Corporal Punishment in Schools

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, not my cup of tea. And yet, that doesn't contradict my statement unless you're claiming that more people are aroused by beatings, and to be clear, I didn't use the the word spanking, than not. Again, I wasn't commenting on my personal views but rather what I perceive the mindset to be that is against hugs but for corporal punishment.

Though I think a lot of people compartmentalize a lot and justify spanking children on the basis that it ostensibly isn't sexually motivated (in reality...well, it depends. I don't think most parents who spank are aroused by it, but I'd be more skeptical of teachers. Especially teachers who spank teenagers). But mild spanking and flogging are very common kinks. Even a lot of people who aren't otherwise that into kink enjoy a little bit of spanking in a sexual context.

"Beatings" implies something more severe, but I don't think that's really relevant here.

Emilander

Banned
Reaction score
Though I think a lot of people compartmentalize a lot and justify spanking children on the basis that it ostensibly isn't sexually motivated (in reality...well, it depends. I don't think most parents who spank are aroused by it, but I'd be more skeptical of teachers. Especially teachers who spank teenagers). But mild spanking and flogging are very common kinks. Even a lot of people who aren't otherwise that into kink enjoy a little bit of spanking in a sexual context.

"Beatings" implies something more severe, but I don't think that's really relevant here.

I agree that spanking is a common kink. But, unless I'm mistaken, the letter in the OP just says corporal punishment. That can be any number of things, not necessarily spanking. And spanking is generally limited to hitting the backside, whereas corporal punishment can involve hitting the child just about anywhere. So for me, as evocative as it is, beating fits better than spanking.

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that spanking is a common kink. But, unless I'm mistaken, the letter in the OP just says corporal punishment. That can be any number of things, not necessarily spanking. And spanking is generally limited to hitting the backside, whereas corporal punishment can involve hitting the child just about anywhere. So for me, as evocative as it is, beating fits better than spanking.

"Corporal punishment" usually refers to spanking when talking about American schools, though.

And actually, if they meant something else, I'd be even more concerned. Though I don't agree with spanking, at least mild spanking is fairly unlikely to cause physical injury. Hitting a child elsewhere might put them at greater risk of injury. Other types of punishment, such as stress positions, are sometimes used in other countries and can also cause real physical harm to children.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
This is an awesome thing. What better way to have the schools continue raising your kids for you then to have strangers beat the shit out of them too. I only worry that the over-worked, under-paid, stressed teachers won't beat them enough.

Just in case: :sarcasm
I'm against corporal punishment in schools too, but corporal is not "beating the shit out of" someone. I say this as someone who used to earn her living taking corporal.

The weirdest thing, IMO, is that a form not being returned is taken as consent to corporal.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
The weirdest thing, IMO, is that a form not being returned is taken as consent to corporal.
This. You'd think the default would be not to hit the kid and that you'd opt in, not that the default is they hit the kids unless you explicitly tell them not to.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I was subjected to corporal punishment when I went to school in Scotland and it was my preferred form of punishment. Hurt like hell, but it was over with quickly and then I would go on with my naughty ways. It actually became a form of bravado among the kids - who could take two/four/six of the belt without so much as blinking an eye. Hard to hold a pencil afterwards, but you could sure hold your head up among your peers. Tough school, LOL.

Then there were the weirdos like that maths teacher who flirted coyly with the boys, but would belt a girl for dropping a pencil. His nickname was Big Daddy. Ugh. Funny how gross it all seems now, but it was pretty normal back then. Teachers didn't usually beat you as hard as the parents did, and the teachers were at least restricted to belting hands. Then the EU banned corporal punishment. The great teachers were still great. The sucky ones still sucked. And I was still a disobedient brat.

Interesting that the girls were paddled too (though not surprising some teachers got their jollies from doing this--ew) and took as much macho pride in it as the boys did. I had one friend who got a swat for being late to class (she chose it over detention) and was proud of it. There was some of the wanting to prove you could be as tough as the boys going on by then.

It's an interesting fact that for a long time, corporal punishment (caning, strapping etc.) was even more institutionalized in the UK even than here in the states, but it has changed so quickly within just one generation.

Though there is a generation of older men on whom it has left an indelible mark. They actually have "caning clubs" in the UK that seem to be popular with men from the last generation to be caned in school.

Years ago, I remember Hearing an British MP (who had a high, fluting voice) describing a new law in the UK that forbade parents from hitting their kids with anything save an open hand (not a belt, hairbrush or slipper). I'll admit, I had an attack of the giggles at the thought of spanking someone with a slipper. I wish my dad had used a slipper on me when I was a kid. Would have hurt a lot less than his open hand.

But here in the US, even though we lack the "public school" (I know in the UK, these were actually private schools, like Eton) tradition of caning ala Tom Brown's School Days, we cling to paddling etc. in some areas in the publicly funded schools, especially the South.

Even a lot of people who aren't otherwise that into kink enjoy a little bit of spanking in a sexual context.

True, and I wonder if anyone has ever studied whether or not being corporeally punished as a child, or being a product of a culture where it's enshrined, affects one's attraction to the game as an adult. Not knocking consenting adults who want to do these things, but I wonder if the same underlying desires might manifest differently in other situations.

Last edited:

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Interesting idea, Roxxsmom. If true, I guess that would mean the effect of corporal punishment is to make young people more angry and defiant and to direct their sex lives. I dunno, is that the planned, desired result?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
While I'd never tell another parent what to do vis-a-vis disciplining their own children i.e. spanking, a smack on the hand or a swat to the face, it's a different matter when the school is allowed to beat the shit out of your child if they choose.

What bothers me is the consent form and the implied acceptance of the agreement should it not be turned in. I can just see a teacher going too far and hospitalizing or even killing a kid for acting up in class. Far-fetched? It could happen.

In my day--this is going back forty-some years--the teachers occasionally hit the kids who were acting up and the principal in my grade school had no problem using the belt.

I live in Japan now, and corporal punishment is quite commonly used and accepted. Baseball, volleyball, and judo clubs often employ it to get the student/athlete to perform better. Fear is a great motivator. I don't agree with it, but that's how it is over here.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about this thread during work. What it would be like to spank one of my students. Couldn't do anything with it. It is unimaginable. Just as likely as me throwing a student out of the window, in a fit of rage.

And given the size of some of the boys, there's a good chance they'd turn the situation around and spank me.

I usually get by with smiles, jokes, empathy and sometimes a stern face. In my experience, the minute you lose your temper, you lose your students.

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
Leaving out my opinion on spanking, I say corporal punishment in schools should be banned in all states. I do NOT even understand how anyone thinks it's acceptable to go smacking someone else's kid. If it happened to mine, you can skip right over the lawsuit to jail, because someone is getting knocked on their ass in return. And I don't even come CLOSE to caring about rebuttals that point out "violence isn't the answer" or "that sets a bad example."

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
To the OP, I absolutely think the idea of corporal punishment in schools is horrific. As others have mentioned, equally horrific is the automatic opt-in if you don't return the consent form. I wouldn't appreciate it if my sister were babysitting my daughter and decided a spanking was in order. Even if I did think spanking her was a good idea, I would never allow anyone else to do so. Ever.

As others have mentioned, there are many other forms of punishment, and I've noticed they DO work better. My daughter's biomom spanks her, yet, our daughter talks back and argues with her mom. My husband and I resort to other, more creative forms of punishment when needed, and we follow through, and guess what? Our daughter for the most part listens and very rarely talks back.

This isn't to say I would tell anyone to not spank their child. I was spanked, and I think I turned out okay. I never felt any ill will toward my parents later from it. It was more humiliating than anything. Especially when I was 10, and my mother was pulling down my pants to spank my bare bottom.

That's kinda gross.

Maybe that's part of the reason I don't talk to her...

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
True, and I wonder if anyone has ever studied whether or not being corporeally punished as a child, or being a product of a culture where it's enshrined, affects one's attraction to the game as an adult. Not knocking consenting adults who want to do these things, but I wonder if the same underlying desires might manifest differently in other situations.

It would be interesting to know if any studies have been done (and if there haven't been studies, I think it would be good to do one). Like I've said, my experience suggests that it's not hard to find people who claim that childhood spankings influenced their kink. But whether those claims are true, or whether the spankings actually caused the kink, is difficult to know.

Personally, I was never spanked but finding spanking erotic seems pretty hard-wired into my brain. But I do think that culture and personal experiences can influence people.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that this spanking tangent (about sexual kinks) is really on the point of the OP. I'd like to steer it back that way, folks, please and thank you.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
My parents were given a form like that once. The response was, "Um, no?" Yeah, they didn't sign it, and had Things to say to the school board. I didn't stay there long.

*lives in the South*