XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Er, recent immigrants who came because they'd married WWII vets.

ETA: the late great Lester B. Pearson. How the hell did I forget him?

ETAA: Why do you ask? :D

Last edited:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I have a country in my WIP that is the Canada analogue for my dieselpunk-ish US-type of country. I don't have much of it develop it yet, only the fact all the cities have bilingual names and produce a better beer, even if my US-like nation doesn't admit.

I'm mostly basing on a graphic novel: George Sprott. About a fading TV personality in a fictional 1950's Canadian city called Dominion.

Oh yeah, an a giant zeppelin blows up a Montréal-like city.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Cue chorus of Canadians saying, "You picked the one city we could do without!"

Well, Canada was in a sort of "golden age" during the 1950's. Living standards skyrocketed, social progress was made, we had peace from 1953 onwards, it was generally a great time to be a Canadian. We'd won a lot of national respect in WWII that seems to have faded now, sort of like WWI. In the World Wars Canadian troops had a reputation for toughness and for being able to do a lot with a little. That's the part that stood out to me the most from my high school history classes, really. In some ways being Canadian then meant the opposite of what being Canadian means now.

We got a lot more respect from other countries in general, and were one of the countries immigrants flocked to in droves.

The flag was a tad different back then (Pearson eventually changed it), and a lot of the everyday social programs that make living in Canada a different experience from living in the U.S. were his idea too.

Any information you want, feel free to ask me. :) Especially if it can't be easily googled. I might be extremely a little obsessed with interested in Canadian history, and there's always something a textbook Can't tell you.

Last edited:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Indeed, I remember watching this biopic of a MacDonald fella, Giant of the Prairie. Really inspiring guy.

Also, lots of people here are fleeing to Canada. It's easier than the US.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Well, at the time, it was as much due to sociological factors as economic ones. Now, I'm not so sure why it is. I'd have to know more about Venezuela before I could say.

I think you may mean Tommy Douglas as opposed to Sir John A. MacDonald. Douglas is one of my heroes, and there is indeed a biopic titled "Prairie Giant" about him. I agree, very inspiring dude.

Now that I think of it, to understand Canada post-1950 at all one needs to understand Lester B. Pearson. Most Canadians don't realize how big an influence his time as PM was on today's Canada.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Did you guys miss me? I've spent all day at the hospital, in a morphine haze while they figured out why my stomach was giving me fits.

Figured it out: gallstones.

Damn, those things hurt. On the other hand, morphine is way way waaaaaayyyyy too nice. I don't trust that stuff.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Did you guys miss me? I've spent all day at the hospital, in a morphine haze while they figured out why my stomach was giving me fits.

Figured it out: gallstones.

D:

:Hug2:

I thought it was strange you hadn't dropped in. Good to have you back!

What are they eventually doing about the gallstones?

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
This thing, give or take a coat of arms, was Canada's flag before the Great Canadian Flag Debate. Which is actually what they call it in the history books, too.

britishmerchantnavyensi.png

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
D:

I thought it was strange you hadn't dropped in. Good to have you back!

What are they eventually doing about the gallstones?

Thank you. The doctor -- who was about fifteen minutes older than my socks; so young, so cute -- wanted me to agree to surgery in the very near future. I thought it imprudent to make such an important decision when I was exhausted, in a ton of pain, and stoned out of my gourd on morphine.

Eventually, I will have to have surgery. But I'm not prepared to do that right now; I don't have that kind of money, and I am not at all sure my current situation with Mother will allow me to be laid up for upwards of two weeks.

Get better, Jallenecs. :)

thank you, Max!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. The doctor -- who was about fifteen minutes older than my socks; so young, so cute -- wanted me to agree to surgery in the very near future. I thought it imprudent to make such an important decision when I was exhausted, in a ton of pain, and stoned out of my gourd on morphine.

I must concur. That's a decision to be made when you're at your best!

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
The flag we have now is so established that I don't think most Canadians even know it's only 50 years old.

Which, actually, I could say for Pearson's other claims to fame as well: universal health care, the CPP, the Canada Student Loan Program and the fact that we did not fight the Vietnam War. All assumed to be older than time by most Canadians now.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
SM - I am so sorry your day sucked!

Junely! omg... well I am glad it isn't too serious - and yes, not jumping into surgery is a good idea... even tho you may need to get it soon. I hope you get someone to help you so you can have the surgery and heal up appropriately. *I saw your post on facebook, but I'm hiding out today and can't post on facebook or twitter*

I know. I know. I am a child. I lied to a friend so I didn't have to leave the house. I'm a terrible person.

I have also made some iced tea, using splenda. Tastes very good.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Good morning cantina :Sun:

So I was dreaming and the last thing I remember was my dad screaming in my face "You're a @$**@$!!! hypocrite". Hmm, way to go brain, that'll wake me up. *Pours extra coffee*

:Hug2: for Midnight and Junely. My dad had a gallstones op a few years ago. They presented him with them before he left hospital. Lovely. My dad was kind enough to email me a picture. How kind of him to share.

I'm in for the write-in, once I've had breakfast. I won't be on twitter as I don't use it. It's more like anti-social media I use, but I'll be here and posting. I want to draft some blog posts for a start and I have a 300 word essay to edit and submit.

Interesting - to me anyway - I type faster with one hand than I do with two.

:Coffee:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Ali, I haven't even gone to bed, yet! My Sunday has started.... but I will be "writing in" tomorrow.... a scene or two that I've been avoiding writing. For some reason.

What a waste of $4. I rented a movie from Amazon and just couldn't stay interested. Keep jerking around on the internet. Sherlock Holmes game of shadows.... and I so love RDJ.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Hey, what do you know? I just discovered that someone I used to teach is on the GB ladies basketball squad.

That's so cool.

Here Bettie, have some more coffee. Sounds like you're concentration's going and your brain needs a rest.

Time for breakfast then...

Status
Not open for further replies.