Pseudonym = Alias?

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
A few minutes ago, there was a story on WBAL radio's site about new accusation, which are serious and very damaging -- I won't repeat them. But the article is no longer online.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
HIPAA scares folks, because the fines are enormous at a minimum. I received a personal letter from our governor over a HIPAA issue I raised with one local government department. So I'm not surprised at this case being a tough one to report on/make statements about.

The NSA needs something like that ;)

Last edited:

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Thanks, Plot Device -- I'll do some more looking into what the Maryland laws are.

I'm going to have a conversation with a relative who is an attorney and who is from that area to see if she has any suggestions about how to help/find out the truth, etc.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Personally, I think people should slow down and stop sticking their nose into this guy's business and life.

Because what it looks like to me is that the guy may have been in need of some serious help. And a bunch of busybodies jumped on the initial reports--which possibly included some bone-headed statements--and ran with the whole thing.

I don't want to know any more facts about this case until McLaw or his representatives want to make those facts known. The guy deserves some privacy here. He doesn't need internet activists waging a war on his behalf when such a war may be misguided at best, harmful at worst.

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
The reason I don't give a shit about the poor misunderstood police having their poor feelings hurt is because

1) innocent until proven guilty

2) he's just one man up against the whole vast inhuman machinery of The System

3) innocent until proven guilty

I never give a shit about any situation in life where the ones with ALL the power get mercilessly scrutinized in how they wield it. I never will.

Interestingly, I never said a word about protecting the police or their feelings. And I certainly never said I believed anyone was guilty of anything or that I don't believe in the principle of Innocent Until Proven Guilty; I do believe in it, very much.

I just tend to believe it applies to everyone. Scrutiny is a good thing, and the authorities should absolutely be scrutinized. I simply think there's a difference between scrutinizing and rushing to condemn.

I hear about this supposed letter and I'm not buying it. If he's been detained for writing a scary letter, then would the headline not be "Teacher detained for writing scary letter"? Writing these books are not illegal and do not merit such action. So either it's true and the reason this guy is being detained is due to his books, or the media has latched onto something incidental to the investigation.

Either way, it is dreadful.

Why would the headline not be "Teacher detained for writing scary letter?" Because a story with that title isn't clickbait, and doesn't give everyone a chance to get all angry and upset.

Believing the media is full of noble people with scruples who only want to help the innocent is, IMO, as naive as believing false arrests never happen and civil rights are never violated.

If he is sitting in a cell solely because of the book, it is a horrible, shameful thing.

That's a big "If." There could be other details that we do not know/have not been made public.

Personally, I think it's dangerous to jump on these kinds of bandwagons with incomplete info. And I think the piece at the Atlantic is awful, is totally lacking any serious investigatory elements, is simply poor journalism. So I wouldn't sign the petition right now, not until more details are available.

Agreed re the Atlantic piece (and the danger of bandwagon-jumping without facts). What a shoddy piece of work that is, turning rumor into canon in the most calculated and inflammatory way possible. It pays slight lip service to the fact that the writer has confirmed no facts and that there is no solid proof that McLaw was arrested solely for writing books, but then ignores that lack completely in favor of outraged ranting and deliberate bias.

Thanks for the updated article.

I suppose that's... comforting. But if that's the case, I'd rather they'd never mentioned the books in the first place. I can't really tell who's to blame. The articles say that the Sheriff mentioned them, but then they all go off saying that's what caught authorities attention, even though no one's really quoted as saying such.

His attorney seems to be okay with all of this... :Shrug:

I noticed that, as well. None of the articles actually quote any LEO as saying the books are what set off the investigation (they may have said or implied it, but again, no direct quote, so unless someone has audio or video we'll never know for sure). The writers of the articles say they did, but there's no direct quote--it appears that all of the later articles from other sources simply took that statement from the original reporter ("The books are what caught the attention of police and school board officials in Dorchester County") as fact, and passed it on themselves without investigation. (The Star Democrat then used that line as the springboard to say, "WBOC has reported that the investigation concerns two books published by McLaw," when in fact that's not what the WBOC story said; it merely said the books were what caught the attention of the authorities, and again, none of that comes in the form of a direct quote or statement regarding what started the investigation.)

It's interesting that the Atlantic writer mentions how none of the reporters mentioned the First Amendment or civil rights, and how odd it is for a reporter uncovering a case of a serious First Amendment/civil rights violation would choose not to bring up that point, but never really wonders why that might be beyond shrugging and assuming it's because they are all credulous morons (unlike him, who put serious time into researching his piece, reading a whole couple of other articles and placing a fruitless phone call) who probably gave the police head after the press conference.

But then, he also mentions more than once how shameful it is that the police and especially those original reporters failed to make clear whether or not McLaw was under arrest, using that as another example (along with the First Amendment thing) of what gullible cop-loving fools they are. This despite the fact that WBOC reported, in its original story, that "McLaw has not been arrested or charged with any crime at this time, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office." So much for research!

Honestly, although people seem often very quick to blow off what "the locals say," in comments on the news stories, this is far from the first time I've seen them shortly thereafter revealed as the truth.

Also, the front line employees at large agencies, whether schools, police departments, whatever, are not allowed to speak- try it and you'd be quite swiftly fired. But anyone else can say anything they want to the media, true or false.

This often presents very skewed ideas to the public. I'm wondering why these large entities, who obviously have legal/PR departments controlling what's said and what's not said, don't come up with a blanket statement reminding the public of these simple facts. Wouldn't that go a long way toward stopping the skewed reports? Do they really not care at all what public opinion of them is? Just wondering...

You'd think they would do that, wouldn't you? I've always wondered that myself. But I guess they figure people already are aware of that?

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I don't know the facts and it doesn't matter to me. If this guy does need legal funds or treatment funds or anything, I doubt he can afford it on a teacher's (especially since he's been let go) salary. I'll let you know what I find out.

ETA: Here is Maryland's involuntary commitment law: http://dhmh.maryland.gov/yourrights/docs/pbor.pdf

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Thanks for the link, Bob --

I am deeply concerned that his attorney does not seem to think that mental health issues are involved in civil rights. Of course that may be the LA Times reporter's interpretation and not the whole story.

I shall let you know what else I find out.

Sorry, Karen, but I'm not sure what part of the article you're referring to here? I didn't see anything about mental health issues being involved somehow with civil rights, or anything at all about civil rights.

It is possible for someone to be committed for treatment involuntarily without violating their civil rights. Often the people most in need of treatment either refuse to see or accept that they need help or are incapable of understanding enough to give consent. It's the same principle, essentially, that allows doctors to treat coma patients (who are by definition unable to give consent), or that allows parents to give consent for their children.

If the only people given mental health treatment were those capable of full informed consent, there would be a lot of very ill people suffering (a lot more than there are, rather). IMO it's better to commit someone in the throes of mental illness/in the middle of a breakdown than to leave them to starve or harm themselves or others; we shouldn't abandon people who are suffering because they're not able to ask for the help they need.

ETA: Ha, I see Karen posted a link while I was typing. :)

Something just occurred to me, though; do we actually know that McLaw was hospitalized involuntarily? I kind of wonder if we aren't assuming he was dragged kicking and screaming, when in fact he could have been quite happy to be offered help. (If there was a source that said it was involuntary, then disregard, of course.)

Maybe my interpretation is wrong, but I think that reading between the lines of all the quotes has the poor man being treated for mental health issues as an inpatient for a while.

If so, good for him for getting help! And privacy would be nice, I'd imagine.

I could totally be wrong, though. That's the thing. There's so much we don't know yet. And that's OK, imho.

That's how it seems to me, too. And I agree, if he needs help, it's excellent that he's getting it. I hope that is the case.

I don't know the facts and it doesn't matter to me. If this guy does need legal funds or treatment funds or anything, I doubt he can afford it on a teacher's (especially since he's been let go) salary. I'll let you know what I find out.

He hasn't been let go. He's been placed on administrative leave; there should be no loss of insurance or benefits. Depending on the district's policies, he's quite possibly still being paid. It's quite possible, too, that he has help with his legal expenses through the NEA; they have some pretty amazing benefits for their members.

Last edited:

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
First off, I was wrong about the item from The Atlantic. I mis-remembered my news articles. It wasn't the item in The Atlantic that I liked so much. It was The Daily Kos article entitled "What I Didn't See At First About the MD School Teacher/Sci-Fi Writer," that I admired.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...See-At-First-MD-School-Teacher-Fiction-Writer

I liked the piece from TDK because it said exactly what I had been thinking: there's so much NOT being said here. That news piece kept going back again and again to my assertion that the authorities kept offering nothing else other than the books as grounds for their suspicions of Mr. McLaw. And that TDK piece ended with a deliberate insinuation in its closing few lines. The insinuation was kept intentionally unnamed, but meant as an entirely visual "hint" --via closing with a professional studio portrait photo of McLaw-- that racism was underlying all of this. (And making a pun out of the article's title.) I didn't feel that such a "hint" was irresponsible of TDK. Instead I saw it as a hefty and very rightful nudge on the part of the Fourth Estate that the authorities need to get serious about being more transparent with the public as to the REAL reasons they took that man into custody. Because the longer the authorities remain silent, the more suspicions of unjust behavior will fly.

As for the whole "poor misunderstood cop" thing, Stacia, I'm sorry for being so harsh. I felt like my priority for a guy's civil liberties were being pitted against your priority for not wanting to rush to judgement. And in a sense, they are the same two priorities. I just believed mine was more important than yours. Sorry again for being sarcastic.

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
We don't know if he was voluntarily or involuntarily or even if he is in a mental health facility. So that was my concern for his rights -- and I agree with you, Stacia.

If he is being held somewhere for criminal reasons, that should be public record. If it's mental health, then it's sealed. So that may be why reporters aren't getting much information out there.

And thanks, also, Stacia -- I mis-remembered his employment status -- I do hope he is getting any help he needs.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
From Baltimore:

(WARNING! AUTO-PLAY VIDEO; you might want to mute your computer before clicking. The reporter basically just reads the exact story written below the video, in kind of an odd Shatner-like cadence, so you're not missing anything if you keep it muted.)

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/featur...orchester-co-teacher-31386.shtml#.VAZn9fldXgU

From the story:

Then a former teacher came forward, with a claim that she was being harassed. The former teacher told investigators she felt as if she was a character in one of his books that was killed off. The allegations against McLaw did not stop there --- next he was accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a 16-year-old.

Then McLaw handed a letter, dated July 4, to a deputy administrator, stating it was his resignation, farewell address and memoir. That’s when health officials, and law enforcement, stepped in.

So...yeah, maybe not quite the poor innocent those initial reporters would have us believe. IF it's true that he did in fact harass a female teacher and have an inappropriate relationship with a teenager, then I'm even angrier at those irresponsible reporters. By basically reporting that this man was the innocent victim of moronic goons who didn't understand the concept of fiction, they led good people to support a child molester who stalks women.

Again, IF he did indeed have such a relationship/stalk the teacher. I haven't seen that reported anywhere else, so grain of salt.

First off, I was wrong about the item from The Atlantic. I mis-remembered my news articles. It wasn't the item in The Atlantic that I liked so much. It was The Daily Kos article entitled "What I Didn't See At First About the MD School Teacher/Sci-Fi Writer," that I admired.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...See-At-First-MD-School-Teacher-Fiction-Writer

I liked the piece from TDK because it said exactly what I had been thinking: there's so much NOT being said here. That news piece kept going back again and again to my assertion that the authorities kept offering nothing else other than the books as grounds for their suspicions of Mr. McLaw. And that TDK piece ended with a deliberate insinuation in its closing few lines. The insinuation was kept intentionally unnamed, but meant as an entirely visual "hint" --via closing with a professional studio portrait photo of McLaw-- that racism was underlying all of this. (And making a pun out of the article's title.) I didn't feel that such a "hint" was irresponsible of TDK. Instead I saw it as a hefty and very rightful nudge on the part of the Fourth Estate that the authorities need to get serious about being more transparent with the public as to the REAL reasons they took that man into custody. Because the longer the authorities remain silent, the more suspicions of unjust behavior will fly.

That is a better article than the Atlantic piece. :)

As for the whole "poor misunderstood cop" thing, Stacia, I'm sorry for being so harsh. I felt like my priority for a guy's civil liberties were being pitted against your priority for not wanting to rush to judgement. And in a sense, they are the same two priorities. I just believed mine was more important than yours. Sorry again for being sarcastic.

No worries. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
If he is a stalker/molester then he may play up the mentally ill angle in his defense. So all info would be sealed (if he is in a mental facility).

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That Fox Baltimore link in Stacia's post also says, "A Dorchester County teacher who penned two futuristic fiction novels has been committed, and is under investigation by police."

This article gives a lot of other info:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-threatening-teacher-20140902,0,7721950,full.story
An Eastern Shore teacher was put on leave and taken for medical evaluation after authorities grew concerned about his writings — including a novel about a school shooting and a letter with "suicidal undertones" — and a model he constructed at his home of a school building.
McLaw was put on leave with pay from his job as a language arts teacher at Mace's Lane Middle School in Cambridge before the school year began last week, Dorchester County school officials said.
Maciarello said law enforcement agencies began investigating McLaw on Aug. 15 after a teacher at the middle school he attended complained to police that he visited her frequently, called her "Mother" and named a character in his book after her. The character is among those killed in the fictional massacre, Maciarello said.
Wicomico officials, working with their counterparts in other jurisdictions, learned that a deputy administrator with Dorchester County schools had received a four-page letter that contained what Maciarello called "a suicidal undertone."
The letter-writer identified himself as McLaw, "AKA Dr. K.S. Voltaer," Maciarello said, and warned that it could "be the last time you hear from me."
"Consider it my memoir. Consider it my farewell address. Consider it my resignation. Consider it what you will, but I just want someone to listen to me," Maciarello said, reading an excerpt from the letter.
The writer wrote of a teacher who had made complaints about him, Maciarello said.
Maciarello said the county's health officer thought the letter raised enough concerns that McLaw should be evaluated. Health and law enforcement personnel went to McLaw's residence two weeks ago, Maciarello said, and found him "cooperative."
They received consent to a limited search, Maciarello said, and "found a couple of other things" that caused concern. They included writing that referred to an "execution." Maciarello described it as three or four paragraphs written as "a letter to Antichrist from Antichrist's servant."
McLaw was taken to Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury for evaluation and appeared last week before an administrative judge, Maciarello said. He said privacy laws prevented him from giving further details.
He and other officials stressed that McLaw is not being held by police....

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...eacher-20140902,0,6499675.story#ixzz3CDUzm7Zh

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I think I mentioned I tried to file a complaint with the AP over the original article on WBOC 16 and was laughed at by the AP guy.

I'm very sorry if this man is a criminal (and mentally ill, or not). I'm one of those people who still believes in due process -- and that even a criminal may have civil rights -- but in any case, this man's story has been mishandled seriously by reporters.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
After reading that article:

The lawyer could probably have made it more clear earlier that he had no complaints about why McLaw was being held and how the wheels of justice were turning on that. He wouldn't have had to admit anything on behalf of his client to make that a bit more clear, imho. At least he's doing it overtly now, so that's good.

And I'm glad he's publicly questioning how the story got legs. Unless one of the police leaks was misinformed, it looks like the media should be held responsible. It makes me angry. I'm sure the man didn't need this nationwide attention on top of everything else he's facing at the moment!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Did you read the second one, where they interviewed McLaw and he says it's all a big mistake?

No, that wasn't there yet. But I'm not surprised, exactly. It was apparently an involuntary commitment, then. There are legal checks and balances in place, and he has a lawyer, so he has recourse if he thinks it's just a mistake. Oftentimes, though, people who need some help think that there's no problem at all, so.... hmmm. That's between him and his therapists, lawyer and the judge, though. We have no way of knowing how much he needs to be in there or not, because those kinds of details are quite private, as they definitely should be. I wish him well.