Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parataxis

Obsessive Plotting Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
Grr, Hunger Games. -hating-

A deep inner vendetta I should know about?

EDIT: I suddenly realized that sounded defensive, which was not my aim. I'm just curious as to what provoked the reaction.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

All that post says to me is that you can make any book sound dumb if you spend ten paragraphs analysing each sentence.

There's so much random stuff in the post, I'm not sure which part specifically you're pointing us at. Is it that you hate the book because of the author's flawed understanding of cougar hunting patterns? Or you hate the book because you don't think the characters' treatment of blackberry bushes makes economic sense? Or what?

Last edited:

Parataxis

Obsessive Plotting Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
So basically, they completely refused to allow for any premise, hated everything on principle and never got passed the first chapter?

I feel like this fell into the trap of a lot of reviews of popular books, where in order to have an opinion on it, you have to go all the way to one end of the spectrum or the other. 'Cause reading the last summing up, it didn't sound like The review hated the book with a deep and bitter passion--just that it wasn't really her thing. But in the main body of the review definitely had a vendetta.

Anyway, I'm having fun adapting it into a Musical despite it's flaws. :)

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the review (which I agree is written with a major agenda) is actually by Thalia.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have never read the Hunger Games. It doesn't really appeal to me so much I feel like I have to own it.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the Hunger Games. I was recommended it several times and when I eventually read it, I fell in love. Sure it's kinda different, and a bit heavy in parts, but it's all personal choice.
And for the love of god, would the person outside my window STOP SOUNDING LIKE A CROW GIVING BIRTH?! lol it's driving me NUTS! Sorry... Mini rant there.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. If you read something solely to pick it apart, you'll find loose threads. But it seems like a sad way to read.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh it's okay, turns out it was a guy outside making noises because he's either a) drunk, b) injured or c) trying to be annoying, or d) all of the above. Thankfully him and his unhelpful mates are gone.

ETA: What did everyone think of the season finale of Doctor Who?! I almost cried. And I'm sooo gutted they've axed Confidential. :(:(:(:(

Last edited:

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
DON'T YOU DARE TALK ABOUT IT KATH IT HASN'T AIRED HERE YET.

And this thread has a no-spoilers pact. DON'T BREAK IT.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
AND I'M TALKING ABOUT THE LINE-BY-LINE OF THE ENTIRE TRILOGY.

It was linked to me by Zoom.

AND I HATE KATNISS AND THE FACT THAT THE AUTHOR IS SO HORRIBLE TO FEMALE CHARACTERS GAH OH MY GOD I HATE THOSE BOOKS SO MUCH

-clears throat-

Well. Yes. I have a deep and intense loathing and intolerance for all things Hunger Games. If we're going to keep talking about it, I shall have to leave or you will all want to murder me.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I like them. But I never really got the importance of reading about her waking up to a cold bed. I read that starting a book with a character waking up was a big no no.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
AND I'M TALKING ABOUT THE LINE-BY-LINE OF THE ENTIRE TRILOGY.

It was linked to me by Zoom.

AND I HATE KATNISS AND THE FACT THAT THE AUTHOR IS SO HORRIBLE TO FEMALE CHARACTERS GAH OH MY GOD I HATE THOSE BOOKS SO MUCH

Seriously? The reviewer explicitly stated that she wrote that review to "demonstrate ... what it actually looks like when I'm really picking things apart". The book she's reviewing is only there to make herself look clever. I'm surprised that you'd embrace a highly slanted post by a random lj person with an admitted agenda.

I don't have a problem with people having a "deep and intense loathing" for a book, even a book I enjoy, but do you have any actual reasoning for that? Why do you hate Katniss? Why is the author "horrible to female characters"?

Well. Yes. I have a deep and intense loathing and intolerance for all things Hunger Games. If we're going to keep talking about it, I shall have to leave or you will all want to murder me.

If you don't want to discuss your CAPSLOCK FEELINGS about The Hunger Games, you could try not bringing them up? :tongue

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
What? Parataxis brought up Hunger Games.

In the novel, women in power are cast as evil. Women who don't like Katniss are cast as evil. Women who like Katniss are cast as stupid. Women who like clothing and hair and makeup and the like are stupid and horribly abused. The only characters with (acknowledged) mental illness are female, and are treated as pets or pests. Katniss herself hates women and idolizes and respects men to a point of ridiculousness. In the first book, there was not a single positive female character.

But let's talk about Katniss. Katniss decides to kill a girl for lighting a fire. When somebody else brutally tortures the girl, she doesn't give a damn. Katniss kills over and over again without a hint of regret, except at the fact that she didn't kill more, and then criticizes people for the exact same behavior (except those people might actually care). When Katniss hears that people died for her, she's never ever concerned about the people dying for her and only concerned about what she has to do next. Katniss is a total sociopath, and yet she is idolized by the book and by everyone in in (except the terrible evil people who end up dying).

Peeta and Gale are creeps, too.

The only exception is Johanna, 'cause I love her. :D

ETA: ...but you never say anything when Zoom goes into page-long CAPSLOCK rants about how horrible the worldbuilding is. Hmm, that's interesting...

Last edited:

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
oh shit... i never read hunger games (just didnt interest me) but my once character is a somewhat a sociopath but at least she somewhat feels stuff when she kills people a little at first... then that fads after like the 5th person.

Anyway, hello everyone, how is your day going... besides from being angered by the hunger games

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I love characters who are sociopaths... as long as the book acknowledges that they're sociopaths. Nick in TDL, for example.

In HG, Katniss is treated like Bella Swan, except it's worse because she's not just a boring, annoying character, she's a sociopath.

But my HG hatred just melted away for the moment because now I'm thinking about TDL and there are hearts in my eyes.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit, I found Katniss quite annoying. I had to put the book down several timesand walk away from it. Mostly in the rereads.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Have no idea what TDL is. Sorry.

Yeah later on when killing becomes just becomes a inconvenience for my characters they are at least sane enough to know they should feel stuff they just dont. But they dont go around killing innocent people, instead they go around killing people who are out to kill them, so its a little more reasonable they wouldnt feel guilt. They are technically saving a ton of innocent people from death anyway.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, yes. That's why I shouldn't reread books. I usually like them the first time.

ETA: Ally, human beings feel guilt when they take a life. Even if it's deserved. That's why shooting squadrons usually include a bunch of people with empty guns and one person with a bullet, so the executors can at least take comfort in the fact that it wasn't necessarily them.

Last edited:

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Watching the Smurfs again had me listening to Ready to Go by Panic! At the Disco over and over, while I draw character sketches. :)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah i know. But at the time they are killing them its more revenge/Fight mode that takes them so the guilt which is a higher brain function is blocked out. But afterwards since they have PTSD they more keep there feelings to themselves. They have a rule not to talk about the stuff because they dont want the feelings to come up. Instead Pip goes to church every day. Max loses himself in video games. Laura justifies everything to make herself believe she didnt do anything wrong. Tod wraps everything around the law. Ally writes about it all to get it all out. And Jul acts like it never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.