erase the sample site and will not use the content you created for any
purpose."

Audrey

SeeEmilywrite

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
I am an About.com guide as well.

I'm not exactly sure I understand the question...Everything you do in prep remains your property. If they don't accept you they don't pay you and delete your sample site.

I actually went through prep for another topic before I was accepted for my current one and was rejected. I sold all of the articles I created in prep to other sources.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
I am an About.com guide as well.

I'm not exactly sure I understand the question...Everything you do in prep remains your property. If they don't accept you they don't pay you and delete your sample site.

I actually went through prep for another topic before I was accepted for my current one and was rejected. I sold all of the articles I created in prep to other sources.

I'm not talking about during prep. That part was clear in the application. What wasn't clear is whether or not you can recycle your articles and sell them to other publications after you've posted them on your About site.

Aesposito

Registered
Reaction score
Update

Began prep, immediately ran into a technical difficulty whereby I wasn't able to access the help forums etc that prep people are supposed to have access to. Support people and prep guide dude wasn't sure why.

Two days and a few conversations with support later, I'm in. All very nice people.

I'll post a periodic update if anyone is interested.

Audrey

whiskeyz

about.com

Well, about.com only pays well if you write on a topic that's popular and is read a lot. Compensation is based on page views. It can often be a huge amount of work for not much compensation. I write for a city topic and they want lots of restaurant and bar reviews and for me to go to events, but they don't reimburse for expenses. It should be a full time job, at least for my topic, but it's not compensated anywhere near as such. (I made more in 4 months of temping, than I did in a year at About.com) Also the tools are quirky and they don't use HTML for most things, but instead use their own mark up language.
That said you do get to write about whatever you want within your topic so the freedom there is nice and you can post as often as you want.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
congrats Audrey!!!

How many hours do you think the prep took?

And when will your column go live?

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, about.com only pays well if you write on a topic that's popular and is read a lot. Compensation is based on page views. It can often be a huge amount of work for not much compensation. I write for a city topic and they want lots of restaurant and bar reviews and for me to go to events, but they don't reimburse for expenses. It should be a full time job, at least for my topic, but it's not compensated anywhere near as such. (I made more in 4 months of temping, than I did in a year at About.com) Also the tools are quirky and they don't use HTML for most things, but instead use their own mark up language.
That said you do get to write about whatever you want within your topic so the freedom there is nice and you can post as often as you want.

Yes I wondered about that too. A lot of the topics have subtopics so that means not only have you got a small little piece of the pie to write about but several other about.com writers will also be writing on the same topic.

You've given me a little nudge. Before I sign up I'll do a keyword search on my topic and see how popular that keyword is in search engine requests to see what I can expect

What are the most popular topics?

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear back from them... trying to be patient... I have no patience. :p I would really like to write for the section I applied for so I'm just praying. How long was it supposed to be again? I think it's been almost 2 months now but it's still showing as an open topic.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
what was your topic shannon?

i think they do them in bunches, according to when they have mentors available for the topics so I wouldn't panic.

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
what was your topic shannon?

i think they do them in bunches, according to when they have mentors available for the topics so I wouldn't panic.

The topic was for weight training. I have what they were looking for I think (degree in Exercise Science and I was a personal trainer for 3 years, plus pretty much all the writing I've done is on weight lifting/nutrition) so it seems like I'd have a good chance... or at least I'm hoping :) (and praying! :D) If they do them in bunches then I'm sure it's fine, I just need to learn to be patient. It's nice that they let you know either way though.

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't heard back on my application, either. For a while there, I kind of forgot I applied. XD But I really do hope to land it.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Shannon it sounds like you're qualified for the position so I'm sure they will give you a chance if the position is still open.

I'm going to do some keyword searches on the topic I applied for and try to get a feel for the popularity and breadth of the topic

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
I am also interested in the updates. : )
Talia, how can you tell the popularity of a topic via searching?
Shannon, I also have not heard back and I am getting close to the 8 wks.

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, well it's somewhat comforting to know at least I'm not the only one and all hope is not lost. The good thing with my topic is seriously there is endless stuff I could talk about so I don't foresee coming up with original content that hard. Plus, with the world of weight loss these days it's a fairly popular topic so I'd just have to market it right.

Do they guarantee you the $750/month (or was it $500??) or is that only right at the start?

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
they guarantee your income for the initial period - can't remember if it's 12 or 24 mths - of US$725/mo

Agree shannon your topic would be popular

midwife keyword searches tell you the popularity of a topic (number of people searching by that keyword)

for example I found that there are 10x more people searching for the keyword depression compared with seasonal affective disorder

A lot of the profitable topics are taken. I'd have loved the mental health topic - lots of variety and popular search item with big income potential

Some of those subtopics wouldn't earn much money

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
they guarantee your income for the initial period - can't remember if it's 12 or 24 mths - of US$725/mo

Agree shannon your topic would be popular

Ahh, I see. So I wonder how many guides can maintain this $725/month after the initial period, and how much is actually possible to make, do actually learn enough to support themselves off of it? (say 2-3k...that's probably an overshoot I would imagine?)

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
midwife keyword searches tell you the popularity of a topic (number of people searching by that keyword)

for example I found that there are 10x more people searching for the keyword depression compared with seasonal affective disorder

Hi Talia. I do understand that part, but how do you find out the number of people searching by a keyword? Thanks...Sorry if it is a dumb question.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
shannon some guides earn 6 figures. I would guess topics such as stress management, weight loss, health and popular movies and their stars.

midwife - google the topic and you will find a number of different tools that will give you your answers...

Status
Not open for further replies.