Apple Ocotober 23 2012 Announcements

Deleted member 42

The new 13-inch retina MacBook Pro everyone expected, joining the 15 inch notebook.

This new MacBook is so very thin; I'm not sure how they'll differentiate it and the MacBook Air for customers. MagSafe 2, two Thunderbolt ports, USB 3, headphone, microphones. SD card reader, HDMI out, second USB 3 port.

But it is gorgeous and it only weighs 3.57 pounds. I can't tell if the batteries are user-replaceable, but it looks like not. $1699.00. Shipping today. It's replacing the previous top-selling Mac the MacBook Pro 13, which is interesting, and suggests some potentially great deals on the previous model.

New Mac Mini. Dual or quad-core i5 or i7, Intel HD Graphics 4000, up to 16GB of RAM, up to 1TB HD or 256GB of flash. Two versions; a2.5GHz dual-core i5, 4GB, 500GB HDD, $599. The server versions 2.3GHz quad-core i7, 4GB of RAM, Two 1TB HD OS X server, $999. Shipping today.

New iMac. OMG, it's so thin. It's like a giant iPad on a stand. Gorgeous. Glass right to the edge. 5 mm edge; 80% thinner than previous. The way they've layered the display (21.5, or 27 inch) is stunning, and laminated, so it's going to look amazingly sharp, low reflective. No air gap between images/text and screen, so it's going to look stunning. HD camera, dual mics, stereo sound system. Looks like no optical drive built in, can buy USB optical. SD card reader, two thunderbolt, 4 USB 3. No firewire?

Optional "Fusion drive" new hybrid drive SSD flash storage, and hardrive built in OS X Mountain Lion, all preinstalled software on Flash drive. Learns from user, so will allocate the stuff used most often to Flash drive, taking benefits from faster access on Flash drive. Comes with bluetooth keyboard and Mac.

21.5-inch iMac 2.7GHz quad-core i5, 8GB RAM, GeForge GT 640M, 1TB HD, $1299. Shipping in November. 27-inch iMac, 2.9GHz quad-core i5, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 660M, 1TB HD, $1799. Ships in December.

Already sold over 100 Million iPads. Not too bad for 2.5 years or so. Apple sold more iPads in June quarter than any PC maker sold of their entire line.

New iBooks iOS app pairs with new version of iBooks Author. Includes new Apple templates, including one that's Portrait only. What's really cool is that publishers deploy their own fonts. That's not a small thing related just to "looks" and branding; it affects content and languages, too. Also new multi-touch widgets, and a better way for publishers to update their books. iBooks author is still a free download.

"4th generation iPad" has a new chip; the A6X. Twice as fast as current iPad A5X. New image signal processor, camera, expanded LTE coverage on the Cell version. Faster WiFi. Lightning connector. New lightning accessory cables (HDMI, USB), retina display. Black, and White, same configs, same price.

New "mini" iPad. 7.9 inches diagonal, 7.2mm thin. Slightly more curvy than iPhone 5. One-hand holding. White with silver or black with slate back. "Thin as a pencil," .68 pounds "light as a pad of paper." 7.9 on the diagonal, 1024 x 768 (John Gruber did the math and nailed it a year or so ago). Current iPad apps will work just fine. It's really a true iPad, just a bit smaller. Two cameras, Lightning connector, slightly faster WiFi. New smart cover accessory for the iPad mini.

Starts with 16GB of memory with Wi-Fi at $329. Cell is 130.00 more, 32 gigs of memory another 100. iPad mini and 4th gen start taking orders Friday. Wi-Fi versions will ship on November 2nd. Two weeks later, Wi-Fi + Cellular, first in US, and then around the world.

I am of course lusting after the mini; it's the form-factor I've wanted since c. 2000, especially for reading books.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
New iBooks iOS app pairs with new version of iBooks Author. Includes new Apple templates, including one that's Portrait only. What's really cool is that publishers deploy their own fonts. That's not a small thing related just to "looks" and branding; it affects content and languages, too. Also new multi-touch widgets, and a better way for publishers to update their books. iBooks author is still a free download.

Excellent! Will cost a bit in license fees, but well worth it.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I need a new desktop mac. I have a first Intel chip generation Mac Mini.

Now I can't decide if I want a new Mac Mini or the iMac. OMG! That screen! *drools*

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Mildly disappointed at no retina iMac and no retina Thunderbolt display.

The struggle will be whether I can hold out for the A7 iPhone and A7X iPad, or whether I'll get these new ones. Can I afford to upgrade my iOS devices every year? I want to, but...

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
(Though I thought we could already embed fonts in EPUB and that was supported by iBooks? Is this just iBooks Author we're talking about?)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
(Though I thought we could already embed fonts in EPUB and that was supported by iBooks? Is this just iBooks Author we're talking about?)

That's just iBooks Author with the new font thing.

There are ways to embed fond in ePub that are supported by iBooks (reader) app, but damned if I can remember if Apple has officially permitted them or not.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent! Will cost a bit in license fees, but well worth it.

If you license a font, try for a flat license for a one time fee. It used to be pretty easy to get, but it means you don't have a unit or time limit, and you can pick a font that's part of your look-and-feel/branding.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
If you license a font, try for a flat license for a one time fee. It used to be pretty easy to get, but it means you don't have a unit or time limit, and you can pick a font that's part of your look-and-feel/branding.

I think we're negotiating big package deals with the foundries at the moment. This is mainly interesting to me for picture books, because there can be upwards of ten different fonts - or weight of fonts, for which the foundries are charging individually - per book. Currently we're substituting with Apple system fonts, but we're going to have to get digital terms worked out soon just to save us some work.

The fact that, over the last few decades, we didn't agree digital licenses for fonts and stock photos is the cause of a lot of admin at the moment. I'm not sure this announcement changes that (we're still going to have to clear stuff, but now we can use them in Author as well as EPUB) but it's handy in any case.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
That's just iBooks Author with the new font thing.

There are ways to embed fond in ePub that are supported by iBooks (reader) app, but damned if I can remember if Apple has officially permitted them or not.

Yep, it's fine by them. One thing they officially deprecate is rendering text as images - it means we don't have to license the original font (it isn't distributed in the EPUB as an embedded font), but it also means it's unsearchable and won't work with text-to-speech. Technically they can refuse a file for doing that, though I've successfully pushed it now and then where it would mean having to swap out handwritten text for a typeface.

Deleted member 42

I need a new desktop mac. I have a first Intel chip generation Mac Mini.

Now I can't decide if I want a new Mac Mini or the iMac. OMG! That screen! *drools*

It's a hard, hard decision. I'd put it off until after the end of January if you're really lusting after the iMac.

And I'd stash that mini when you do replace it as a local server or jukebox or something. They're nifty boxes.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need a new desktop mini, anyway. Even with a RAM upgrade, it's still two OS versions behind and I can't move to Mountain Lion, anyway.

Deleted member 42

I'm now wondering about a display refresh. Apple has two 27'' displays, the Thunderbolt one and the Cinema Display, both at $999.00 US.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch, beautiful as it is, I just noticed the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display can't be BTO with 16 GB RAM. That kills it for me. (Not that I'm in the market anyway.) *hugs my 15" rMBP*

I still need to upgrade my old cMBP to 16 GB memory so I can use it as a home server. Maybe rig it up with Hadoop. If only I had a static IP address...

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
It's a hard, hard decision. I'd put it off until after the end of January if you're really lusting after the iMac.

And I'd stash that mini when you do replace it as a local server or jukebox or something. They're nifty boxes.

Yeah, it can wait.... I mainly use my laptop since my office is a death-trap of books at the moment. Though a lovely new machine might get me off my butt to *clean* said deathtrap. Or maybe that can be a reward... Hmm.

I like the jukebox idea.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
There's too much Apple Crack on this thread ;)

No. Apple crack would require pictures.

Like this one:

AppleCrack-small.JPG

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I am of course lusting after the mini; it's the form-factor I've wanted since c. 2000, especially for reading books.

Me, too! Trying to read on the regular iPad is cumbersome. I pre-ordered mine on Friday. I actually stayed up until 2:00 a.m. I'm on central time and the Apple site is on California people time, so...yeah. Lol!

Kuiwisdelu: Awesome picture!! So awesome...