Last Movie You Watched...

writeronfire

Like my boots?
Registered
Reaction score
The Brave One.

Cool movie and I love the song at the end. Answer.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Solyaris (1972) by Andrei Tarkovsky.

The guy's a genius.

Love it love it love it. Stalker is Tarkovsky's best SF though, at least in my opinion.

I've just seen the Departed, again.

Oh man everything's so perfect. Martin Sheen owns, Di Caprio owns, Mark Whalberg owns (never thought I'd say that), ALEC FUCKING BALDWIN owns, music owns, directoral style owns.

I especially loved the little montage with Di Caprio's character beating the shit out of people and blowing stuff up as Matt Damon's embarrased about his premature ejaculation (don't worry Mr Damon I still would). Nice de-construction of the whole mob movie machoism there.

It also makes brilliant use of soundtrack, and more importantly, when to stop it. Perhaps the sudden stops of music get a little overused, but the silences are genuinley tense.

Also, Matt Damon <3.

EDIT- AND NOW I learn that the RZA was considered for the role of the black cop but turned it down. Why the hell? For God's sake RZA it's not like you have a real career anymore.

Last edited:

WriterUnboxed

caramello, per favore
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writerunboxed.com
I watched Creature from the Black Lagoon with my two kids. It was time for the initiation into B horror flicks. Next up, The Blog.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to watch STALKER once...

It

was

watching

Paint

Dry.

The book, Roadside Picnic, and the video game, Shadows of Chernobyl, were a lot more effective, IMO, than the movie.

I just watched the Rocketeer. A forgotten bit of Disney magic, that combines jetpacks, the 1930s, Nazis, Gangsters, and fistfights on top of exploding zeppelins!

What more do you want!?

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to watch STALKER once...

It

was

watching

Paint

Dry.

The book, Roadside Picnic, and the video game, Shadows of Chernobyl, were a lot more effective, IMO, than the movie.

Tarkovsky didn't make video games. His plots always moved with glacial slowness. He's not making a remake of Roadside Picnic, he's saying something about the Stalker and the fundamental optimism and naivety of man in light of things we cannot understand.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Tarkovsky didn't make video games.

Oops. I'm waiting to see how Zoombie reacts to that :roll:

I agree, though, that Tarkovsky isn't for everyone. Some of my friends love him, some of them outright hate him, most of them would have no clue about him even if I shoved his movies right in front of their eyes. He has a very distinct style of shooting hypnotizing long shots that is enjoyable to those who like these kinds of visual imagery.

Last edited:

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Oops. I'm waiting to see how Zoombie reacts to that :roll:

I agree, though, that Tarkovsky isn't for everyone. Some of my friends love him, some of them outright hate him, most of them would have no clue about him even if I shoved his movies right in front of their eyes. He has a very distinct style of shooting hypnotizing long shots that is enjoyable to those who like these kinds of visual imagery.

I wouldn't be able to see Solaris on the TV Guide and think 'Oh cool I'll watch that' like I can with Aliens or whatever, I have to steel myself over a few days first. I can also see how after playing Stalker and reading Roadside Picnic you could get the wrong idea of what it's about. I saw it as more of a play than a movie really.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
An old Cary Grant with Shirley Temple ... The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer. I know it's supposed to be screwball, and it even won the best original screenplay in 1948. But, oh Cary Grant. Why?

I guess it just goes to show some things don't hold up.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Public Enemies. Still swooning. Quite the sexy film.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
The Untouchables

Worth it for the totally stupid and disneylike gunfight where the wimpy tax collector kills about 5 people (when he's a policeman and is supposed to, you know, arrest people), followed by Kevin Kostner shooting a guy and screaming 'GODDAMN DO YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME?'. It takes balls to make a scene that crap. I also liked this unintentional Battleship Potemkin reference.

How else can I recommend this film... I guess if you like Ennio Morricone you can keep your eyes closed for 2 hours.

Also, Sean Connery and Kevin Costner need to die soon.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
The way Tarkovsky has been described is that he is less occupied about what will happen in the future in the form of plot, but an observation of the present moment.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Tokyo! It's like the Japanese version of Paris, je t'aime but so much weirder. The Japanese are so strange. I don't know if I like it or not, but it certainly is fascinating to watch because it's so bizarre.