The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Kellion: Haha! Did you hack into my email? My editor sent me a note the other day - She told me that I'm officially done with edits (wooohooo!) and that I now have to send her my author pic. (Who said editorial letters were the scariest part of this process??) I'm trying to set up a photo shoot in the next couple of weeks. If the pics don't boil my eyes in their sockets, I'll post them over here. :)

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
Question for all. What is the rough time line from when your agent starts submitting and when you expect to hear something? Be interested to get some feedback on this. My agent started about 1 month ago. Figure I wouldn't bug her for at least 3 months and assume she'll be in touch if/when there is a decision of some sort.

YAwriter

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on when the feedback comes in. My agent started subbing in June and within a week or two I already had a rejection. Did you ask your agent to send you the rejections or do you only want to hear the good news?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Question for all. What is the rough time line from when your agent starts submitting and when you expect to hear something? Be interested to get some feedback on this. My agent started about 1 month ago. Figure I wouldn't bug her for at least 3 months and assume she'll be in touch if/when there is a decision of some sort.

It depends on when the feedback comes in. My agent started subbing in June and within a week or two I already had a rejection. Did you ask your agent to send you the rejections or do you only want to hear the good news?

Like YAwriter I started hearing pretty quickly. But there seem to be very many people who wait a month or more for the first news. And with August and Labor Day in there, it might make your first responses delayed.

But I'll second YAwriter to make sure you and your agent are on the same page as far as what you will hear from her and when re passes or news.

~suki

bluerose

Registered
Reaction score

Wow, 3 months? You're far stronger than I. :tongue I'll third what suki and YA said above - as long as you and your agent are on the same page as to expectations, it's all good.

In my case, I'd told my agent I wanted to know everything, ASAP. So she told me when editors requested off of her pitch email (which they all did, though not all right away), forwarded passes or news of interest as they came in, etc. I started hearing news 2 weeks in, though as suki said, in your case things might move more slowly thanks to the time of year.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Kellion: Haha! Did you hack into my email? My editor sent me a note the other day - She told me that I'm officially done with edits (wooohooo!) and that I now have to send her my author pic. (Who said editorial letters were the scariest part of this process??) I'm trying to set up a photo shoot in the next couple of weeks. If the pics don't boil my eyes in their sockets, I'll post them over here. :)

I got word that I had 2 weeks to turn around edits, and word that I needed an author photo...within 2 days of each other. I thought my head was going to explode and I was STRESSED that I wouldn't get a single decent photo from the shoot! But I did, which means you will, too. :D

Kendare Blake

Committed lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kendareblake.com
I got word that I had 2 weeks to turn around edits, and word that I needed an author photo...within 2 days of each other. I thought my head was going to explode and I was STRESSED that I wouldn't get a single decent photo from the shoot! But I did, which means you will, too. :D

Blond, that is a lovely author photo. It almost winks at you. Very come hither and read my book.

HC, I'm sure yours will turn out just as fab, so of course we expect to see it posted!!

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score

djaffe, when my agent sent out my manuscript she told me that she had asked to hear back from the editors she sent to by a certain date (about 6 weeks). She also told me (and this is close to a quote, but not quite) that none of them were known for their timeliness so to expect that we would *not* hear in six weeks and she would need to start nudging them.

I actually found this really helpful because I went for a whole three weeks or so without hardly thinking about the subs at all! (No, really!) I was lucky after because one of the editors did come back fairly soon after that, and was helpful in getting other editors to respond, but I was at least mentally prepared for months from the start.

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
my agent emailed me to let me know when an editor said they wanted to see the ms, and also forwarded the responses. she nudged every three weeks or so.

the first week i was on sub, i emailed or talked to my agent almost every day...i was a bit of a nervous nelly. ;-) by the second round, we were checking in with each other maybe once a week, and usually about the wip.

it all depends on you, your communication style, and your agent's communication style. but it's best when your style and your agent's mesh well. :)

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. Very useful. Maybe I'll drop my agent a note just to check in. Hadn't really thought to do that before. I come from the business world and have this mindset of letting people get on with their job with limited interference from me. My agent technically works for me and I assume she will be in touch if/when there is information to communicate that is relevant to my book. I like and trust her so I'm comfortable taking a back seat in the process. Not sure I need to hear about each and every rejection unless there is some actionable feedback... had plenty of curt "no thanks" during my agent querying days :)

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
djaffe - i love your attitude...so professional! I was WAY less laidback when I went out. Kudos to you!

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score

Two weeks??? Holy cow, Blond. You are super woman. (And, as I said before, your photo is GORGEOUS!). A friend of mine is hunting down a photographer for me. Fingers crossed! (I hope my photo does not show how stressed I am due to the slightly alarming fact that I have yet to think of an alternative title for my book. Blergh.) :)

Blond, that is a lovely author photo. It almost winks at you. Very come hither and read my book.

HC, I'm sure yours will turn out just as fab, so of course we expect to see it posted!!

Gulp. :)

Thanks all. Very useful. Maybe I'll drop my agent a note just to check in. Hadn't really thought to do that before. I come from the business world and have this mindset of letting people get on with their job with limited interference from me. My agent technically works for me and I assume she will be in touch if/when there is information to communicate that is relevant to my book. I like and trust her so I'm comfortable taking a back seat in the process. Not sure I need to hear about each and every rejection unless there is some actionable feedback... had plenty of curt "no thanks" during my agent querying days :)

Good luck! :)

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
HC, an alternative title for EAH? Or the new one? Is the publisher changing EAH? Do they have any ideas of their own, or do you get first crack?

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Two weeks??? Holy cow, Blond. You are super woman.

It's...not fun. Was supposed to have 3 months and then they decided to push the debut up 6 months (still waiting to be able to announce it...) so I have to be in c/e by mid-October, which means first round of edits are due Monday. *flails*

But you came up with an awesome title before, HC. You can do it again!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Blond, it's not fun now, but how fun will it be to have your book out sooner rather than later? From submission to contract to published book that fast... I swoon just imagining it for myself.

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Kellion, totally. And I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. Just having a tough week between the day job and the revisions, wishing I could afford to take more than one day off work, realizing I can't if I want to pay rent. FUN TIMES!

I'll survive. And this will all most a lovely story one day...

shinta

Registered
Reaction score
To: Folks on sub
RE: Status of submission
Discussion: No news since I went on sub four weeks ago. Agent poked this week. Expect rejections to be rolling in any minute because, for sure, offers are not.
Question: Have folks heard since Labor Day? Yay/ nay?

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Nay :(

I wonder if I should poke. I've been on sub since first week or so of August and so far only two have gotten back to me.

Dawn Schaefer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I heard back immediately Tuesday from two house - one rejection and one gushing request for another R&R, complete with extensive suggestions. I'm now knee deep revising this monster, yet again.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Woohooo, Dawn! With good news like that, who cares about the R??? But wait, is this a second R&R from a place that already requested one, or a new R&R (your third? fourth)? You are getting so close... Fingers crossed~

Status
Not open for further replies.