Simultaneous Submissions for Competing Markets

benbencaro

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all! I’ve got a question. Most advice is to avoid submitting the same query to competing markets, just to be safe. However, I’m fairly new, so I’m not sure what constitutes competing markets. Is it region, content, style? For instance, what about a regional magazine vs. a national magazine about the same subject? Are those magazines truly competing?

Also, I wonder how long a writer should wait before submitting the query again in the same market? Thanks!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I wonder how long a writer should wait before submitting the query again in the same market? Thanks!

If a market has rejected a query, you'd never submit the same query again unless the market has gone through a significant change leading you to believe the reasons for their rejection no longer apply.

In general, regional and national presses are not in direct competition. However, consider their pay scales. I'd await a rejection from higher paying markets before subbing to lower paying ones.

Competing markets are markets that have the same audience or focus. For example: Time and Newsweek. Most readers may prefer one over the other, but they are in competition for the news reader market share.