Rejectomancy

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Major bummer... Big agency that was looking at the full manuscript of my novel ultimately passed on it. Lots of nice comments... But that horse suddenly looks a lot higher than it did in the past. :(

Sorry to hear that. Nonetheless, to even have a big agency ask to see your manuscript is an achievement. Great that they had some nice comments. I hope the comments were helpful as well. Good luck with the next agency.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about the Rs :(

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Major bummer... Big agency that was looking at the full manuscript of my novel ultimately passed on it. Lots of nice comments... But that horse suddenly looks a lot higher than it did in the past. :(

Sorry for the disappointing response. Fihr is right though, just getting the request for a full is huge. If one agent requested it, more likely that others will too.

girldetective

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mckinleyvalentine.wordpress.com
OSC's Intergalactic Medicine Show: do they acknowledge submissions?

Hi,

I'm not quite sure if this is the right thread for this question, but I'm wanting to find out of Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show normally acknowledges receipt of short story submissions. I haven't received one. I don't want to hassle them by querying far too early, but I also don't want to wait 3 months if it's been lost in the aether.

Has anyone submitted there and can tell me?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi,

I'm not quite sure if this is the right thread for this question, but I'm wanting to find out of Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show normally acknowledges receipt of short story submissions. I haven't received one. I don't want to hassle them by querying far too early, but I also don't want to wait 3 months if it's been lost in the aether.

Has anyone submitted there and can tell me?
Hi girldetective :)

Welcome to AW, and to W1S1!

I've never received an acknowledgement from them, though i don't submit regularly. A couple of AW W1S1ers have sold there, so they might be able to confirm or deny :)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
OSCIMS doesn't confirm. After you send your response/sub email, you have to wait your 30-35 days. So unless it bounces back there's no reason to think it's lost. I've subbed at least six times and everything went through fine.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
I submitted to IGMS and didn 't get a response. I ended up querying, convinced it had been lost. They were very kind and confirmed that it had arrived safely.

11 day reject from Scherezade saying that the story didn't match the theme, which, well, I thought it did but I guess I was off-target. Ah well, onwards!

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Commiserations everyone. Good luck on the next batch, Deadlight.

I got a rejection on my second rounder at Drabblecast this morning. They were pretty complimentary of the story, but that 141-day wait puts a little extra sting on it.

Oh, well. Onward, onward, onward. Mush!

Decker

Old fish; alligator skin
Registered
Reaction score
So, a question. And there may be another thread that addressed/is addressing this, but...

When do you decide to shelve a project? I've been able to generate substancial agent interest in my completed MTS novel, but no takers. The feedback has all been positive and most seem to like my writing style, but no offers of rep. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking A) submitting to a smaller press with no agent required B) Self-publish (very skeptical). C) Shelve it.

I have a couple WIP's in the early stages, but when is it time to give up on the current one?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
So, a question. And there may be another thread that addressed/is addressing this, but...

When do you decide to shelve a project? I've been able to generate substancial agent interest in my completed MTS novel, but no takers. The feedback has all been positive and most seem to like my writing style, but no offers of rep. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking A) submitting to a smaller press with no agent required B) Self-publish (very skeptical). C) Shelve it.

I have a couple WIP's in the early stages, but when is it time to give up on the current one?
Personally, i shelve a novel project after i've queried all the reputable agents in the genre (i know of writers who've queried upwards of 200 agents before finding the right one). That doesn't mean i'll shelve the novel indefinitely, though.

If you've queried all the good agents in your genre, it could be that you're querying a good second novel rather than a first novel. What i mean by that is, sometimes you might have a really good book on your hands, but it's not the one that will get you an agent or first publishing deal. But it's one that will sell perfectly fine after you sell the first book.

Decker

Old fish; alligator skin
Registered
Reaction score
Too true Izz. I'm hoping to send the Query to Hell this weekend. Maybe they can resurrect it for me and I'll try another batch. But if that doesn't work, I think it's time to move on.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
43-day R from FFO. Off to the next market.

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
15-day R from the Eulogies II antho. Boo! I really like this story. I may send it out once more before giving it another look to see what it could be missing. I've edited it to death so maybe it's not the mechanics but the plot. 6th rejection total for this particular story. Is that a good or bad thing? :)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
6th rejection total for this particular story. Is that a good or bad thing? :)

I had a semi-pro sale on a story's 12th outing so I tend not to give up until I've exhausted all the markets I want to try for a given story.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Eliza and Marzioli for mentioning those results - good to know! (And well done for the eventual sales.)

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Those numbers help, thanks!

4th pass on this story, 9 day form R from Shimmer. :/

Out it goes, but to where? Have to figure that out...

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
Thanks for the input, Eliza C and Marzioli! Usually I'm pretty good about sending my R's back out immediately but sometimes, I wonder whether it's just a crap story too :) You know how it is. I'll keep trying - I haven't exhausted potential markets just yet.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Curious, but do you use duotrope? 'Cause all I see are the 80-90 day R's and a couple acceptances. Though it's good to know that the times may be coming down.

Nope, don't post my Rs on Duotrope. I have too many submissions coming and going and the Duotrope system is too slow and unwieldy.