Memoir Question

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
realmoffear.wordpress.com
I've started writing a memoir, but I've hit a snag. I've read quite a few memoirs in my time, and usually they are either written by the person who experienced the event, someone who was told what happened, etc. For my memoir, I want to write it from the point of view of what most would call a fictional character, this way I can sort of disconnect from the writing and just pretend I'm writing a fiction book. This "character" is not entirely fiction to me. As a child I created him as part of a defense mechanism because of what was happening in my life and it was not until years later that I learned he was all in my head. (I know; it sounds crazy. But I'm all better now... mostly.)

My husband suggested I just pass off the book as fiction, but I don't feel that it will have the same impact that I want it to have. Telling it from this man's POV not only helps me write it, but I think also helps portray the depth of mental illness and trauma that was present during that time.

Can I continue this as non-fiction or should I turn it into fiction? Thanks for your help.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Do you mean in a DID (dissociative identity disorder) sort of way? Nothing wrong with that, if that is what you mean.

If so then, have you read A Fractured Mind by Robert Oxnam. Well, even if you are not talking about DID, I think reading his book might help. If I recall correctly, his book is written from the POV of three different characters, all of them are actually part of Robert Oxnam...but they feel real to him and to themselves. A Fractured Mind is a memoir.

So, I think yes, you could write it as non-fiction...possibly. :)

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes! That's exactly what I mean. :) I don't know why I didn't just write that, ha. My brain doesn't work the easy way sometimes, lol.

I have heard of the book, but have not had a chance to pick it up. I will see about ordering it.

Thanks so much for your advice. :)

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
In that case, my opinion is definately write it as non-fiction. I think it is an important topic. Important for people to see it as it really is and not the ridiculous versions of it so commonly shown in the media.

Ok, I'm risking a soap box moment here, so I'll step back. I love A Fractured Mind by Robert Oxnam and would love to see more books of this nature on the market.

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Haha, I'm glad to see there's at least one person who would read it! Haha.

Thank you for your comments. I definitely did want to continue with it as a non-fiction, but the more I thought about it, the more I wondered if my husband was right and I should make it fiction. I'm glad I stuck to my guns on this one. :)

As a side note, I just read the first few pages of A Fractured Mind on Amazon, and I did enjoy them. I will be purchasing it shortly. Thanks for the recommendation!

I survived

Registered
Reaction score
I would read your book too. I don't have DID (Dissociative Idenity Disorder formerly known as multipersonality Disorder) but I do have Dissociative Disorder not otherwise specified which causes me to loose several hours of the day (sometimes 7-8) not knowing who or where I am. I am so out of it that one time I was actually raped while wandering at 2am in the park behind the bldg I live in and didn't know it until I came to at 5am its scary!. I'm writing my memoir as a series of fiction characters each of whom have some of my experiences because it is to painful for me to put them all in one place. Also I'm targeting YA's who are also targets of abuse to give them encouragement so each book will have a character who deals with one or 2 different types of abuse. My 1st character Lea is abused by her step mother, sexually abused by a foster brother and bullied by a foster sister. Only the step mom is autobigraphical. The others are repersenative of other survivors I have known. My 2nd book will probably have my true life elementary years. I think any survivors who share their experience any way they can can make a great impact on society in showing the lasting damage this can cause.