Status
Not open for further replies.

GiddyUpGo

WIP: Still choosing the right font
Registered
Reaction score
Website
travelbystove.blogspot.com
After getting a bunch of standard form rejections from agents I ended up using a critiquing service to try to get feedback on the first few pages of my novel. It was a very underpriced service (I thought) but the critiquer is a published author in my genre and has even edited some short story collections that include authors who are very well known in the genre, so I felt like she was a good person to give me some feedback.

Well, let me just say that after reading her feedback I was left feeling like I have no talent, should not bother to go on pursuing a "career" and should burn this MS, every MS I have written in the past, will ever write in the future, and probably all my emails and correspondence for good measure.

She was really harsh. She did not say one nice thing. And this is someone I was actually *paying* for an opinion.

Now, when I was in college critique groups, we were always told to be honest but that we should try to find good things to say as well as negative things. Maybe she just thought blowing smoke would only add to my delusion that I'm a capable writer. Or maybe she just thought that she was saving agents and publishers from having to bother with me in the future.

Anyone ever had a confidence-shattering critique like this one and then looked back at it and thought "I'm glad I went through that because it made me a better writer"? 'Cause right now I'm thinking I'm going to give up writing and take up a career in cake decorating or something.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Here is Jack London on this topic: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/04/you-must-deliver-marketable-goods.html

And also F Scott Fitzgerald: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/07/youve-got-to-sell-your-heart.html

As a writer you need to have a thick skin, because your readers aren't obliged to try to find nice things to say in Amazon reviews, and nor are critics (here's a classic hatchet job which begins "Reviewing someone's first novel, it is customary to be polite about it, to find things to praise in it. So let me say straight away that James Thackara's The Book Of Kings is printed on very nice paper; the typeface is clear and readable, and Samantha Nundy's photograph of the author is in focus.")

It's possible your critiquer was being unduly harsh. It's also possible that your MS really wasn't that great, that you're at the beginning of your development as a writer. But then as Jack London says, "There's only one way to make a beginning, and that is to begin; and begin with hard work, and patience, prepared for all the disappoint*ments that were Martin Eden's before he succeeded—which were mine before I succeeded—because I merely appended to my fictional character, Martin Eden, my own experiences in the writing game."

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
If I paid someone for a critique and all they did was stroke my ego, I'd feel ripped off.

I'm glad you got some good feedback. Now, figure out how to fix things that are wrong and then fix them.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Torgo has made some good points. However, it is possible that the author is jealous of your talent and does not like the idea of competition. That might sound far fetched but it is possible. Also, being an author and an editor does not make someone good critic. Just keep on writing and reading. Your skills WILL grow. Don't let one persons opinion make you give up.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
If I were in your shoes, I'd put a clean hard copy of that manuscript in a drawer for now, and go write something new.

Then, in a few weeks or even months, after you've worked on completely other stuff, take it back out and read it again with fresh eyes. Only THEN go back to the critique, and consider whether or not the person in question was saying things that are true and helpful, that really will make the manuscript better.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
A good way to tell if the critique is at all justified is to get a few more opinions and triangulate. Try a grit group of some kind?

Edit: CRIT, not grit. Damn you autocorrect!

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
It is true that you need thick skin to make it in this industry (in any industry, really.) However, it is also true that some people are overly harsh for the sake of being overly harsh. Take your pick.

If you are very worried about the criticism, try a second opinion. Or, as MacAllister said, put the work down, try something new for a while, then go back to it. Make sure you it with an open mind--read as if someone else wrote it. Is there validity to the critique, or does it still feel overly harsh? If the answer is validity, do the thing you need to do and rework it. If the answer is overly harsh... second opinion.

GiddyUpGo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If I paid someone for a critique and all they did was stroke my ego, I'd feel ripped off.

I didn't actually expect her to just stroke my ego ... I knew that the MS needed work. I did hope for some encouragement in addition to the criticism. Shredding my work to the point where she's also shredded my confidence doesn't really help me. It certainly doesn't make me eager to dive in and fix the problems.

I guess I do need a thicker skin. I'm just not sure if a thick skin is something you're born with or something you need to develop over time.

GiddyUpGo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If I were in your shoes, I'd put a clean hard copy of that manuscript in a drawer for now, and go write something new.

Then, in a few weeks or even months, after you've worked on completely other stuff, take it back out and read it again with fresh eyes. Only THEN go back to the critique, and consider whether or not the person in question was saying things that are true and helpful, that really will make the manuscript better.

Yeah, that's good advice. Thank you.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, gee...that's rough, for sure. I do you hope you hang in there (and here) and see that you can grow from this.

:Hug2:

Welcome to the Cooler, btw :)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Ira Glass on creativity:
“What nobody tells people who are beginners — and I really wish someone had told this to me . . . is that all of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, and it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not.

But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase. They quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know it’s normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story.

It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.”

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
A good way to tell if the critique is at all justified is to get a few more opinions and triangulate.

I agree with Torgo ,You are looking for a consensus from as many critiques as you can get. Writing and receiving critiques is a really good way to improve your writing. But, any critique is just a personal opinion and nobody is an arbiter of taste

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I do need a thicker skin. I'm just not sure if a thick skin is something you're born with or something you need to develop over time.

Just to add: Thick skin is not something most of us are born with; it has to develop over time with experience.

Hang in there. Take all the great advice offered above. You'll do fine.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Were you paying her to say something nice, or were you paying her to tell you the truth? If you want to pay to receive nice comments, I'll volunteer to be your next critiquer. The bigger the check you send, the nicer things I'll say.

Requiring a critiquer to say something nice is feel good. politically correct nonsense. Does you want someone to tell you how nice your hair looks while they shove bamboo under your fingernails, or do you want to learn how to be a better writer?

I haven't read your writing. It may be wonderful. But I have read a lot of slush, and most of it is utterly horrible in every possible way. The only nice thing to say about it is that the format is correct.

The good news is that even a pro writer is sometimes wrong about story and character. The bad news is that they're usually right.

The good news is that even a pro writer may be wrong about they way you tell a story. The bad news is a that a pro writer is almost certainly right about the quality of the writing itself.

The good news is that bad writing, even nearly illiterate, horrible, flat out garbage writing, does not automatically mean the writer lacks talent. A writer does need a measure of talent, but skill is an even bigger requirement, and skill often takes years to develop. The bad news is that if you have a thin skin, and really don't want to hear the truth, you probably won't work very hard or very long at developing the necessary skill.

Isaac Asimov once sent an early story to John Campbell. When no news came in a few weeks, Asimov went to Campbell's office to check on the story. Campbell held the story over the wastebasket and said, "You don't really want this back, do you?"

Harsh? Yes. Truthful, also yes. Asimov determined to do better, and obviously did.

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
I love that Ira Glass piece.

If you paid for a single critique and you found it overly harsh, then put it aside until you can read it for objective viewpoints. Also, never depend on one critique. One opinion doesn't comprise a consensus.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Early on in my writing career, I paid an editor for a critique. The results were very much what yours sounded like. I had to put it away, but when I was able to go back to it months later and look at each point, the editor was right on about 3/4 of them. I'm not saying that means your critiquer was right about yours, but give yourself some time before you look at it again. And thick skin does develop if you stick with it.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Thick skin comes with time and experience. You'll be fine. I agree with the other posters: you may need to set this one aside for a while, and look at it with a clearer mind.

Nice critiques are great for ego boosting. No matter where you are in your writing career, they always make you feel good. But they may not be as useful as harsher critiques.

I grew my rhino hide during 10 years in commercial art and design. I used to have a temperamental boss who'd swing by my station and declaim that whatever order I was working on was "Crap, complete crap." I'd answer, "Fine, it's crap, now tell me *why* it's crap and I'll fix it." He liked me.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I spent years as an academic, writing books and articles. Every time the editorial comments came on an article, I was depressed for days. I felt like I should just bury the thing in the backyard. But after a week or so, I looked at the comments again, and I could see how some of them could work. I started with the easy stuff and then tackled the harder. And in the end, it always, always made my work better. Every time.

Having said that, I do think there are people who enjoy being mean. It's possible your critter is like that.

Did she make your work better even though she was mean? Only you can answer.

IrisFlower81

Flower Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with the people who are suggesting you get multiple critiques on this MS. Maybe you're right and the feedback was unnecessarily harsh. If that's the case, have a few different people look at it. (Note: pick people you trust to give you honest feedback.) Take great consideration of what they say. Even if they're saying the same thing more nicely, it's probably something you should consider.

I have multiple CPS for this very reason. In On Writing Stephen King says that if half of the people reading your MS think one thing about a specific aspect of your story and half think another, then the tie goes to you. If you've had one person read it, find another. See if it ends in a tie or not.

sharkbytes

New Fish; already have thick skin
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joanofshark.com
harsh is a state of mind for some people - the question is "is there truth in the points they make?"

Some "fixes" are opinion. Some really are right on, and make a difference. Don't stop writing.

narmowen

Lost in the woods
Registered
Reaction score
I'm agreeing with the others to get more critiques. The more critiques, the better, IMO.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Did the critique give specific criticisms of what needs work? If so, ignore the nasty and benefit from the advice. If not, ask for your money back.

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Critiques can be difficult, but don't shred your work just yet. As long as the critique was specific, you can learn from it.

Did you consider posting a page or two here in SYW? People here are nice and truthful.

Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.