The Bouncy Castle in Space

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh, yes, ze rare and deadly hug swarm. Few wild animal herds inspire as much terror as applesauce-scented, sticky-fingered embrace of a pack of kindergartners. Many a hapless teacher has fallen prey to their sniffly clutches.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I got a new full request today, and a partial upgraded to full yesterday, so I'm bouncing about that - AND I've written just over 10,000 words on my WIP. :hooray:

Keeping fingers crossed for you. :)

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today we watched the filthiest ever episode of The Magic School Bus in science class (the faint of heart may wish to look away, but technically this video was G rated). It was about the digestive system, already somewhat giggle-worthy, but the children had been threatened with The Worst Punishment In The World (handwriting boot camp, not that bad actually) if they laughed, so. The magic school bus takes a trip through Arnold's digestive system (not all the way through, that would be even grosser). When they return, Wanda clasps her hands together and shouts in dazed delight, "Thank you Arnold, for giving me the ride of my dreams!" The teacher made a face at me and we started giggling like two kindergartners over a fart joke. I could not even pull it together. We had to turn and face in opposite directions for the rest of the video. I will never look at the Magic School Bus the same way again.

Also I am sooooo glad it's Friday! I have no weekend plans! :e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey

eta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6QGEfeEh0

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back. You guys better not have eaten all the brownies while I was away.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Brownies? What brownies? There weren't any brownies...

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
No brownies, but I did eat a little chocolate mousse in a chocolate cup, topped off with a raspberry...

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How's bouncin'? :e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey
I had a looong day. Surprise fire drill (Cute Student thinks they are super duper scary), that urgent need to be in two places at once, an Angry Student poked another kid in the eye, I proved my utter inability to quiet a classroom down in under five minutes, and the wonder and majesty of standardized testing continues.

Today a mom said to me, "They're so noisy. You're so calm. What are you on?" I don't really know what the answer to that question is.

Oh! One of our students was quoted in the newspaper this weekend. It was pretty cool: http://www.dailynews.com/ci_20611016/county-foster-care-system-looks-lgbt-parents-homes

He and his partner adopted Melody and Joseph from the system when they were 5 and 6 years old...Melody, now 10, doesn't feel different even though she has two dads.

"As long as they love you and take good care of you, it doesn't matter if you have two dads, two moms, or a mom and a dad," Melody said.
Awwww! She's a really awesome kid and I'm quite proud.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
What a cutie. :)

Ah, I miss my teaching days whenever I read about your students. Although I am very glad not to have to deal with standardized testing and all that.

I can remember some of my students from years ago as if it were yesterday. Such great memories. Kids that age are such fun. :)

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
"What are you on?" - I have wondered for years how teachers do it - when my kids drive me crazy, I wonder how they can so easily control 30 at a time. I'm always in awe.

Great story about the foster kids, and I love that quote. Out of the mouths of babes.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
What are you on?... gotta love it.

The truth is--I'll take 30 kids over a handful of grown-ups any day of the year. In fact, if I could ditch faculty meetings, professional development days, and paperwork, I could keep teaching until I kick the bucket.

It's the bureaucracy that's gonna get me in the end.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cute Student was upset about having a harsh encounter with mom this morning, so instead of saying so, at recess she climbed a tree, and refused to come down when Lousy PE Teacher ordered her to. Stern Homeroom Teacher had to be fetched to talk her down. She ought to be a fictional character. Anyway, I lectured her so much this afternoon that I was getting tired of hearing myself talk. It's hard to be ten.

Later, she also admitted that she had learned a new swear word (starting with F). I told her she could say it one more time and then never again. You have never heard a child cuss with such delight and wonder.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
That reminds me of a first grader I had way back when. Another student snitched that L. said the "S-H" word.

L: What? All I said was sh**. Sh**'s not a bad word. My dad says sh** all the time!

I swear, I didn't know whether to wet myself laughing or duct-tape the kid's mouth shut.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
What are you on?... gotta love it.

The truth is--I'll take 30 kids over a handful of grown-ups any day of the year. In fact, if I could ditch faculty meetings, professional development days, and paperwork, I could keep teaching until I kick the bucket.

It's the bureaucracy that's gonna get me in the end.

That's what got me. I still dream of it now, years on. Being made to fill out paperwork about what EXACTLY ever kid learned that day. Ugh.

As for controlling 30, that was cake.

But persuade my 7 yo to do two pages of math before going out to play? Im.poss.i.ble.

Go figure.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Field Day fun

First grade teacher: "Line up quickly. We're going straight outside, and you don't want to miss the boat."

Outside, a few minutes later ...

First grader (looking around): "So, where' s the boat?"

Second grader: "It's feel day?"
Me: "Mm-hmm."
Second grader, looking dubious: "Like ... you feel really happy, or you feel really mad?"
Me: "No, like ... we're standing in a big field."
But an entire line of little kids had already started poking each other and shouting, "Feel Day!"

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Cute!!

I still recall a first grader years ago coming to me in tears.

"I don't want to go in the vijally! Please don't make me go to the vijally!"

Turned out the teachers aide had told them the photographer was going to take their school photos individually. (In-da-vigally.) Poor little girl was traumatized.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Judy: Don't worry, I know you guys are ready for this big test. Just think about what we've practiced and the test will be a piece of cake!

First grader: Um... where's the cake?

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: bouncing for my daughter, who graduated from high school on Saturday--I'm so proud of her!

and...

:hooray: bouncing because I just accepted a transfer position to a new school, and I think it will be a good move.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: bouncing for my daughter, who graduated from high school on Saturday--I'm so proud of her!

and...

:hooray: bouncing because I just accepted a transfer position to a new school, and I think it will be a good move.

Congrats on raising a fine human being! Congrats on new job!

I'm exhausted. Naughty Student stayed at school longer than he has all year (nearly til the end of the day). Favorite Student (I don't play favorites, she just is my favorite) was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes over the weekend. Sad! Anybody know any good MG novels with diabetic characters (besides Babysitter's Club, so so awesome)?

Busybody Student proved that all her taking charge of things and practicing being responsible at school was for the best when she saved her dad's life over the weekend. He choked on his dinner, her mom didn't believe her, so she called 911...He passed out on the kitchen floor and she came and told her mom, "911 is on the phone and they want to talk to you". And then took her two baby sisters into the other room to pray/keep them out of the way while her mom did the Heimlich maneuver and the ambulance arrived. Hard Core Little Kid! She's only 10.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Way to go Ruth!

So sad about the kid with diabetes, Kitty. I'm sorry I can't help with any book recommendations. I love how you have little nicknames for all the kids. Busybody Student has turned into Hard Core Little Kid. That's awesome.

Hope everyone is enjoying May! It's my most stressful month, I must say. The end of the school year is just chock-full of field trips, performances, end-of-the year parties, graduations, thinking of original (and useful) teacher gifts, etc. But then it's summer and I can relax and enjoy my kids being home all day. (Maybe "enjoy" isn't the right word. It starts as "enjoy," then morphs into "tolerate," and finally, "thank God school is starting again.")

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
YAY for Ruth and her daughter!

Kitty - love the monikers, and what awesome students! Sorry to hear about the little one with diabetes.

Sheila - I LOVE summer vacation. I don't get any writing done but I have so much fun with my son all to myself during the week. We visit museums and botanical gardens and all kinds of free or low-cost places, and then do the occasional big outing to the wildlife parks and zoos. This year since my granddaughter is now three - as of TODAY - we will take her along. Oh, and there's swimming lessons and overnight campouts. Summer break is just too short for me.

But I only have one young one left at home. My kids are well spaced out, so I didn't have to deal with the bickering that develops over time.

Oh, and then there's also the library summer reading program. We sign up for two of those.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Summer is great, but one of the worst things is the lack of good TV shows. But this summer looks to have some fun movies to go see.