is sitemeter loaded with spyware?

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
i have heard several people say that sitemeter includes unauthorised spyware in their tracking software.

does anyone know if this is true? i've removed it from all but one of my sites, and am curious to know whether anyone knows if there is any truth to this rumour?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
If it's true, I don't see that it's had any impact on me. Maybe I just don't know how to determine it. I've had Site Meter for as long as I've had my blog, too.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
apparently the spyware attaches itself to visitors not the owner of the blog

i can't find the info but statcounter explained it when they were trying to get me to switch

Deleted member 42

The guy who runs/writes/owns sitemeter is a nice guy; write and ask him.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently Sitemeter has been dropping rouge tracking cookies on visitor's computers. Google "sitemeter spyware" (without the quotes) and you'll see plenty of references.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently Sitemeter has been dropping rouge tracking cookies on visitor's computers. Google "sitemeter spyware" (without the quotes) and you'll see plenty of references.

that's pretty much what i heard. statcounter says the same thing. it doesn't give sitemeter's name, it simply talks about another "free" stat counter tracking using unauthorised tracking. I checked my emails but i haven't saved the email

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
i've done the same thing and replaced it with stat counter, which now has a larger log file to track usage

ps marilyn - love dame edna ;)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not clear what the issue is. I know Google Analytics (which I use) sets a cookie in visitors' browsers - that's how they determine "new" vs. "return" visitors. I thought they all worked that way.
That's just the most visible and benign use of cookies, things like coming to AW and it sees I'm benbradley because it left a cooking on this machine that I was last logged in as benbradley on AW.

Web banner advertising companies such as Doubleclick (what I'm describing is what they were doing ten years ago!) save just about every piece of info they can legally collect, such as every website you've been to that brings up a Doubleclick banner ad and every website that has an "affinity" agreement with Doubleclick, what ads you've clicked on, and such. This is used to bring up targeted ads, which you are more likely to click on, and the advertiser is more likely to make money from. A lot of people see this as an invasion of privacy, and this is hardly the worst-case scenario. Cookies are often used like spyware, saving aspects of your websurfing you wouldn't expect.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score