The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
((inkspatters)) Oh boy, me too girl. I think we all feel like that, but eventually it only takes one yes. Don't give up :)

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, Hedgetrimmer, it is an exceedingly cautious business these days. I had a response from an editor indicating that they didn't want to commit to a series, even though they liked the book.

Last edited:

Mel A.

settling in with my red pen . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Peggy, it's sad to see that even triple "love" can't close the deal. *sigh* Better luck with the next one!

Kellion, glad to be revising with you! How's yours going?

Everybody, I wanted to get some opinions on a title question. (Deciding on a title is way more angst-causing for me than writing the book!) Would you buy/read a book if the title were a foreign word or a word you couldn't pronounce or didn't recognize? Would it be intriguing or off-putting? Would your answer be different if you were a teenager?

I have a cool one-word title that sums up the main conflict so nicely, but it's a Greek word (from Scripture, actually, even though the book is NOT a religious work), but I'm afraid of sticking it on there when I send the draft to the agent. She'll guide me on titles, I know, but I don't want my first crack at it to seem utterly ridiculous.

Any opinions would be appreciated. :)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Damn, Peggy, that's hard darts. Kind of makes you wonder why they're reading submssions in the first place if not to discover a thrilling new book and author. I don't understand the reasoning here. But I will admit that with the number of purgies that have been on submission in the last two years, I'll bet at least half of them would have been published by now had the economy not taken the downturn that it has. There's a hell of lot of wonderful books here that are getting the GD snub.

I have a thriller out there now that got 4.5 agent offers. I never received so much kudos from the ones who rejected it, or referrals in my life. I knew I was on to something, having written the three best characters in my life. It's so commercial to the female/male audience it stinks. I would have thought I'd raise an eyebrow on the first round. Zip. Unfu..king believeable. What the heck else could it be other than editors cinching their belts and looking for that gigantic breakout?

BTW, Peggy, be very careful about quoting an editor response. Agents really frown on that and many have a privacy statement at the bottom of their contact emails. Just saying...

Tri

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Mel - You can rep me the word too, if you want!:)

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Mel, rep me too please! But I'm thinking a Greek word would be OK because they are cool sounding.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind foreign words in titles, and I'm a teenager. But you *may* have to take that with a grain of salt because I'm a total Latin nerd, who really, really wants to learn ancient Greek and Sanskrit. I have a thing for dead languages, lol.

But you can rep it to me, too :)

And thanks for the support everyone -- what I love about Hell is that I can angst in here occasionally without feeling *too* guilty about whining (I still feel kinda guilty, haha) *hugs thread*

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Whine away. Or descend to the Pit of Doom where whining is actively encouraged and no one will try to get you to look on the bright side.

Cloud Eight

Registered
Reaction score
Just returned from a conference that was really great...except that I felt like a bit of a fraud. Yeah, I'm a writer, on submission and who the hell knows.

On the other hand, the pubbed writers I met were uniformly friendly and helpful.

On the other other hand, I'm sharing the frustrations expressed here over the past few days.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
All you can do is write that second book, because the first may not come to pass--at least not right away.

Everyone here knows my story of woe, so I won't repeat it. But yeah, it's terribly heartbreaking when a ms you put years into writing doesn't sell.

Honestly, even though I'm almost finished with my second book, I haven't recovered. I still think book 1 is great. Better than this one. But I'm in the camp that says, "Just move forward." It's all you can do, really.

:)

Sweet Tea

Gone to pee - don't touch my glass!
Registered
Reaction score
sending tons o' hugs, Cricket.

I've resorted to stress-baking. My home now smells like the set for Cake Boss. Anyone for a slice of chocolate fudge ripple cake?

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, ST...that sounds amazing!! Me please!! I have also been baking...cocoa fudge cookies tonight. Chocolate definitely helps, I've decided.

Hoping this week brings good news for lots - hey, ALL - of us! :) Fingers crossed!!

bluerose

Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) - I'm still hoping your first book will have another chance - either as package deal with 2nd, or once you've established a name.

Mel - I wouldn't have a problem with a foreign/unrecognizable-word title, even when I was a teenager, but then I pay very little attention to titles anyway. (Probably why I've found it soooooo hard to title my own stuff!)

Sounds like lots of people have now reached that 3-4 week mark where responses start to come in...big hugs and good luck to you all! Sweet Tea & Tracy, all that baking sounds super yummy! What a great way to channel the nervous energy! :D

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks you guys! *hugs*

Bluerose, I hope you're right. I keep hoping to be that person in the bell curve that's on the fringe...where 8 months later someone says, "I'll buy this." ;)

But I think the more realistic thing is to try to query book 2 and hope I get an agent and a sale...and then go back to book 1.

Chocolate was mentioned multiple times on this thread. I'm SO in!

:D

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks you guys! *hugs*

Bluerose, I hope you're right. I keep hoping to be that person in the bell curve that's on the fringe...where 8 months later someone says, "I'll buy this." ;)

But I think the more realistic thing is to try to query book 2 and hope I get an agent and a sale...and then go back to book 1.

Chocolate was mentioned multiple times on this thread. I'm SO in!

:D

Hugs and chocolate to Cricket. And to the slew of us who are waiting to hear back.

I'm hoping to have some big news for you guys later today, but I'm probably going to switch handles to reflect my pseudonym, Ji11 H@th@w@y. If you want to know ASAP, you can follow my new blog at http://jillscribbles.blogspot.com or my twitter feed (jillscribbles).

*crossing fingers that everyone here gets as lucky as I feel*

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Jwheeler, a switch to your real name? Uh oh, you must be a real author with a public who needs to find you! Can't wait to here the news...

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
happy monday, all. hope we all get good news this week. I am sick, sick and so tired. i hope this is a 24 hour thing.:(

jwheeler - cant wait for your news! but a small yay and squee in advance.:D

RhiannonFrater

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rhiannonfrater.blogspot.com
Well, here I go again.

My agent is sending off two of my novels this week (hopefully today if all goes well). I'm already biting my nails. My only comfort is that this is the same editor who bought my previous series, so I can only hope she loves my work again. Wish me luck!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed, Rhiannon! I can see how going to the same editor could be both more and less anxiety-inducing. Is this an option deal, or otherwise an exclusive look, or are you also going out a little wider?

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, here I go again.

My agent is sending off two of my novels this week (hopefully today if all goes well). I'm already biting my nails. My only comfort is that this is the same editor who bought my previous series, so I can only hope she loves my work again. Wish me luck!

Good luck, Rhiannon!

RhiannonFrater

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rhiannonfrater.blogspot.com
Fingers crossed, Rhiannon! I can see how going to the same editor could be both more and less anxiety-inducing. Is this an option deal, or otherwise an exclusive look, or are you also going out a little wider?

They get an exclusive look on my new work. If they pass, we go out wider.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.