Rejectomancy

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you actually know what the pay rates for Washington Pastime are? It's not made clear anywhere on their site or Duotrope, and because of this I've only been submitting reprints to them.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Rs today from Daily Science Fiction & Journal of Compressed Creative Arts (ultra-fast on that one as someone else mentioned recently).

Good news is that I've hit a new high in number of pieces out for submission.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Do any of you actually know what the pay rates for Washington Pastime are? It's not made clear anywhere on their site or Duotrope, and because of this I've only been submitting reprints to them.
On their site, it says:

Pay Rate: Pay ranges from Token payment to Professional payment (5 US cents per word) for fiction. Payment will be made through The Washington Pastime PAYPAL account, with no exceptions.

I'm assuming it depends on what you send. If it's unpublished, then you probably get the pro-rate. If a reprint, token payment. But yeah, they should make it clearer.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
On their site, it says:

Pay Rate: Pay ranges from Token payment to Professional payment (5 US cents per word) for fiction. Payment will be made through The Washington Pastime PAYPAL account, with no exceptions.

I'm assuming it depends on what you send. If it's unpublished, then you probably get the pro-rate. If a reprint, token payment. But yeah, they should make it clearer.
That basically means they can offer what they want.

ETA: Gah! Hit post too quick.

It could be that they reserve pro payment for writers they solicit fiction from. Or it might mean they pay on what they feel the merit of the piece is. Or it could mean something else entirely.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
That basically means they can offer what they want.

ETA: Gah! Hit post too quick.

It could be that they reserve pro payment for writers they solicit fiction from. Or it might mean they pay on what they feel the merit of the piece is. Or it could mean something else entirely.
Really? That kinda...sucks. : /

I wonder if anyone around here has been published by them would be able to shed some light on this. :Huh:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Really? That kinda...sucks. : /
I'm not saying that's what they do (though it kinda sounded that way, didn't it?). :) They might have a typical price per word they pay. But the lack of clarity means it gets confusing.

I know they're not a lit mag, but a lot of lit mags don't state upfront what they pay.

I wonder if anyone around here has been published by them would be able to shed some light on this. :Huh:
We'd need a case study of at least five, the not-very-good statistician in me thinks.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not saying that's what they do (though it kinda sounded that way, didn't it?). :) They might have a typical price per word they pay. But the lack of clarity means it gets confusing.
I understood what you meant. :) But if it's true (and it may very well be false) that they pay what they want, well... that would suck.

We'd need a case study of at least five, the not-very-good statistician in me thinks.
A dozen or so would be best. ;)

katsincommand

Writer, Not Quitter
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dmbonanno.com
I'm dizzy... I've had 9 rejections in the past 16 days, one of which included a note that they'd like to see if again if I rewrite it. Nice feedback, but I really need my other subs to stay out for a little while so I can use my writing time to um.. you know, write? :)

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
I'm dizzy... I've had 9 rejections in the past 16 days, one of which included a note that they'd like to see if again if I rewrite it. Nice feedback, but I really need my other subs to stay out for a little while so I can use my writing time to um.. you know, write? :)

Sorry about the Rs! Yeah, I was thinking about this last night.. Got an R, reread the story, then of course needed to do some tweaking, then needed to reformat everything again, and write a new cover letter - so, whew, took an hour or two to send it out again. Would like to have crickets for a while, but I'm sure I'm going to get at least one R tomorrow. Oh well.

Good luck with the rewrite (if you do it)!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I understood what you meant. :) But if it's true (and it may very well be false) that they pay what they want, well... that would suck.

This is precisely why I'm holding off on subbing unpublished stories to those guys. I don't want to get an acceptance and $5.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got my first official rejection of 2012! (As in, for a story submitted in 2012). Goldfish Grimm rejected "Those Who Can't Do" in 24 hours. I figured they might have enjoyed a story that had a bit about a goldfish in it, but they didn't enjoy it enough to buy. :)

Rummaging through my stories for something else to ship their way. I love 24-hour response times!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:(

((((((Alex))))))

Quick turnaround, though.

katsincommand

Writer, Not Quitter
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dmbonanno.com
I got my first official rejection of 2012! (As in, for a story submitted in 2012). Goldfish Grimm rejected "Those Who Can't Do" in 24 hours. I figured they might have enjoyed a story that had a bit about a goldfish in it, but they didn't enjoy it enough to buy. :)

Rummaging through my stories for something else to ship their way. I love 24-hour response times!

Goldfish. heh. :) love it.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
The downside of having a lot of stories out there floating around...

6 Rs in the last 48 hours. Oof.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Thanks, Alex and Deadlight. I knew that when the dam burst it wasn't going to be pretty. Going to spend some time this morning getting stories back out to markets.

Alex, no word yet from Stupefying.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
My first R for 2012 came in from Cezanne’s Carrot yesterday.

But I had my last outstanding piece for 2011 accepted at Liquid Imagination the day before, so my week has balanced out :tongue

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first R for 2012 came in from Cezanne’s Carrot yesterday.

But I had my last outstanding piece for 2011 accepted at Liquid Imagination the day before, so my week has balanced out :tongue

Congratulations on the sale! But take it to the Braggage thread, you're diluting our misery :) Seriously though, well done.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Going to spend some time this morning getting stories back out to markets.

So, I did this. I got everything I have in submission-ready shape back out the door. Even printed out the hardcopy submission for this month's AHMM contest.

And I got to spend, oh, maybe half an hour in this blissful state of having everything on sub...

Before another R came in the door!

Sometimes you've just got to... :ROFL:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(((((Michael)))))

That's harsh!

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
So, I did this. I got everything I have in submission-ready shape back out the door. Even printed out the hardcopy submission for this month's AHMM contest.

And I got to spend, oh, maybe half an hour in this blissful state of having everything on sub...

Before another R came in the door!

Sometimes you've just got to... :ROFL:

Ouch on the timing :tongue