The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
We had veritable hordes of fifth- or sixth-grade trick-or-treaters trucked in from somewhere. One of them asked my husband what town this was -- a sign he wasn't from next door.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, YA! Great news!

So far, we've had three kids come to the door. The same three that come every year.

We shall see who else makes it.

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
NANOWRIMO!!!! Can't believe it starts in less than two hours! I am almost finished my "boring" writing work, and getting excited about starting a new project. Yay!

cspradbery

Best before 1998
Registered
Reaction score
Annnnnd, agent loves it!! She said it was the best thing I've written so far!!

I cried when she emailed that earlier. Said she didn't want to make me wait a minute longer to hear back.

Wow, that's just amazing! I bet you're soaring right now.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Congrats Lee! That's awesome!!! So proud of you! Course, I loved the one I beta read way back,but glad to hear you're moving on up to the East Side! LOL

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Second agent passed on project. She just didn't connect with my MC. I'm going to sign with first agent who offered. It's a good/great thing we clicked so well.

I also received feedback from a small publisher today and it was wonderfully constructive and also means that if the ms needs that much work, I can assume large house is going to pass. So it's a two-doughnut day. One to commiserate, one to celebrate. <sighs>

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Yay Mad! Congrats on making up your mind (or having it made up, heehee). But don't write off the big guy just because the little one didn't like it -- everyone has different needs and opinions.

MadDabbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Hey Kell! Yeah, sort of forced my hand on having the decision made. Hmm...the first one or, well, the first one? <smiles> But that's okay. We really did get along well. I just hope it works out.

I'm sort of convinced the small guy was right: there are a couple of holes that need to be fixed in the story that I see now that they were pointed out. I mean, seriously, just how did I miss them? <pounds head on desk> But maybe if a small guy was willing to take the time to invest their limited resources in the revisions, the larger guys will be too. So I won't give up just yet.

Thanks for your "Yay!"

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Second agent passed on project. She just didn't connect with my MC. I'm going to sign with first agent who offered. It's a good/great thing we clicked so well.

I also received feedback from a small publisher today and it was wonderfully constructive and also means that if the ms needs that much work, I can assume large house is going to pass. So it's a two-doughnut day. One to commiserate, one to celebrate. <sighs>
Doughnuts . . . what can't they do?

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there harbingers of success! Wondering if one of you might lend your expertise on a matter of editor/author relations.

Basically, my superagent sent my MS to an editor at Harper Collins, who in turn expressed interest. She said that she liked it, but wanted the week to finish it. This was over three weeks ago. My agent emailed her last week to check in and says that he expects to hear back any time now...but we haven't. Do you guys think that, since she has yet to get back, it might signify her lack of interest? Or am I being hasty?

Thank you!

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
No news is no news, tutter. Sucks, doesn't it?

It could mean anything.

Cloud Eight

Registered
Reaction score
YA, congrats on the agent-love for your newest. Definitely worth a happy cry.

Mad, getting constructive feedback before your ms is shopped to the biggies sounds pretty useful. Still, sorry to hear about the pub and agent passes. But congrats on the offer!

tutter, the wait probably signifies that editor timelines exist in some alternate universe. Hang in there.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Mad, getting constructive feedback before your ms is shopped to the biggies sounds pretty useful. Still, sorry to hear about the pub and agent passes. But congrats on the offer!

Good point, Cloud Eight! MadDabbler, you have a chance to revise before you hit the rest of the publishers. Excellent news all around.

MadDabbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
<snort> I love the dancing banana.

Yep, I'm going to do a major rewrite and just save it as a different file. Some of the suggestions I'm not even sure how to incorporate, so we'll see what agent woman says. I'm going to cling to the limb of hope and beseech the gods of publishing to have the editor at the big house who requested turn a blind eye to the amount of work it may need. May he only see the potential!

MadDabbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
tutter, I'll pitch in but keep in mind my experience comes from direct queries and not agent submissions. I want to preface my repsonse clearly.

In my limited experience, agents/editors/publishers get bogged down significantly with daily business that they never seem to expect to pop up but that often does. I can't tell you how many e-mails I got that said, "Sorry, I meant to get back to you before but..." So don't throw in the towel yet. Hopefully your agent will continue to follow up regularly and keep you apprised of any response. Hopefully your agent will offer you some moral support while you're both waiting (that's what I'm hoping for from mine).

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Know the feeling. My Canadian agent sent me a cryptic email on the weekend telling me to hang in until Monday.

It's Monday ...

Sometimes I think agents (and editors) have a different understanding of time. A few days can be a week, a month, several months, or even never.

Sigh.

On a different note, courtesy of J.N. Duncan, I have posted some egs. of very funny rejected rejection letters on my blog, i.e. letters from authors to agents after being turned down. They made me laugh; hope they'll lift your spirits too.

Status
Not open for further replies.