Revisions + full request - what do I do?

Enraptured

Narrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoecannon.com
Revisions + full request -- what do I do?

A while ago, I had an agent request a full. Then I got a letter from her, saying that she loved the idea but saw some problems with the manuscript. She told me what the problems were, and said she would love to look at a revised version. I've been working on revisions, and think it's making the book better, overall.

Today another agent requested a full. And she wants an exclusive.

The first agent isn't actively looking at the manuscript right now, but I still think it would be dishonest to give the second agent an exclusive, since I do intend to send a revised version to the first agent. But I'm wondering if I should send the manuscript at all - once I send the revised version to the first agent, will she assume that no one else is looking at it? I don't want to lose my chance with the second agent, though, because I know the first agent might not offer representation.

Also, if I do send the manuscript to the second agent, how do I explain the situation to her? How much of an explanation is necessary? And do I send the unrevised version, or do I wait until I'm finished with the revisions, which may take a month or two?

I could conceivably send the manuscript and put a deadline on the exclusivity, and send the revised version to the first agent after the deadline has passed, but that strikes me as kind of dishonest too; I'm not sure whether it would be considered acceptable. And don't agents generally keep full manuscripts for several months? Doing things that way would also mean that I would have to send her the unrevised version instead of the revised version.

*head explodes*

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I dunno. I think what you can do here is be honest, but not detailed. Say you have the MS with another agent and therefore cannot grant an exclusive. Ask if the agent would still like the MS nonetheless and that the moment you hear from the other agent, be it positive or negative, you will inform them. Some agents who want an exclusive will still agree to this. Then if the agent agrees, you will still be sending her the revised MS. This means you will be at that time also sending it back to the original agent, at the which point you inform her that the MS is also with someone else, and you will inform her when you hear either negative or positive.

I know you said that right now no one has your MS and you could conceivably grant an exclusive, but that makes no sense to me because don't you want to send your revised much better MS that you are working on now, rather than the old one? And when you finish revising it, then you will be sending the MS out to both agents anyway.

Anyway, that's my advice. Maybe others will have different. I think communicating is the key.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto to what Toothpaste said.

You are kind of between and rock and a hard place and can only do the best you can.

Enraptured

Narrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoecannon.com
I dunno. I think what you can do here is be honest, but not detailed. Say you have the MS with another agent and therefore cannot grant an exclusive. Ask if the agent would still like the MS nonetheless and that the moment you hear from the other agent, be it positive or negative, you will inform them. Some agents who want an exclusive will still agree to this. Then if the agent agrees, you will still be sending her the revised MS. This means you will be at that time also sending it back to the original agent, at the which point you inform her that the MS is also with someone else, and you will inform her when you hear either negative or positive.

That sounds like a good plan to me. There's a good chance she'll want the manuscript anyway; she wanted an exclusive on the partial, and when I told her it was with another agent, she asked me to send it anyway.

The only question is, if she does want the manuscript without exclusivity, how do I explain not sending it for another month or two? I'm afraid that asking her to wait while I revise the manuscript will look unprofessional, since it's supposed to be completely polished by the time you send out the query. Should I tell her that I'm revising on the suggestion of another agent, or will that make it look like I'm already working with another agent and/or make it look like I'm trying to impress her with how many agents like my work?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I think you simply shouldn't take a month or two on revisions. You got yourself into this situation, so now it's time to buckle down. Take at most a month, if not less. It is not impossible to do that. Trust me. When I sent out my partial to an agency, I thought I had at least 4 weeks before I'd hear back, and that would give me the incentive to finish the book (around 20 000 words). The next day I heard back, they wanted the full. So I took the following three days and finished the book, and sent it off. It was a hellish three days, but I did what I had to do.

It's your turn. Make your turnaround faster. If you can get the changes done in less than a month, then I say don't mention anything. Just say, "Yup I'll send you the MS" and then send it to her in three weeks.

Enraptured

Narrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoecannon.com
I think you simply shouldn't take a month or two on revisions. You got yourself into this situation, so now it's time to buckle down. Take at most a month, if not less. It is not impossible to do that. Trust me. When I sent out my partial to an agency, I thought I had at least 4 weeks before I'd hear back, and that would give me the incentive to finish the book (around 20 000 words). The next day I heard back, they wanted the full. So I took the following three days and finished the book, and sent it off. It was a hellish three days, but I did what I had to do.

It's your turn. Make your turnaround faster. If you can get the changes done in less than a month, then I say don't mention anything. Just say, "Yup I'll send you the MS" and then send it to her in three weeks.

I considered doing that, but I don't want to look like I rushed through the revisions, either. I'm also out of town for a week, with limited writing time :/

I asked elsewhere, and the general consensus there was to just explain the situation to the agent. I think that's probably what I'm going to do; I'm afraid of breaking some kind of rule of protocol, but I got some suggestions on how to word it. And I'll be more comfortable the more I can explain. My only concern is inadvertently stepping on somebody's toes; I know there are all kinds of invisible rules in publishing. I'm not sure whether it would be considered bad manners to tell an agent that I'm working on revisions from another agent... but from what I've heard, it's most likely not.

Last edited:

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Lie through your teeth.

It's holiday season and you're going to be away. Don't reply to the agent who wants the exclusive until later. Then tell her you've been away and you're now taking a final look at the MS before sending it to her. That will give you some breathing space. Now spend every moment doing the revisions the first agent asked for. Don't hang about or you could lose both.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Eek - this is a toughie. I looked at your post yesterday and wanted to reply, but was afraid of influencing you in the wrong direction.

So, this is ONLY a suggestion:

Let the second agent know you are editing on suggested amendments from another agent who does not have exclusivity. Meanwhile, say you'll send the unrevised version for her consideration. BUT, an exclusivity period needs to be established. (My agent asked for two weeks and came back six days after receiving the full ms with his own request for amendments).

I think what I'm trying to say is that you are not yet committed to any agent, which leaves you free to play the field. Also, the revision you carry out for agent one may not be what agent two wants. And, if agent one was interested enough in the "raw" version to spend time reading through and making editorial suggestions, it means your book stood up well as it was.

Time pressure is a real bummer. so in your shoes I'd send the ms as it stands to agent two on the basis that, as she/he liked the partial, she/he will either like the rest or won't. I would take confidence from the fact that, if one agent liked the book and thought it worth spending editing time on, chances are another agent will feel the same.

Enraptured

Narrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoecannon.com
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I thought it over, and I decided I'd be most comfortable waiting for the first agent to look over the revised version, considering the work she's already put into it. So I sent the second agent an email explaining the situation, and telling her that if the first agent and I don't wind up sharing the same vision for the story, I'd be happy to send it to her if she's still interested. I got a response the next day, and it sounds like she would still be very interested in seeing the manuscript if things don't work out with the first agent. So I think it turned out well :D

Kirby

Destined to serve and roam.
Registered
Reaction score
I think if you're honest, you'll feel better about it. Plus, it looks good for you that another agent has already requested a full. It might impress the second agent.