The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn Schaefer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Dawn---we didn't submit a synopsis for a sequel. And I know Vee didn't come up with a synopsis until multiple editors were vying to acquire her first novel. So I don't think it has to be part of the submission package (though I think it's not a bad idea, especially if your book on sub is a planned series!)

I meant for intersted editors. Not initial sub.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
This happened to my friend. The agent came back and said the editor asked if this could be a series. Agent asked writer who said, "I never thought about it." Agent said, "If you can write up a synopsis for book 2 and 3, we could get more $, selling it as a trilogy."

So she wrote the synopses and 2 week later, the trilogy sold for 750k.

Yeah...I'd get on that Rosie....

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I've never written a series before, but my WIP is the first in a possible trilogy. This convo inspired me to (procrastinate from writing) think about potential story arcs for Book 2 and 3...and I came up with some ideas I love! Yay!

And now...I should probably actually write WIP...one step at a time, Tracy, one step at a time. ;-)

Cloud Eight

Registered
Reaction score
This happened to my friend. The agent came back and said the editor asked if this could be a series. Agent asked writer who said, "I never thought about it." Agent said, "If you can write up a synopsis for book 2 and 3, we could get more $, selling it as a trilogy."

So she wrote the synopses and 2 week later, the trilogy sold for 750k.

Yeah...I'd get on that Rosie....

Oh yeah. Wow.

Dawn Schaefer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, gotcha. I thought you meant putting the synopsis in with the initial sub package (which a lot of people do as well).

Rosie--sounds really, really good! Best wishes for you! ;)

Sorry, I'm not thinking clearly at the moment, didn't phrase it correctly.

BTW, commented on WN for you.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not even thinking about anything but book 1 now lest I get ahead of myself in awful, awful ways :(

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not even thinking about anything but book 1 now lest I get ahead of myself in awful, awful ways :(

THIS!! Selling ONE book is hard enough. I have a saying, (which comes from experience, and has got me through this crazy train so far)..."It'll all come to nothin'." Everything else is gravy.

Cloud Eight

Registered
Reaction score
THIS!! Selling ONE book is hard enough. I have a saying, (which comes from experience, and has got me through this crazy train so far)..."It'll all come to nothin'." Everything else is gravy.

But Thanksgiving's coming. And gravy's on the menu.....
icon10.gif

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I have a saying, (which comes from experience, and has got me through this crazy train so far)..."It'll all come to nothin'."
Oh, the irony. The closer we get to success, the truer that cruel little admonition seems.

Changes underway now on the graphic novel presentation. Will there be a third trip back to the drawing board? A fourth, a fifth? Hey, a fifth -- that reminds me, I'm sure I've got a bottle of vodka around here somewhere . . .

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com

I bent Murphy's Law: If something can go wrong, it's already happened, and we're just too stupid/stubborn to realize it.

Tri

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I imagine this will be a crickety kind of week, what with the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday eating the week, from Wednesday on.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Man, I just can't do a synopsis before I start writing. I have a hard enough time doing up an outline for myself to follow (I usually don't). Those darn characters have a habit of doing what they want to do, regardless of where I try to take them.

Love your version of Murphy's Law, tri!

Still waiting on news. Maybe Tuesday will be the new Friday.

Kristoff

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

Officially on sub now, so I thought I'd drop in and soak up the hell-vibe. :)

Congrats to the folks with good news!

Last edited:

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! (I think...)

Can't tell -- is hell heating up, or cooling down?

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Welcome, Kristoff. Or are condolences more appropriate? A box of chocolates? Probably straight booze served by Muppets and accompanied by bottled water since you haven't had the pleasure of running water installed yet (see his query - freaking hysterical). Can you tell I've been on sub a while? Yeah, my sense of humor is just fragile. I have to nick others' jokes. Ah well.

Pull up a seat and enjoy the randomness and general good will of others suffering a variety of hellaciousness.

MadDabbler

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kristoff! Welcome to the next level of torture!!!! It's great here--woo-hoo.

Love the query and the blog! Freakin' hilarious. Your novel sounds awesome--can't wait to read it. But please don't let Matt send it to the imprint who are nibbling at mine! They'll bump mine for yours in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I imagine this will be a crickety kind of week, what with the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday eating the week, from Wednesday on.

Just read on an agent blog that many editors are taking Monday and Tuesday off, so yeah, crickets. Let's just hope they're spending all their free time reading.

Read, little editor, read.

Is it wrong to hope they all get trapped in an airport unable to fly out due to snow with nothing but my novel on their kindles?

And all of your novels too, of course. Though I suspect I don't have any submission mates on this thread --- but your editors are welcome to fly through my Holiday Airport of Doom as well.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Jay -- love the blog. And I'm sure we hellions would agree that "Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to representation."

Status
Not open for further replies.