The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I single space. I never thought about it at all. Other Lisa, is your double spacing that a personal preference, or an industry preference I didn't know about?

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If you mean after a period, it's one space. But when you say "single-space" I think of line spacing.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
I single space too. My writing partner said she read a few publisher sites and they said double space (not sure where exactly she looked)

wittyusernamehere

Registered
Reaction score
Jeez, I feel old. I learned double space after the end of a sentence on a typewriter.

The worst is that even though I know it has gone out of style, I can't seem to retrain my brain not to do the double hit thing on the spacebar. Even when I'm trying to relearn, and I delete one of the spaces, it is like a bad itch I can't scratch until I put the second space back in.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Witty, me too. When I asked the S0h0 people, I think their style guide is one space, but they told me not to worry about it (they were similarly cool about the whole Em-dash thing, which I so do not understand!).

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Jeez, I feel old. I learned double space after the end of a sentence on a typewriter.

The worst is that even though I know it has gone out of style, I can't seem to retrain my brain not to do the double hit thing on the spacebar. Even when I'm trying to relearn, and I delete one of the spaces, it is like a bad itch I can't scratch until I put the second space back in.

Same here-- I learned on a manual and I still hit the keys too hard. *pets laptop*

I was a typesetter for several years (cold type, developed like photographs), and that's when single-spacing between sentences came in and stayed. But truly, I doubt it's a ms. deal-breaker. A search-and-replace would take care of it in a few seconds if you were really worried about it. :)

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I am an em-dash addict!
Does this — show up as an em-dash to you guys, or some weird funky gobbly-gook?

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yay! Does this mean I can use real em-dashes in my posts now? *rubs hands in glee*

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I love em-dashes when I write. Then when I edit, I turn most into full stops.

And in emails and message boards I love to end with ellipses...

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing HC. That's amazing, I'm glad you weren't stuck waiting long. What do you write? (Sorry if you already said this before somewhere else)

My agent's pretty good at chasing down editors. :) (The deal happened while both my agent and editor were on vacation!)

I write offbeat adult commercial fiction.

Good luck with your submission!

Hi Soulcascade! Hi Shinta! I am a noob as well. Have been on submission since the beginning of December, and totally enjoy reading the posts here. It is a brief solace from being poked repeatedly in the butt by my personal email demon with his 'no new messages' pitchfork.

:roll:

I am an em-dash addict!
Does this — show up as an em-dash to you guys, or some weird funky gobbly-gook?

Me too! I always need to go over the book and start plucking some out - otherwise the MS starts looking like one long equation.:D

As for spacing, I double spaced my MS because that's what Nathan Bransford said in his blog. Oops.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Maui, I wonder if you read it the way I did -- I thought the question was about double-spacing the manuscript, which you certainly MUST do. But it was about the number of spaces after a period, between sentences.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Wow, I'd never seen this thread before. And it perfectly describes me right now.

Hell X 2:

1. Waiting for response on edited mid grade book and its synopsis. (Lee~! I need a pat on the head). I don't want to dig into anything else until I know if what is done is good enough or if it needs an overhaul.

2. I sent in a short story to an anthology put together by the HWA. Looks like a lot of big names (in the horror genre) will be in in the ToC. For the last week people have been posting about receiving responses ("I'm in!" or "It was close."). So I've been checking my e-mail a zillion times a day and still no word. My fingernails can get no more chewed.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Maui, I wonder if you read it the way I did -- I thought the question was about double-spacing the manuscript, which you certainly MUST do. But it was about the number of spaces after a period, between sentences.

Oops. For the record, I meant do you put two spaces after a period or one. So does you paragraph look like this.
"lalalala. lalalala." or like his "lalalala. lalalala"

So...yeah, I meant the number of spaces after a period between sentences (thanks for clarifying that Other Lisa!)

BTW, I LOVE ellipses. When I edit, I always have to take tons out of my MS.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I'd never seen this thread before. And it perfectly describes me right now.

Hell X 2:

1. Waiting for response on edited mid grade book and its synopsis. (Lee~! I need a pat on the head). I don't want to dig into anything else until I know if what is done is good enough or if it needs an overhaul.

2. I sent in a short story to an anthology put together by the HWA. Looks like a lot of big names (in the horror genre) will be in in the ToC. For the last week people have been posting about receiving responses ("I'm in!" or "It was close."). So I've been checking my e-mail a zillion times a day and still no word. My fingernails can get no more chewed.

*crosses fingers for madder* I'm surprised you haven't started biting actual skin...I'd probably be missing a full finger or two by now if I were you.
Here's hoping you get a "YES!" I'm rootin' for ya!

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com

Hell X 2:

Hey!! I wondered why you never wandered into Hell! ;)

Nothing yet, argh! *head pat* So how did the synopsis turn out?

I am on day 5 and already my nails are gone. After last time I am a nervous wreck! I had to wait 3 months for a "meh"

GOOD LUCK on the anthology!!!! I have been tempted to go back to subbing novellas at my epubs just to feel like I'm getting somewhere! LOL

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
So, talked to The Editor yesterday, and she's not sold on the premise of book 2. (I knew it might be an issue, I haven't been super sold on it myself, despite the fact that I went ahead and wrote most of it).

So now I'm back to square one, brainstorming ideas and seeing how much I can salvage. *sigh* I know, in a day or two, this is going to be fine and I'll be excited again, but right now I'm frustrated and discouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.