is not dark outside. Otherwise it is the bus.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Snowy--I keep my radio on heavy metal and at full blast when driving in the dark because I think it works as a deer repellant.

Xelebes-- Four Strong Winds makes your part of Canada sound so romantic. Maybe it's just that I have the geriatric hots for Ian Tyson.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
miranda-- fried ice cream is a Mexican dessert. Several local restaurants serve it and each does it differently. We are using a family recipe from one of the students but you can find recipes and even tutorials on making it. I'm no cook and I'm not crazy about fried anything but the kids want to try it. Today we scooped the ice cream and refroze it. Tomorrow we roll the scoops in crushed corn flakes and then freeze them again. Monday we fry it.--s6

Last edited:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I commute together. We leave around 7:30 and have an hour commute. We ride together so we can take the carpool lane. One day a week, he often works from home, so I don't get to take the carpool lane, and that morning, my commute can be from an hour and a half to two hours, one way. Coming home is probably anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour.

The only real excitement we have, aside from the fender benders, is that people without a passenger will often sneak into the carpool lane, which makes us livid because that makes the carpool lane jammed up too. But there are cops spread all down the lane, and we like to laugh at the people who get pulled over and imagine the conversation they're having with the cop.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Why does it not melt?

Heat does not commute so well (giggle) when the differential of the heat between the oil (low heat capacity) and the ice cream (higher heat capacity) allows the rock hard ice cream to maintain shape. Only the edges are melted. The ice cream is not in the oil for too long for the block to melt.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I was very ragey this morning on my way to work, driving through thick fog and people driving without their headlights on. And we wonder why accidents happen? I had to take a second Xanax to calm me the eff down so I could work.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
At dusk I hitch my crack squad of tiny reindeer to the sleigh, give Rudolph the green-light, and make my rounds. It's a smooth ride around the globe, with a spectacular wintertime panorama.

Presumably this wintertime panorama will include the summertime* of people who live below the equator?

Because from your phrasing I'm imagining snow in say Fiji. Which I think might be unlikely (given it apparently has not happened in in recorded history. It says here).

Or are we imagining a different panorama?

:D

*Or equivalent season

Amy_D

Awake in the present moment.
Registered
Reaction score
I thought of this topic because there was a cowboy, complete with hat and spurs, in my classroom just now. I can still hear his spurs as he walks down the hall to the next classroom. Today is parent teacher conferences. The cowboy was here about his son. No he did not ride a horse to school but he does ride a horse and has to get back to his work. I pass him and his horse sometimes in the morning, on my way to work.

The spurs got me to thinking about the very different places we AWers inhabit. Getting to and from work is something that we share but seldom talk about. What is your commute like? How far do you travel? Do you walk? Use public transportation? Drive? Is there drama? Humor? Danger? Humdrum for you might be very exciting for others. --s6

I'm a housewife, I'm always at work;)

...or play.