NRA Response To Newtown School Shooting

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Let me see if I have this straight: LaPierre wants a national registry for "mentally ill" people, but not a national registry for guns. Did I miss something?

caw

Yes, you missed the point where LaPierre explains his very unique take on logical thinking. Well, noit "explains" as much as exemplifies - it's really all over the place:

He also claims that guns protect people, which is hillarious coming from the same school of thought that keeps telling us guns don't kill by themselves.

He also defends gun ownership as an individual right but basically demands a police state. (Armed guards at every important spot? Seriously?)

In his video game rant, he even names a game called "Kindergarten Killers" and points out that it's been online for ten years but fails to note the utter lack of actual Kindergarten killings in the last ten years.

Consistent? Yes. Logical? Not so much. Really not the kind of level-headed character who should be allowed to carry a gun.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Important quotes from that article that expose the reality behind the claim that a good guy with a gun will protect against a bad guy with a gun:

What you don't seem to understand is that it's the guy still able to hold the gun after the showdown that we declare the good guy. All arguments and conflicts can be settled with a life or death consequence, Crunchy.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
It gets better. LaPierre and the NRA are apparently wanting to assemble a volunteer armed security force to put into schools:
The NRA plans to develop an emergency response program that would include using volunteers from the group's 4.3 million members to help guard children, and has named former Rep. Asa Hutchinson, R-Ark., as national director of the school program.

Hutchinson said the NRA's position was a "very reasonable approach" that he compared to the federal air marshal program that places armed guards on flights.

"Are our children less important to protect than our air transportation? I don't think so," said Hutchinson, who served as an undersecretary at the Department of Homeland Security when it was formed.

Hutchinson said schools should not be required to use armed security. LaPierre also argued that local law enforcement should have final say on how the security is put into place, such as where officers would be stationed.

We all remember this guy, right? And how good his judgement was with regard to appropriate use of his weapon, in his capacity as a volunteer vigilante?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
It gets better. LaPierre and the NRA are apparently wanting to assemble a volunteer armed security force to put into schools:
I do think it's important to remember that the NRA has morphed from the original association of gun owners to a highly paid lobbying arm of the gun manufacturers.

Most of the money it gets comes, not from citizens, but from gun manufacturers and related corporations.

http://www.vpc.org/studies/bloodmoney.pdf

And ever wonder how Aurora movie shooter James Holmes managed to purchase more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition online with no questions asked?

It was a direct result of Congressional passage of the National Rifle Association's flagship bill of the 1980s: the Firearms Owners' Protection Act:
Today the NRA receives millions of dollars from online sales of ammunition, high-capacity ammunition magazines, and other accessories through the Round-Up Program, created by top NRA benefactor Larry Potterfield. Potterfield is founder and head of MidwayUSA, which claims to stock "[j]ust about everything for shooting, reloading, gunsmithing and hunting," including ammunition and high-capacity ammunition magazines. The Round-Up Program encourages buyers to "round-up" their purchase to the nearest dollar with the difference going to the NRA. . .

. . .Prior to passage of McClure-Volkmer, interstate ammunition sales by common carrier to private individuals were banned and records were maintained of ammunition sales. McClure-Volkmer ended these limited controls -- and opened up a new financial funding stream for the NRA.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-sugarmann/nra-reaps-profits-from-th_b_1698652.html

Gun owners may be concerned about the second amendment. The NRA is concerned first and foremost with the profits of gun manufacturers.

Foley

ever decreasing circles
Registered
Reaction score
Gun owners may be concerned about the second amendment. The NRA is concerned first and foremost with the profits of gun manufacturers.

Lobbying as it is, however, it's not the gun owners, or even non-gun owners, who influence how the US constitution gets interpreted - it's those, like the NRA, who profit from its interpretation. Democracy at work.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
Did anyone else experience this scenario? On the day of the sootings at Sandy Hook I posted something on my personal Facebook page about how rapid fire rifles should be banned so this type of thing never happens again. I began seeings things from others like, "Crazy hippies trying to take away our rights!" Which was very similar to what I read during the election, btw. Then I saw, "Horrible people talking about gun control before the victims have even been buried!" I thought to myself, am I horrible? We've, all of us, waited through so many of these events. I have never, ever felt what I felt the day of the Sandy Hook shootings. Now is the time to talk about gun control. Now is the time to do something. No more later. It felt wrong not talking about it.

Then they said, "We have to control the mentally ill." As if any of us are free from some form of mental illness, trauma, dysfunction, depression—you name it. It felt like a diversion. Let's talk about the mentally ill and in the meantime we'll buy more guns and hopefully this whole thing will blow over.

Then it was, "Put God back in the schools." I can tell you from experience that many religious people can and do harm children—in the name of God. I saw my father dangling my infant step-brother by the ankles with repeated slaps to his bottom while the baby was turning blue because food had been forced in its mouth. I thought my step-brother was going to die that day and I'd have to watch because I was too young to do anything about it. My father thought God was telling him to defeat Satan. Believe me, putting God back in the schools is not a proper solution.

Then they said, "We'll arm the teachers, the principal, and we'll get armed guards." So that all of us can live in the threat of potential crossfire and never find a real solution.

What they haven't said: "Let's make a compromise and give up all these assault rifles with easily changeable clips. We don't need them to hunt. We don't need them for protection. We can still have our simple hunting rifles like Davey Crockett. Life is still going to be okay. We want a progressive and safe society, one that sends a message to the world that we can lead without violence. That we are confident, secure, and fully able to exist without these weapons in the hands of common citizens. We care about our children, and we don't ever want this type of massacre to happen again."

If they said this, it would be an act so unselfish the entire world would be in awe. We may not be the financial leader of the world anymore, but we can still be a leader in action. We can either hoard these terrible guns that are like leftovers from Vietnam because we have a sick, silent fear of being castrated OR we can make the courageous and unselfish decision to get them off the market.

It takes a brave man to know when they're wrong. Change is hard. Real hard. We all have something we have to compromise on. All of us.

Foley

ever decreasing circles
Registered
Reaction score
That's a powerful comment, folkchick.

We want a progressive and safe society, one that sends a message to the world that we can lead without violence.

IMO, that America would be a real world leader.

If we can send a man to the moon...

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, the world leader part bugs me :) We have to focus on our problems, not on leading the world. We can't spread ourselves that thin anymore, no. There's too much to do here that takes a lot of thought and effort. Let other folks lead the world, especially about guns. Whoever would look to the US on that issue is not very smart!

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
The Constitution doesn't tell us exactly which arms we can bear, does it? Maybe just our own arms, or actual bear arms!

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
That's one reason competitive organizations like the Gun Owners of America are growing.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read somewhere that George Bush Sr has published an open letter to the NRA renouncing his lifetime membership.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've only skimmed this thread and the other gun threads (they make my blood pressure rise too much), so I apologize if someone has said the same thing before.

Even assuming having armed guards at schools would deter shootings of children at schools, why would that reduce *overall* killing?

If someone wanted to massacre children, he could go to a bijillion other places where there are plenty of children: Chuck E. Cheese's, Gymboree, toy store, mall, park, school bus, theater showing "Finding Nemo," etc. Are we arming all those places too?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I read somewhere that George Bush Sr has published an open letter to the NRA renouncing his lifetime membership.
Here's a story on it today:
http://boingboing.net/2012/12/23/why-george-bush-sr-resigned-h.html
It links to the New York Times article with the whole letter, dated 1995:
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/11/us/letter-of-resignation-sent-by-bush-to-rifle-association.html
I've only skimmed this thread and the other gun threads (they make my blood pressure rise too much), so I apologize if someone has said the same thing before.

Even assuming having armed guards at schools would deter shootings of children at schools, why would that reduce *overall* killing?

If someone wanted to massacre children, he could go to a bijillion other places where there are plenty of children: Chuck E. Cheese's, Gymboree, toy store, mall, park, school bus, theater showing "Finding Nemo," etc. Are we arming all those places too?
The school looks (or did look) most attractive for this purpose, as it is a guaranteed place to both have a lot of children during certain times, and be a "gun free zone."

After earlier this year, no doubt a few more people are packing heat when they go to the movie theaters, and I'd think they're sitting in the back.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

We're not? Darn it, that's an untapped market!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
This is a brief public service announcement that the Gun Control/Gun Culture threads (yes, ALL of them) will be closed from Christmas Eve and throughout Christmas Day, in the fine tradition of Christmas Ceasefires through the years.

Threads will be re-opened on the morning of December 26th, USian West Coast Time, or else when the mods have sufficiently recovered from making merry with their families and friends.

In the meantime, please do not attempt to open new Gun Debate threads. They'll just be closed, as well.

Merry Christmas, and a very Happy New Year.