zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Drat. I checked my mailbox today to see if the new Asimov's had come so that I could see more than just the teaser of that Palmer tale I've had my eye on, but it seems Asimov's has, like they did with the last issue, decided to send it to my old address.

I don't think the new issue has mailed out yet -- keep in mind the last issue was a double-issue, and they're still listing the "Oct/Nov" issue as the current issue on the website. Certainly my usual subscriber copy hasn't arrived, although I did get my contributor copies and did the Happy Dance around the house. Lot of great stuff in the issue.

Well, it isn't fiction-related, but my application to write sports columns for The Bleacher Report was accepted tonight! It doesn't pay, but it gives me access to thousands--and maybe millions--of readers, as well as publication on several huge websites, like NHL.com, NFL.com, NBA.com, etc., and LATimes.com, SFGate.com, etc..

That's awesome! Go you! (Just don't be dissin' my Sox -- except this year, when they clearly deserve it. :( )

In other news, I'll be sharing the ToC of the Fish Anthology with a few familiar names:
http://daganbooks.com/2011/10/01/official-table-of-contents-for-fish/
:hooray:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The TOC has been announced today, so I can talk about my sale now... FISH will be publishing "Life at the Lake's Shore" in their anthology!

Congrats also to Polenth, Megan and Suzanne who I'm sharing the TOC with - hope I didn't miss any AW'ers, but if in case did here's the complete list:

http://daganbooks.com/2011/10/01/official-table-of-contents-for-fish/

There are also some heavy hitters such as Ken Liu and Cat Rambo in there. Very exciting.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I wasn't going to do braggage as such, as it's not a W1/S1 story. But yay for acceptances! Looks like AW is well represented.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! for Fish people :D

:e2fish::e2fish::e2fish:
:TheWave:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd mentioned this before (and I don't think any of y'all are in the appropriate area to attend this event) but here is the "official" press release on the Fall Film Showcase that includes an excerpt from my script, Thingbreaker.

Unfortunately, I'm not in that part of the country either, but I figured I should promote it just the same. :)

Aggy, who studied filmmaking (not Creative Writing)

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't going to do braggage as such, as it's not a W1/S1 story. But yay for acceptances! Looks like AW is well represented.

Polenth, we are happy to cheer for a good story sale whether its a W1S1 piece or not :)

Mine was, I wrote it for the antho specifically, so I'm double glad they took it :)

sammyjwebb

Registered
Reaction score
land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
I think I'd mentioned this before (and I don't think any of y'all are in the appropriate area to attend this event) but here is the "official" press release on the Fall Film Showcase that includes an excerpt from my script, Thingbreaker.

Unfortunately, I'm not in that part of the country either, but I figured I should promote it just the same. :)

Aggy, who studied filmmaking (not Creative Writing)

That's so cool!

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Polenth, we are happy to cheer for a good story sale whether its a W1S1 piece or not :)

Mine was, I wrote it for the antho specifically, so I'm double glad they took it :)

In my case, it was a story I wrote and had extreme trouble placing, as it didn't fit the market very well (and I'm prone to understatement). Then I read the Dagan submissions call and it sounded perfect for it. So I am yayful!

I don't know if everyone saw, but they mentioned on Twitter they'll also be doing anthologies for owls (air), horses (fire) and oxen (earth) in the coming years, as a sort of set. I like the idea of writing an ox story, just because it's an animal I've never written about. Plenty of ponder time for those.

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
BIG congrats to all the fish people!

In somewhat-related news, my Write1Sub1 Week#35 story "A Creature Stirring" is in the current issue of 10Flash Quarterly, right under Cat Rambo in the lineup. =]

You can read it here, if you're so inclined.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Polenth: Yeah those anthos sound intriguing. I have no good ideas for any of those themes at the moment, but it's something to keep in the back of our minds. Plenty of time to think about it, as they haven't opened subs for them yet (and probably won't this year).

I have more braggage btw... Just heard back from White Cat Magazine and they bought "Time Away" for their Fall issue, which they also immediately posted up on the web. You can read the story here:

http://www.whitecatpublications.com/?page_id=991

"Time Away" isn't a W1S1 story. In fact its a 2nd or 3rd story I ever wrote and it's been rejected A LOT. A dozen times, easy. I sent it off to White Cat because it was a fairly new market and I wasn't sure what they'd want, plus I really wasn't ready to give up on this story as I kind of like it myself... And they took it, at 5c/word, too.

I think that's a perfect proof that one must follow Heinlein's rules and keep submitting their story everywhere until it finally sells.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Alex, I saw that this morning! Congrats!

No word back on my White Cat sub yet, so I guess we'll see...

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
No word back on my White Cat sub yet, so I guess we'll see...
Same here. : /

And I'm starting to wonder if they even send out rejections, because there are no R's reported on duotropes, which I find odd.

Congrats everyone! Especially the fishies. :D

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Alex and Milo, and fingers crossed for Annie and defcon! (-:

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a W1S1 lurker, to my shame...but you have inspired me to keep at it every day, and it finally paid off. White Cat just accepted my short, House of Eternity...my first professional story accepted. Thank you, even though you didn't know you were inspiring me. I feel 'real' now.

Here it is, if you'd like to read it. http://www.whitecatpublications.com/?page_id=973

(if you are keeping track of dates to figure out their time lag since duotrope has nada, I sent this off July 23)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Editor at White Cat mentioned that they are still in the process of accepting more stories for the Fall issue, and for anyone who submitted not to assume they've been rejected yet, so hang in there and good luck everyone!

MeretSeger congratulations on your first pro pay sale! I look forward to reading your story next week, when I'm back home and my Internet access isnt limited to a few minutes at a time :)

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I've missed so much great news. Congrats, everyone! Can't wait to get to read all your great pieces tomorrow and in the future.

AllieKat

just a writer, unbranded
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritinglifeforme.blogspot.com
Congrats you guys!! :D

Hey, did anyone get an acceptance or rejection for the AW SF/F/H anthology? I wonder if they already went out and mine didn't arrive...?

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
They're still going through the round two stories, I believe. Still waiting on whether I got in.

Status
Not open for further replies.