• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation

chaddy

Registered
Reaction score
I received a rejection on my full, but they are still at the top of my wish list. While I am still querying that book around, I have been working on another. I can not wait until it's finished so I can send it to them.

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
I queried Joanna on the 13th. Someone else on QT also queried on the 13th and got an immediate form-R like 15 minutes later, but no word on mine yet. Her agency's query blog also states Joanna's out of the office from August 13th-23rd. So I wonder if mine hit her email box after she left.

Sooo... waiting until she gets back, and then I'll wait the two weeks.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is "new" news but thought I'd post anyway:

http://ncliterary.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-query-guidelines.html
Starting Novemeber 1st, Nancy Coffey Literary will be implementing new query guidelines. *insert partying here* We’re particularly excited about change #1, and want to share with you now so that you have time to get excited, too! We’ll continue to remind you as the time gets closer, but for now, drum roll please:
1. President, agent, and all around awesome boss Nancy Coffey will be open to e-queries. She will continue to accept hardcopy queries as well. Don't know what she's looking for? Click here.
2. As of November 1st, all queries should be sent to our new email address: [email protected]. BEFORE NOV 1 YOUR QUERIES WILL NOT GO THROUGH TO THIS ACCOUNT.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Queried Joanna Volpe this morning. Got a request for a full and 2-page synopsis this afternoon. Now I just need to cut 100 words from my synopses =-).

Wow, fast turnaround.

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
If one agent at this agency rejects, can you query the other? I can't find that info. Thanks.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
If one agent at this agency rejects, can you query the other? I can't find that info. Thanks.

From the agency blog:

Q: Can we query more than one agent?

A: Please do not query more than one agent within the Nancy Coffey Literary agency. We are a team and share our projects with one another. If we feel that something is better suited for the other, we do pass the project to that agent.

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
From the agency blog:

Q: Can we query more than one agent?

A: Please do not query more than one agent within the Nancy Coffey Literary agency. We are a team and share our projects with one another. If we feel that something is better suited for the other, we do pass the project to that agent.

Thanks. I missed that.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Ms. Stampfel-Volpe 11/4
Gave up 11/6 :)
Full request (plus the two-page synopsis mware01 mentioned) received 11/11!

YA science fiction

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, hillaryjacques and KelleyVitollo! I'll come back with an update when I receive a response either way.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I just got a form R. I was hoping for some feedback, since it was a full. My guess is she just didn't get very far before deciding she would pass on it.

Still, prompt and polite; you can't ask for more than that.

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Joanna Volpe

This is only my second post.
I've been reading this thread because I have a full with Joanna Volpe.
I researched carefully and determined she was the agent for me.
I sent the snail mail query on October 22 offering an exclusive.
Got an email on Oct 25 asking for the full (email and hard copy).
Sent both and now I wait.

New at this. Did not specify a time limit, but am willing to wait on her.

I chose her because of her willingness to put herself out there with blogs, interviews and lots of info regarding what she likes. She seems like a "go-getter" and I hope she loves my speculative thriller as much as I do.

I know, I know..."query widely and often" is the rule, but some rules are made to be broken.

We'll see.

By the way Jody, I read your book. Absolutely brilliant! Can't wait to read the next one. Let me know if you need a beta reader.

NDZone

Registered
Reaction score
Esmeralda, why would you offer an exclusive, and an open-ended one at that?

I've never seen anything suggesting exclusives benefit anyone other than the agent. A Trident agent once asked me for 30 days and it dragged on for months. With the holidays coming up you risk putting yourself into query limbo until January. You have to abide by it this time, and hopefully it will work out, but if not consider searching Kristin Nelson and Janet Reid's blogs for opinions re exclusives. Did Jo offer a quicker read in exchange?

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Hi NDZone.
After much research, I decided she was the agent I really thought would be best for my manuscript. I told her as much and offered the exclusive in my query. She asked for the entire manuscript immediately.
I'm patient and plan to wait at least 6 weeks for her to respond.
I went the query route several years ago before putting the manuscript in the trunk and sitting on it while I worked on something else.
Gave me time to think before I took it out and reworked parts.
It's harder to wait on one than on many, but I'm hoping she loves it.
We'll see. Hope it works out this time.
Thanks for your advice.

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
I got a request for a full and a 2page synopsis from Joanna Volpe on Sunday and I am so nervous and excited after reading this thread!!! This is my first request and she sounded so lovely by email, I just hope that she likes me! Good luck to all those others who are awaiting the dreaded/awaited email!

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so after re-reading this thread from the beginning AGAIN am more nervous than ever about my full!!! I read that success story of Blind Writer and since my MS has been with Joanna a week tomorrow (sent on 21/11) I'm about ready to bang my head against the wall from going crazy with anticipation!!! Really need to get away from my computer obviously! Has anyone else heard back on their submissions??

NDZone

Registered
Reaction score
Honey, agents are people, too. Family, friends, clients. And it's Thanksgiving week. Do yourself a favor and research five more agents to query. Or start a new project, whether a manuscript or a flower garden. If interested she'll probably call rather than email anyway. Good luck!

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes, I forgot about that! (I live in the Uk) I think I just had nothing to do yesterday except work myself up into a fervour :0) I already have queried more agents before getting the request so I'm waiting to hear from them too - hence the meltdown last night ;0) I'll do something today - probably not a flower garden because the garden is covered by snow! But a second manuscript never hurt anyone...

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Wildflower. Today makes four weeks since I sent my full to Joanna. Try and be patient. Four weeks is but a blip timewise in the publishing world.
Start another project, do some research, anything but think about your full with Joanna.
I'm sure she's reading lots of others right now. I hope she's reading mine.
Got my fingers crossed for you. What do you write?

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Esmerelda! It was just a crazy time at the weekend because I had nothing to do so was going stir-crazy as well as obsessing over the MS lol. I had a new message in my inbox today and my heart stopped and all I could think was, it's too soon, it must be a rejection but it turned out to be an advertisement for whether I wanted to be a driving instructor...uh....noooo. So clearly I don't want to hear back from her :0) What a contrary person I am.
I hope she's reading yours and loving it! I've got my fingers triple crossed for you! I write romance, at the moment paranormal romance. From what I've read on this thread, Joanna likes her romance so here's hoping! What about you, what do you write?

Last edited:

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Wildflower. Joanna does seem to like romance. I write thrillers, and while she hasn't represented one before, she is looking for one. My has a strong female lead and there is a romantic interest. I'm hoping that now that Thanksgiving week is over, she'll have time to read it. And yours too!
Fingers crossed for both of us!