General anime discussion thread

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
The Atelier Escha and Logy anime hasn't shifted around in terms of release date (that I'm aware of, anyway) since it was first announced. I'm betting that it's going to air on schedule. The situation with the Sailor Moon thing is a bit different: it's currently listed as an OAV or special, which tend to have fuzzier schedules, and it needs to be able to bear up under the weight of an anime predecessor that's regarded with rose-tinted nostalgia. None of the Atelier games (or any other game from Studio Gust, for that matter) has ever been adapted for an anime before, and while I'm sure the crossover audience from the games will have something to say about the quality of the adaptation, the show is more likely to succeed or fail on its own merits than its likeness to the source material.

(I'm currently considering whether or not it's worth buying up a PS3 while the consile and discs are still widely available when I still have a stack of unplayed JRPGs from the last two console generations. Especially given that I prefer 2D.)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me, I got the new BlazBlue game pre-ordered and I am STOKED.

I'd love to buy that. I'm not aware of any EU schedule, so far, though.

Something I just remembered today: as a kid, I wanted to grow up to be a bishonen.

I'm still waiting for the ability to have rose petals fall from the sky when I speak.

Heh. Anime as a kid? That was in the 70ies in Austria. The stuff they exported back then wasn't exactly rich in bishounen. Let's just say... Switzerland is a neighbouring country, but the image I had of Heidi (girl of the alps) came all the way from Japan. That's what anime amounted to back then. (World Master Piece Theatre, stuff with animals, Captain Future...)

(I'm currently considering whether or not it's worth buying up a PS3 while the consile and discs are still widely available when I still have a stack of unplayed JRPGs from the last two console generations. Especially given that I prefer 2D.)

I prefer 2D, too. (When Tecmo Koei took over as publishers for the Atelier series, the series switched from sprite-based dialogue scenes to 3D-model dialogue scenes. It's well implemented, I find, but some of the charm is irretrievably lost.)

I bought the PS3, because I was running out of games on the PS2 (never had a console of the generation before that). I doubt I'd have bought it with a backlibrary to play. I dislike that you have to install some games onto a hard drive, and I dislike the trophy system. Most of the games I enjoy would have worked equally well on older systems. There are quite a few games I'm glad I played, though.

And if everything works out, Persona 5 will be coming to the PS3. So there's that (if you like that series).

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to buy that. I'm not aware of any EU schedule, so far, though.

I am so sorry to hear that. I bet it'd be a pain in the ass to import NA games then? :(

Heh. Anime as a kid? That was in the 70ies in Austria. The stuff they exported back then wasn't exactly rich in bishounen. Let's just say... Switzerland is a neighbouring country, but the image I had of Heidi (girl of the alps) came all the way from Japan. That's what anime amounted to back then. (World Master Piece Theatre, stuff with animals, Captain Future...)

Well... here I was going to complain about how easy kids got it these days, with their torrents and crunchyroll and surprisingly good FUNimation dubs.

But I'll not.

I prefer 2D, too. (When Tecmo Koei took over as publishers for the Atelier series, the series switched from sprite-based dialogue scenes to 3D-model dialogue scenes. It's well implemented, I find, but some of the charm is irretrievably lost.)

3D is pig disgusting! (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

But I imagine that was a lot like when they ported Cave Story to the 3DS and gave it 3D models. Cool idea, but some of the spark was gone.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear that. I bet it'd be a pain in the ass to import NA games then? :(

At least it's possible. The PS2 was region locked. (There were ways around that, but none that were safe or weren't a hassle switching back and forth.)

I'm not thinking of importing yet, though. It's not that unusual for Europe to lag behind the US, and when there's no announcement, there can be licensing problems, or - in some very rare cases - age labelling problems. The game doesn't appear in any release charts, yet, but I think we have a good chance to get it eventually. We got all the other games in the series, after all.

Well... here I was going to complain about how easy kids got it these days, with their torrents and crunchyroll and surprisingly good FUNimation dubs.

But I'll not.

Not only the kids have it easy. I'm not complaining. (Don't care about dubs, though. I don't think I've watched any of my Dvds with anything but the original track.)

3D is pig disgusting! (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

But I imagine that was a lot like when they ported Cave Story to the 3DS and gave it 3D models. Cool idea, but some of the spark was gone.

Yep, it's just not the same.

But for me 3D environments have the additional risk of causing motion sickness. I can't play Dragon Age Origins for example - I'm queasy as soon as I start moving and get a headache if I play for a few minutes. Ugh.

One of the things that... surprised me: Goro Miyazaki will direct the first Gibhli TV series (Ronia Robber's daughter)... and it will use 3D CG. For the love of anime... WHY????????????

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
Anime as a kid . . . Heh. I may be just a bit younger than you, Dawnstorm--I primarily remember the bowdlerized adaptations from the late 70s/early 80s (Battle of the Planets, Warriors of the Wind . . ) I didn't find out that they were anime until years later, of course.

The main case for buying up a PS3 now, or in the near future, is that the games will start to become difficult to acquire if I wait too long. I can still get many PS2 games factory-sealed at reasonable prices if I take the time to poke around looking, but PS1 games are becoming more and more expensive and difficult to find--if I'm lucky, I can find used copies on ebay for what amounts to (after shipping from the States) the same amount as they cost new, and there are one or two that I would love to get my hands on that can't be obtained except at an inflated price. Suikoden 2 is the worst of those, with the translated version typically going for around three times the original retail price.

My motion-sickness limit with regard to 3D games is about 15-20 minutes of Minecraft--after that, I become so nauseous I have to stop.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't find out that they were anime until years later, of course.

I don't exactly remember when I first heard the term "anime". As a kid, I just called them Japanese cartoons (the German equivalent of course). Austrian children's TV was dominated by American and Japanese series. There were also some co-productions (German/Austrian/Japanese), such as Wickie, who had some of the characterstics of Japanese productions, and I didn't always know they were produced in Japan. (Captain Future had an entirely new soundtrack in German TV. I didn't find out until much later. The German soundtrack is excellent and fits the show very well. I actually prefer the opening.)

I think the first time I saw an anime that was set in Japan was in the early 90ies (Attack #1; a late 60ies show about girl volley ball). Sailor Moon followed, and that was, I think, the TV anime boom with all the shounen fighters (Naruto, Inuyasha...).

I quite literally grew up with anime, though for the first two decades of my life it was mostly stuff targeted at children, with the occasional film (I still remember wanting to see Akira, but it never came to a cinema near me).

Many of the shows I watched back then hold up surprisingly well, especially the World Masterpiece Theatre shows, but also stuff like Sindbad, for example.

The main case for buying up a PS3 now, or in the near future, is that the games will start to become difficult to acquire if I wait too long. I can still get many PS2 games factory-sealed at reasonable prices if I take the time to poke around looking, but PS1 games are becoming more and more expensive and difficult to find--if I'm lucky, I can find used copies on ebay for what amounts to (after shipping from the States) the same amount as they cost new, and there are one or two that I would love to get my hands on that can't be obtained except at an inflated price. Suikoden 2 is the worst of those, with the translated version typically going for around three times the original retail price.

Sounds like you're pretty much in the same situation as I was when I bought mine. (The PS3 was already available when I bought my PS2. I still like the PS2 better, all in all.)

My motion-sickness limit with regard to 3D games is about 15-20 minutes of Minecraft--after that, I become so nauseous I have to stop.

It's rare these days that games give me trouble. Dragon Age Origins is an extreme offender; reminds me of the early DOS days, when everything went first person perspective, but the graphic engines didn't always keep up. Here it's a matter of programming.

Ni no Kuni had one dungeon where I didn't look for chests; interesting design, but not good for me. I rushed through it as fast as I could.

The last time I got motion sick in anime was the first scene of the first episode of Girls und Panzer. I thought I wouldn't be able to watch the show (and I also thought it wouldn't matter; I almost quit - the show gave me no troubles later on, and turned out to be quite fun).

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I've pointed Draconess25 over to this thread since she was asking elsewhere if anyone was a Yu Yu Hakusho fan and knew of good fan communities.

I haven't seen it myself so I'm not sure, but I bet someone around here has. :) DeviantArt comes to mind as a possible fan hang-out, I know the Digimon fan community are still going strong over there and in small pockets on Tumblr.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I remember it from its old Toonami days. Pretty good show, definitely one of the better action series you'll find. Though it's been a really long time since I've seen it.

Draconess25

My Own Goddess
Registered
Reaction score
I've pointed Draconess25 over to this thread since she was asking elsewhere if anyone was a Yu Yu Hakusho fan and knew of good fan communities.

I haven't seen it myself so I'm not sure, but I bet someone around here has. :) DeviantArt comes to mind as a possible fan hang-out, I know the Digimon fan community are still going strong over there and in small pockets on Tumblr.

The fandom seems to be dying on DA and Tumblr too. Besides, I think Digimon is one of those things that'll never die.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The fact that the fandom is dying out for it isn't surprising. The series is about twenty years old now. There's the rare few series that seems to have a fandom forever, but most don't make it past ten years.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Yu Yu Hakusho is one of those shows that never made it on TV around here, and I don't normally seek out long-running shows. I do wonder, though, whether the fandom "dying out" could have to do with the popularity of the 2011 remake of Hunter X Hunter. They share the same mangaka, so if fans of Togashi shift their attention from Yu Yu Hakusho to Hunter X Hunter because of the series, that would make sense. (The manga's on break, I think?)

Shounen fighters aren't really my speciality, so that may just be my attention bias leading to that theory. (I'm actually watching Hunter X Hunter. I love its ever-expanding cast, and that it's not afraid to be silly if it wants to.)

Draconess25

My Own Goddess
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been able to watch Hunter X Hunter. I refuse to watch shows on Youtube because no one person will ever upload the whole series, and animefreak.tv hasn't been working for me. But I've been told it's good.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I haven't been able to watch Hunter X Hunter. I refuse to watch shows on Youtube because no one person will ever upload the whole series, and animefreak.tv hasn't been working for me. But I've been told it's good.

Sounds like you need to invest in a Crunchyroll membership!

(Though, er, check Hunter X Hunter is available in your region first. I'm fairly sure it is but I've been wrong before...)

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
IIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiifffffff you wanna try out Crunchyroll, I got those premium membership free trial things that I don't mind handing out like candy.

YYH was one of the best shonen I've ever seen. It basically took care of all the issues I had regarding other fighter anime. I mean... side characters aren't useless!

I do feel your pain as I know what it's like to be part of a dying/obscure fandom. Show me something with Earthbound or FFT (the original not the Advance "sequels") and I will FLIP OUT.

Well, EB has a solid fandom, so nevermind too much on that.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen YYH yet, but I'm a fan of shounen. Seems like we don't get enough shounen love on AW. (<-- And yes, I know what that reads like... :tongue)

Slowly making my way through Gintama, which is an excellent parody/meta/satire of shounen and animes in general. :D

Next will probably be either One Piece or the new HxH.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I have mixed opinions on Shounen. I've seen too many start out good and interesting to just get worse over time. However, at its best, it's still a fun and intense genre to watch.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Come to think of it, my favorite series, Death Note, is classified as a shonen too. Attack on Titan is shonen as well for that matter. If Kill La Kill is classified as one too (not sure) then that means two of the biggest hits from last year are.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Well, shounen is a genre defined over its marketing demopgraphic. There's a lot of shounen out there. That includes pretty much all the girl-harems, some romances, many comedies, a lot of sports shows... A lot of shows I like are probably shounen.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Well, shounen is a genre defined over its marketing demopgraphic. There's a lot of shounen out there. That includes pretty much all the girl-harems, some romances, many comedies, a lot of sports shows... A lot of shows I like are probably shounen.

You're right. I was using "shounen" in the more stereotypical definition. I should probably look up a more accurate sub-genre for what I mean...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You're right. I was using "shounen" in the more stereotypical definition. I should probably look up a more accurate sub-genre for what I mean...

Are you talking about tournament and battle shounen? I can still enjoy those, but I dislike endless series like the Big Three (Naruto/Bleach/One Piece). It's the filler that's disliked.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Are you talking about tournament and battle shounen? I can still enjoy those, but I dislike endless series like the Big Three (Naruto/Bleach/One Piece). It's the filler that's disliked.

That seems about right. Other anime include Fullmetal Alchemist, Fairy Tail, D.Grayman, Hunter X Hunter, and Soul Eater. I know they do get mentioned occasionally in this thread, but it doesn't seem like they get the same amount of attention/love.

FWIW, Bleach did end, though I gave up on it years ago so I have no idea what happened.

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, Bleach did end, though I gave up on it years ago so I have no idea what happened.

The manga is still going (it's supposedly the final story arc, but we'll see how that works out).