Status
Not open for further replies.

Kendare Blake

Committed lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kendareblake.com
Very cool about the last draft success, HC! Have fun compiling your blurb list. I hope you get them all!

(I'm waiting for line edits now too...doesn't feel nearly as scary as waiting for the first edit letter!)

bluerose

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, HC!! :snoopy: So awesome to complete that hurdle. And a blurb list, wow...fun and yet I can also imagine there must be plenty of butterflies in the stomach! May you get terrific blurbs from all.

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Blue and Lisa! :) It's been quite a journey to get to this point - I'm sooooo ready to move on to this next stage. (Though I think my head will explode before I come up with a list! Haha!).

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, HC. How exciting - good luck!:)

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Can anyone shed some light on publishers' "Lists"? In our last conversation, my agent said he was pushing some editors on using my book to complete their lists. This has always been a murky area for me, an insider element that doesn't get much exposure beyond the industry denizens.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
That's a puzzle. I don't know what your agent means, but it seems like "completing a list" means one (or some determined number) of each genre or subgenre, however the imprint chooses to break down the categories.

Maybe your agent means that your book is the X factor that will find its place even in lists that publishers claim are completed?

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Publishers' "Lists"

Maybe your agent means that your book is the X factor that will find its place even in lists that publishers claim are completed?

My understanding is that publishers will lay out early in the year that they want X number of mysteries, or Y number of thrillers and then sort through the submissions to fill their quotas. Something like that. I've heard about these "lists" over the years, but have never delved into the details. My agents have all referred to them in passing. I was wondering whether others here have some personal experiences with "lists" as they proceed through the publishing maze.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Only that my book doesn't seem to fit any.

Me too! But to answer Angkor, it does seem that others have gotten rejections that say, "We already have our dystopian (or steampunk or mythological retelling or male MC)." I got one that said they already had a book in a similar milieu, which isn't so much a list slot but a thematic similarity that would produce competing titles.

That's partly what it's about, I guess -- making sure titles aren't competing with each other.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
I think Angkor touched on it pretty accurately.

Publishers have a certain number of genres / age groups they need to fill for a complete fall list (or Spring or whatever). X amount of YA Paranormal, X amount of Adult political thrillers, etc.

Since the publisher probably gets inundated with YA, when that Adult political thriller comes along, it may get snapped right up because then the publisher has fulfilled, or is close to fulfilling, its list.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Victoria has given me the green light to share that "Don't Ever Get Old" is coming out in Winter 2012 in hardcover from Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press. My editor is Marcia Markland.

bluerose

Registered
Reaction score
Victoria has given me the green light to share that "Don't Ever Get Old" is coming out in Winter 2012 in hardcover from Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press. My editor is Marcia Markland.

Hooray!!! :hooray::snoopy::partyguy: I read the query that Parametric linked to - sounds like a great story! Huge congrats to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.