Astro Newbie

AstroFolio

I am not a fish.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Joined AW yesterday/today (wow, my memory's terrible lately) and trying to learn how to navigate it. I've met some really nice people and heard helpful advice already, so thanks.

As I said, having some trouble getting around the site/getting used to the search function (I used Google to find the 'New Members' section.) I've been on one forums site before but not like this.

A little about me:
- I live in Ireland

- I'm currently working on the 3rd Draft/editing a YA spec fic, and the first draft of a new one in the same genre, although I do plan to do an urban fantasy or YA contemp in the future.

- I'm 15.

- I'm interested in reading, writing and science.

- I run a book reviewing blog, which is a lot of fun. Plus I get to talk to authors on Twitter when they read my reviews!

- I started my first novel in late May/June last year, so almost exactly a year ago, and finished its first draft on August 27th.

- I overwrite a TON on first drafts. Between the first and midway-through-third draft, I cut 24,000 words off a WIP (from 100,000 to 76,000).

- The critiques here are awesome and really generous ... but also pretty terrifying. I'll need betas for the first WIP at some point but ... *hides*

- I will at some point learn how to put those cool footer things in at the bottom of posts and edit my profile. Someday.

- I've probably made a horrifically embarrassing typo here, but I have enough proofreading to do already xD

So ... yeah. Hey!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
Hey welcome! And haha, I tend to overwrite a lot in my first drafts as well (one draft was 136k before I cut it down to 87k) so I totally get where you're coming from...

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. The critiques here can be pretty brutal, but they help, especially if you get a good beta reader.

AuthorUnknown

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

You're a sculpture, I'm a painter. My first draft went from 56k words to now 85k, will probably end around 95kish.

AstroFolio

I am not a fish.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I like the sculptor/painter thing, AuthorUnknown. I think the problem was that I was totally pantsing it... Oh well. Heavy revision is probably character-building (pun not intended).

MynaOphelia - that is a LOT, wow.

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Astro :welcome: It does take a bit to find your way around here. Keep checking the User CP in the upper left corner to find posts that you've written in. Glad you're here!

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
don't be afraid to click on stuff. you can always back out if that's not what you wanted. I was the same way a little over a month ago. now I frequently threaten to flay people and eat their brains. fun!

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Love the ambition and the work ethic, especially from one so young.