Using Smashwords Formatted Manuscript For KDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzletoad1

Plodding around into things.
Registered
Reaction score
Question: I have a copy of my ms formatted as per the Smashwords formatting guide. I want to possibly publish my story on KDP. Can I use the Smashwords formatted copy to send to KDP or do I have to start from scratch? If I can use the Smashwords formatted copy, do I need to make any adjustments to it and what would they be? Any help will be appreciated here. Thanks.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I format my Amazon KDP books per the Smashwords Style Guide with one change (I do not put the Smashwords specific edition and copyright wording on my Kindle). Oh, that actually isn't accurate. Sorry. I save as web page, filtered, then use MobiPocket to convert the html document to a .prc document. I upload that to Amazon KDP.

ETA: If you follow the above formula, you can email anyone the .prc file and they can read it on their Kindle.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I just take out the Smashwords license, then save as .html and upload to Kindle. No worries. :)

grizzletoad1

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. So I just drop the license, which I never put in to date as I was not sure which way I was going to go with my ms, then save as an .htlm, then convert to... Sorry, I'm lost! I think I need a little more hands-on direction here as digital media is not my strong suit.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Thanks guys. So I just drop the license, which I never put in to date as I was not sure which way I was going to go with my ms, then save as an .htlm, then convert to... Sorry, I'm lost! I think I need a little more hands-on direction here as digital media is not my strong suit.

I suggested:
1. Save as web page filtered (this turns the Word document into html).
2. Open a program called MobiPocket (free to download).
3. Click on convert html document.
4. Browse until you find your html document.
5. Select the document.
6. Select the cover you want at the front of your e-book.
7. Select your table of contents (if you've made one).
8. Hit build.
9. A .prc file is created. That is what you upload to Amazon KDP.

Parametric suggested not using MobiPocket (so just doing #1 above and uploading the html file). I have never tried that route, so cannot comment on it.

Girlyswot suggested using the program Calibre to convert your file. I've used Calibre to convert files to epub format and can recommend them for that purpose.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Question: I have a copy of my ms formatted as per the Smashwords formatting guide. I want to possibly publish my story on KDP. Can I use the Smashwords formatted copy to send to KDP or do I have to start from scratch? If I can use the Smashwords formatted copy, do I need to make any adjustments to it and what would they be? Any help will be appreciated here. Thanks.

If you're doing a print version through CreateSpace, there's an option to send the formatted files to KDP too (in my experience they come out looking fine, with the same spacing/text/etc as your print copy). Note that the formatted file I uploaded to CreateSpace was completely different from the one I sent to Smashwords.

grizzletoad1

Registered
Reaction score
Sage,

Yes, the Create Space has a completely different formatting. I have a copy of my ms done to their format as well. It looks pretty good, just like it would look like as a book. I was not sure if there was a way to upload to both Create Space and KDP through one portal, so it's good to know that there is. I haven't gotten that far with either Create Space or KDP options yet as I've still got a couple of queries out waiting on a reply. But if they are rejected, I am going to take the plunge and put it up on the Create Space and KDP platforms. Thanks for the help.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
The last couple of things I did I did the Smashwords edition first. From that I did the edition change, then put in the page breaks that Kindle wants but which Smashwords doesn't. Also, for the "other books by the author" section, in the Smashwords edition I have the Smashwords links, and in the Kindle edition I have the Amazon links.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
gt1:

If I remember correctly Amazon requires hard page breaks at the end of chapters. Smashwords doesn't wan page breaks. They want around 4 hard returns to separate chapters.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
gt1:

If I remember correctly Amazon requires hard page breaks at the end of chapters. Smashwords doesn't wan page breaks. They want around 4 hard returns to separate chapters.

I've never had that issue with Smashwords. I use page breaks for both Kindle and Smashwords and my pages break in all the right places.

grizzletoad1

Registered
Reaction score
So I have to insert page breaks at the end of each chapter, not after each page? I guess that also includes a break after the title page, toc, acknowledgement page, dedication, etc?

Last edited:

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
So I have to insert page breaks at the end of each chapter, not after each page? I guess that also includes a break after the title page, toc, acknowledgement page, dedication, etc?
Yes. I encourage you to download Smashwods' FREE Style Guide. It explains all of this. Also, be sure to read the Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing information about formatting and covers.

I'll take this one step farther and say always read the guidelines for whatever site you are uploading your documents to. People on message boards can be very helpful, but it is often best to read and understand the guidelines thoroughly beforehand.

Since I'm already suggesting one thing, I'll suggest another. Create your first document cleanly: no tabs, no returns/enters between paragraphs, no extra spaces. Save that document as your source document. Any changes you make for a specific sales channel, use the SAVE AS feature so your source document stays clean. You can give it a similar name, just add Kindle or Smashwords or Apple or whatever to the name so there is no confusion later. If you are ever in a situation where your document gets kicked back for some reason, you will have your clean version to go back to.

Another suggestion: date your revisions. I have seen quite a few posts about uploading the wrong version of an e-book.

Example:
Book Title: Greatest Book Ever
Source Document Title: Greatest Book Ever
Kindle Document Title: Greatest Book Ever KINDLE
Smashwords Document Title: Greatest Book Ever SMASHWORDS
Kindle Document Title With Revision: Greatest Book Ever KINDLE Rev 9-14-13
If you don't like spaces (All Romance e-books only allows documents to be uploaded without spaces in the file name), try this: GreatestBookEverKINDLE9-14-13

grizzletoad1

Registered
Reaction score
Merri,

Yes, that guide was what I used to format my ms into the Smashword version. I did it so long ago that after a major rewrite, I forgot that I needed to put the 3 or 4 paragraph returns between the chapters. I reset those, but did not insert any page breaks. Now, should I go this route and upload my Create Space version, I understand that there is a provision to also upload it to KDP. Does this convert the Create Space version into the KDP format automatically?

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Merri,

Yes, that guide was what I used to format my ms into the Smashword version. I did it so long ago that after a major rewrite, I forgot that I needed to put the 3 or 4 paragraph returns between the chapters. I reset those, but did not insert any page breaks. Now, should I go this route and upload my Create Space version, I understand that there is a provision to also upload it to KDP. Does this convert the Create Space version into the KDP format automatically?

I have not used CreateSpace to convert my paperback book format into an Amazon KDP book for Kindle. Others have, maybe they will respond. I know it is possible. I assume CreateSpace takes a cut of the royalty, but am not sure about that. Since they are providing the service, it would make sense to me. I'd check out their site for all the facts before choosing that option.

Three or four paragraph returns between chapters will create extra pages in your Amazon KDP document. Amazon KDP wants page breaks, not paragraph returns.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I have not used CreateSpace to convert my paperback book format into an Amazon KDP book for Kindle. Others have, maybe they will respond. I know it is possible. I assume CreateSpace takes a cut of the royalty, but am not sure about that. Since they are providing the service, it would make sense to me. I'd check out their site for all the facts before choosing that option.

Three or four paragraph returns between chapters will create extra pages in your Amazon KDP document. Amazon KDP wants page breaks, not paragraph returns.

I have, mostly to see what it's like. For what it's worth, my book went up in the Kindle store faster than if I'd waited for Smashwords to submit the files. Although, because I went through Smashwords too, on my Smashwords distribution channels page I had to 'opt out' of the Kindle store.

I get 70% royalties on Kindle sales now, which is about $2.07 for a $2.99 ebook. This is more than I would get if Smashwords and Amazon were both taking a cut. And Createspace is a subset of Amazon, thus this link.

I don't think Smashwords particularly like the four line return even before chapter breaks, because it shows up as a full blank page on some ereaders with small screens. Professionally formatted books do not have *complete blank pages* between chapters. Use page breaks (that is, the rest of the page is blank after a chapter ends, and the next chapter starts on the next page) instead, they're more reliable.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I have, mostly to see what it's like. For what it's worth, my book went up in the Kindle store faster than if I'd waited for Smashwords to submit the files. Although, because I went through Smashwords too, on my Smashwords distribution channels page I had to 'opt out' of the Kindle store.

Smashwords only distributes their bestselling e-books to Amazon because Amazon will not allow them to bulk upload, each book is entered individually.

grizzletoad1

Registered
Reaction score
Guys, thank you. This is now much clearer for me to see and follow. Putting the page breaks between each chapter is a fairly easy thing to add since the ms has already been formatted to Smashwords standards, for the most part. I just didn't add their copyright page, so the thing should be ready to roll on KDP once I insert the page breaks and take out the paragraph returns between the chapters. Thanks again.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Guys, thank you. This is now much clearer for me to see and follow. Putting the page breaks between each chapter is a fairly easy thing to add since the ms has already been formatted to Smashwords standards, for the most part. I just didn't add their copyright page, so the thing should be ready to roll on KDP once I insert the page breaks and take out the paragraph returns between the chapters. Thanks again.
Good luck!

One thing: when I switched from the Smashwords copyright info to my info for CreateSpace, my file was rejected and had to be resubmitted because when I called it the "CreateSpace Edition" there was concern it would imply CreateSpace was the publisher or something. So be careful of that in your own formatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.