request for full and exclusive ms - what to do?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
If the first MS is with a publisher and the second with an agent, you have no problem, and no need to mention it to the agent. If the agent hasn't specified a time period, that is a problem, as you don't want to grant an unlimited exclusive. If I were you, I'd send the MS off with a cover letter stating that you're granting them an exclusive for four weeks.

speirbhean

wishing I was reading
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that... however rereading the email it does state that the agent wants to know if any agents OR PUBLISHERS have read the MS, and it goes on to say that this particular company prefers to deal with exclusives. I agree with your idea of limiting the exclusive, but is four weeks a little short?
S

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
speirbhean - firstly, many congratulations - I'll keep my fingers crossed they make the right decision.

Secondly, regarding exclusivity my personal take on exclusives is that they suck but if you don't mind giving it, then my suggestion would be to phone up whoever requested your full and ask how long they're looking to hold it for and, if that period is acceptable to you, then restating that the exclusive is for that period in your covering letter. My understanding of exclusives is that when they're asked for, it's generally for 3 months so whilst I'd normally agree with Julie's suggestion, I think it's better to get clarification first.

Regarding the fact that the manuscript's already with a publisher, I think you do need to tell the agent that (if only so s/he knows who it's with when they sign you).

MM

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that... however rereading the email it does state that the agent wants to know if any agents OR PUBLISHERS have read the MS, and it goes on to say that this particular company prefers to deal with exclusives. I agree with your idea of limiting the exclusive, but is four weeks a little short?
S

As for the time period, it's entirely up to you. I don't give exclusives at all, but if I did, I'd keep it short. As for the question about agents and publishers that have read the MS, I've gotten that question only once. Asking about agents is entirely out of line. As for publishers, I'd say that the MS is under final consideration by Humongous Publisher, and mention the editor's name. That ought to satisfy the agent for the time being.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Secondly, regarding exclusivity my personal take on exclusives is that they suck but if you don't mind giving it, then my suggestion would be to phone up whoever requested your full and ask how long they're looking to hold it for and, if that period is acceptable to you, then restating that the exclusive is for that period in your covering letter.

I don't agree. Phoning is bad, because agents generally don't want to talk to you this early in the process. And asking for a time frame via email is either going to get you no response, or a response you don't like. If they didn't specify, just put your own time frame in the cover letter. If it's short, they'll just have to read yours before the others. Which is a good thing, right?

speirbhean

wishing I was reading
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. At the moment my gut instinct is to be honest (always the best policy) and to tell the agent that a publishing house has requested a full. I am also tending towards giving them a three month time frame to read the MS - the letter will be nicely phrased of course.

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
I'm not experienced in this at all, but if the agent wants an exclusive, wouldn't it be good to tell them it's not an exclsuive because a publishing house is considering it? If it hasn't been declined, would this really work against the author?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not experienced in this at all, but if the agent wants an exclusive, wouldn't it be good to tell them it's not an exclsuive because a publishing house is considering it? If it hasn't been declined, would this really work against the author?

When the agent asks for the full and says he wants an exclusive read, this means he wants to be the only agent with the full. It doesn't mean you can't have publishers reading (a different issue), and it doesn't mean you can't send out queries or partials to other agents.

Jimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmjanik.homestead.com
Just to add one more variable to the mix...

quite a few agents are unhappy to represent work that has been "shopped around" to various publishers. Many or even most will want to know which publishers have read the full before they agree to sign you. They'll actually ask for a list of who you've subbed to. Then they may or may not rep your ms based on that.

Jimmer

moondance

Registered
Reaction score
I would do option (c) They said they 'preferred' exclusivity - well, that doesn't mean they're going to turn down your on the basis that it's being looked at by a publisher. In fact, it may spur them on, because if the publisher is then interested, the agent could negotiate the contract with them on your behalf - so I would have thought it's in both your interests to be open about it. Say that the ms has been with the publisher for six months though, and that you have chased them about it. Promise you won't send it to anyone else for three months. That should be enough to satisfy them.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Julie Worth:
I don't agree. Phoning is bad, because agents generally don't want to talk to you this early in the process. And asking for a time frame via email is either going to get you no response, or a response you don't like. If they didn't specify, just put your own time frame in the cover letter. If it's short, they'll just have to read yours before the others. Which is a good thing, right?

Not necessarily. The UK agent presentations I've been to say that if they've asked for material and you've got a question, then to phone up and ask it on the basis they'd rather get something that's right than something where the author's made a guess and it's been wrong. If you put a time period of 4 weeks when they're expecting 3 months, then there's a risk they'll think you're trying to hurry them, are difficult, have unrealistic expectations etc. Re-reading speirbhean's post, it sounds to me that the agent is asking for a limitless exclusive, which is why I'd want to get clarification. You don't necessarily have to speak to the agent, you can ask to speak to the assistant, who should be able to tell you what you need to know - there's no need to make a big performance out of it, it's just a quick, polite phone call to make sure you're giving them what they need.

MM