How long does it take you?

DC2244

Registered
Reaction score
I've just started on a (potential) book. My first rough guess is that it will take me at least 1000 hours for around 60-70,000 words. I think well over half the time is on research.
Do you count hours?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Why count the hours? It's better to count the days, months or years. My first book took 9 months, exclusive of editing. (And, yes, editing is essential.) The second took a little over a year to write, another year to edit (but we also moved during that time, so it was more like 6 months) and 3 years to find a publisher.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

moreferarum

Registered
Reaction score
I write non fiction and I started the first draft of a book I've been working on in November 2012, I finished it yesterday. However, through December and January I did next to no writing at all.

Yes, a lot of my time was devoted to research but that is all part of the process.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write non fiction and I started the first draft of a book I've been working on in November 2012, I finished it yesterday. However, through December and January I did next to no writing at all.

Yes, a lot of my time was devoted to research but that is all part of the process.

Congrats on finishing the book!! :TheWave: Woot!

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
I have met experienced fiction novelists who can create a 1st draft at a 500 - 700 word per hour clip.
For my first draft of my published nonfiction book, I averaged about 250-300 wds per hour, having already researched and organized the material fairly well.
For the second draft rework, I estimate that it took me a bit longer (rewriting at a 200/hr clip).

DC2244

Registered
Reaction score

Hi neighbour! Congratulations on finishing the first draft. What does the second draft process involve?

I have met experienced fiction novelists who can create a 1st draft at a 500 - 700 word per hour clip.
For my first draft of my published nonfiction book, I averaged about 250-300 wds per hour, having already researched and organized the material fairly well.
For the second draft rework, I estimate that it took me a bit longer (rewriting at a 200/hr clip).

That's fast. I might be slow at the moment because I tend to do things pretty thoroughly by nature. I write a few paragraphs, read them a few times, and change anything I'm not happy with. Maybe I should leave any fine tuning to the second draft.

moreferarum

Registered
Reaction score
Wow thank you all for your congratulations! Second draft process is eliminating all the areas where I may have gone off on a tangent and perhaps finding ways to explain myself clearer. I'm a strong believer in Einstein when he said if you can't explain the subject to a 6 year old then you don't truly understand.

I'm not sure how people can say how many words per hour they can get down, for me I could do about 1000 an hour but then some of that will be rubbish and have to be eliminated, that is also if I don't allow myself any breaks and just write continuously - which isn't really best.

Usually I'll sit down, write for 15 minutes, check twitter, get a drink, have a snack.. then I'll come back and write some more.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

DC, some people like to edit as they go along. I'm one of them. I read through what I've written the day before as a way to get into the writing. I still need to revise later, but I have comparatively little to cut. Other people like to write quickly and revise later. That's fine too, if it's the only way to get the words on the page. Go with what works for you.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

moreferarum

Registered
Reaction score
DC, some people like to edit as they go along. I'm one of them. I read through what I've written the day before as a way to get into the writing. I still need to revise later, but I have comparatively little to cut. Other people like to write quickly and revise later. That's fine too, if it's the only way to get the words on the page. Go with what works for you.

I definitely agree with this, I never edit as I go because I find it easier just to get the ideas out, others prefer taking their time and editing and playing around with what they've written. It's all a matter of personal preference!

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
Could depend on your experience, how well you know your subject, how efficient you are at research, knowing where to look etc.

Maybe it could be said that the first book tends to take the longest. A book I wrote recently that took me 2 months, if written 2 years ago would have taken at least twice as long.

I heard that the late Thomas Szasz once wrote a book in 2 weeks!

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't kept track of time but I'm up to 88k words since I started in late December/early January. One point of note though is that I have written about 90% of what I have in February, March and April with plenty of days off.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
Many recommend whipping through the first draft, while rounding out your (already performed) research in the process. As you proceed with the chapter drafts, you begin shifting content to planned, yet unwritten chapters. And of course, as you continue, you may find latter material is best suited to a previously worked chapter which can then serve as fodder for your second draft. The first draft focus should be on getting your initial prose down, yet without much finesssing. To finesse at this stage, may very well be a waste of time - especially if the material is "collapsed" into other material, or even discarded.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
All my books are around 80,000 words and take me about eight months to write.

I shoot for the standard 1,000 words per day 3-4 days per week. On other days I do some editing, because that is the fun part and it keeps you sharp. I generally write a chapter, then first-pass edit it. Some days I do 2,000 words, but I've found that a huge amount written in fit of inspiration generally doesn't look so good the next day. Maybe for fiction, but not for prescriptive nonfiction, which is what I write.

I try to complete the book about 6 weeks before the contract deadline, which leaves me plenty of time for more editing.

Gatita

Girl reporter
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are fast!

I've been working on my book since 2009 and it won't be released for another year and a half as we go through the editing process.

SasyJes

Living beyond the box
Registered
Reaction score
I started a in January with outlining and research. I'm at 40,000 words, but I would love to be done with the rough draft by mid summer. It's also my first book but I have extensive experience in the field. It feels painfully slow but I'm feeling better after reading all the other responses!

MJDavis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I don't count the hours. It varies too much. Some days, I may struggle to write 200 words in an hour. Other days, I can easily write 1000 words in an hour. I'm estimating that my first draft will take me 2 1/2 months to write. I'm just over a month in right now.