The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I've still been at it, but no longer posting daily updates. I think I initially used this thread to build my confidence--and to have some accountability for my goals. Now I have a bit more belief in my writing stamina.

I reached my goal of 12,000 over spring break...then wrote another 8,000 before the break was actually over.

School has started again, so I'm back to doing 1,000 a day on those days. I still hope to have bigger word counts on weekends.

Total word count is now 44,000. I'm officially over halfway done. (I hope) :)

Congrats to everyone who's written or broken blocks, or whatever else is getting through your

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Congrats on the 44K, Kewii.

I got a bit waylaid by revisions an editor wanted on a short story, but I took care of those and I'm determined to finish Chapter 7 by tonight.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Wrote a little over 1900 words today, added a little to a couple of chapters but about 1500 of it was a scene I thought up while washing the dishes this morning. lol! Not sure if I'll keep it, but if I do it's a scene that happens a little further down the road from where I'm at in the story. It's a scene where the main character comes to realize something quite eye opening about himself that he had no idea before, or perhaps he had but it wasn't until this scene where it becomes affirmative that this is who he is, or something like that.

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Wrote a little over 1900 words today, added a little to a couple of chapters but about 1500 of it was a scene I thought up while washing the dishes this morning. lol!

I love it when that happens. Makes me feel like my brain knows how to make the most out of mundane tasks.

I got a start on chapter 8.

Rubay H.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maryfrikkenpoppins.wordpress.com
Wrote a little over 1900 words today, added a little to a couple of chapters but about 1500 of it was a scene I thought up while washing the dishes this morning. lol! Not sure if I'll keep it, but if I do it's a scene that happens a little further down the road from where I'm at in the story. It's a scene where the main character comes to realize something quite eye opening about himself that he had no idea before, or perhaps he had but it wasn't until this scene where it becomes affirmative that this is who he is, or something like that.

Nice! *high fives*

If all goes as planned, I think I'm going to be done with the first draft tonight or tomorrow! :D

FranOnTheEdge

Procrastinating lots, writing a bit
Registered
Reaction score
Fran, I'm expecting 34 chapters, so I've got a looong way to go. But now I'm almost done with Ch 7 and finished a sketch outline of the remaining 27 chapters. So I kind of know where I'm going, anyway!

It must be a nice feeling to know where you're going, at about 35thou I stopped writing for a bit to sort out alibis and other events, and jotted down already written events in ink on postcards and yet to happen events in pencil on postcards - and I can already feel it twisting out of that nice neat line I made for it to go along.

Fran - congratulations on your busting your 50K barrier!!
Thanks I think it's helped - either that or the 3 cups of high caffeine I drank today at the cafe - I wrote 1302 today in the cafe - and another 109 this evening after getting home, so it's either caffeine or cafe ambience - probably both! I'm just so happy!

wow. Congrats everyone!
I don't have much to say, but I've missed this thread so I'm stopping by to complain.I'm blocked. it's been a week since I last wrote anything. don't know when I'll be able to *sigh* Good luck to all of you and may you not jump into the same boat as me!
Love you guys!

Dare I suggest caffeine? Lol!

I just broke my block. You need to discover something you love, and start writing it.

Like me and hardboiled murder mysteries. You just gotta find somethung.

I think you just need to not give up - eventually something works, and you're writing again.

Hi everyone. New here. I have a short coming out on the 18th. Erotic romance. Got some final polishing to do on a novella I'm hoping Total E Bound will will except. Them or two others.

Welcome, Squinkies.

Welcome, Squinkies!
I haven't wrote much since last week. Spring break and Easter threw me all out of whack - but I plan to put in some serious work on it this week.
Sorry about the word blockage, andra. I've got a significant barrier to breach myself tonight find myself dreading having to tackle it. But we can do this! One word at a time.
Wordcount, congrats on breaking through! I love that feeling. Hoping I can find it myself, tonight.
Good luck, everyone!

Yeah, breaking through the block is a fantastic feeling alright, I love it!
Total word count today - 1447

G. Applejack

Write faster! FASTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Suffering from some 'middle of novel-itus'. This last chapter has been coming SO SLOW, but I'm done with the first draft! Now for a quick spit polish and onto chapter 13! :D

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
G.Collins, middle-of-novel-itus can be so painful! But it sounds like you're breaking through it.

Welcome, Squinkies.

I'm 2/3 done with chapter 8.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Checking in for the week, today is back to work day. Kept at it with my mini project, and started biting off a chunk for my big project. For the big project, I did less than I hoped, (or dreamed, really) but I clocked in for my BIC time and I started chipping away at it. Feeling satisfied.

Hope everyone had a good weekend - relaxing if you wanted it that way, productive likewise, and here's wishing you all a lot of progress on your projects this week.

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Congrats, Lizardmaker! :) I checked out your website, and I must say your two MG novels look very interesting. What are you currently working on? Another MG novel?

I'm trying to rewrite The Sleeping Kingdom, but rewriting is...well, horrible. I hate it! First drafts are a peace of cake compared to rewriting! I'm also working on outlining some future novels, and I'm stuck in my current manuscript, so I hope an outline will do that one some good as well. I have about 24k/80k written in Ghostslayer right now, and I want to make it to 40k by the end of the week. Doubt if that'll work though!

FranOnTheEdge

Registered
Reaction score
I managed another 507 words today, which surprised me a little as I had expected to be packing the car today for a trip over to Essex tomorrow to see my brother and mum. But he's been put on more chemo, instead of the operation he expected, so as my trip was to ferry mum to and from hospital while he's in there, I'm delayed until maybe 6 or more weeks. So things have been a little uncertain lately thus my ability to write this afternoon surprising me, I think it's knowing what's happening now after the uncertain weekend waiting to here what the surgeons etc were going to do.

I'm writing an interview with an important suspect and it feels like it's going really well.

Layla Nahar, What's BIC time?

Well done, Lizardmaker, one more chapter bites the dust eh?

eternalised, I actually rather like the re-writing, or editing - depending on how much work it takes, or how drastic the edit, I guess I like the satisfaction of having the words "The End" finally on paper, and I can finally see the complete form of the story.
So you outline when you're stuck? Hey, I did that too.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Fran,

Congrats on 507 words - from where I'm sitting that looks pretty good! BIC = Bum In Chair

I worked on both my projects today. I did a lot less on my small project than I would have liked, but I did more work on my big project today than yesterday, and total word count is greater, so still an up day.

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
eternalised, I actually rather like the re-writing, or editing - depending on how much work it takes, or how drastic the edit, I guess I like the satisfaction of having the words "The End" finally on paper, and I can finally see the complete form of the story.
So you outline when you're stuck? Hey, I did that too.

Well, yes. To be honest, I've never really outlined before, so it's a bit of an experiment. I hope it helps the story though, and gives me more inspiration and a better plan of what to write when.

The rewriting shouldn't be that much work - the story is pretty solid, it's mostly grammar, repetitive sentences, that kind of stuff - but no harsh editing in which scenes disappear etc. I much prefer writing new stuff above editing. I don't know why though! :) I have to admit there's something great about writing "The End". I do that for my first draft already, and then go back to rewrite. Maybe I should put off putting the words on paper until I'm finished with rewrites and such.

Kenzie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm another latecomer to this thread, but I need some sort of routine and accountability if I'm ever going to get anywhere.

As per the rules on first page:

WIP title: The Angry Ones
Current word count: 4727
Absolute minimum goal: 50 words/day, 350/week
Hoping for: at least 250 words/day, 1750/week

redneckballerina

I ride the wind and dance the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, glad I found this thread! Sorry I'm coming late, but I would love to participate. I need a little motivation and group accountability to help me finish this novel, otherwise I'll get sucked into eternal twiddling and tweaking.

WIP title: TLD (I'm superstitious about sharing titles ~ afraid I'll jinx it)
Current word count: approximately 15,000 (I'm writing by hand)
Absolute minimum goal: 400 words/day, 2800/week
Hoping for: 1000/day, 7,000/week

shayla.mist

Registered
Reaction score
Weelcome guys! :D
Just stopped by to say hello. Still procrastinating *blush*
Fran, I'm totally addicted to coffee, but it doesn't bring my muse back unfortunately :sigh:
Good luck everyone and congrats for the progress!

Rubay H.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Welcome Kenzie and redneckballerina! Good luck with your goals!

As for me, I could have sworn I'd be done with the first draft by now, but my last four scenes just kept getting bigger and bigger and now I'm shooting for the end of this week. Hopefully. Knock on wood. Crossing fingers.

+1900 yesterday. (Hoping for +1000 tonight.)

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Welcome, kenzie and redneckballerina. Nice to have you here.

Eternalised, thanks for checking out my site. I'm currently working on the sequel to my noir sci fi, Green Light Delivery.

Got a small start on chapter 9. Became grouchy and unproductive upon learning that my tween novel Trouble at the Scriptorium was being delayed until August. Wouldn't matter except I'd just booked six blog tour appearances for July. Oh, well. Rescheduling...

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Checking in - did good work on my small and my big project. feeling satisfied/pleased

Rubay H.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you, Jesus. I just finished the damned book. 59,292 words, and half of those are probably complete crap - but I can now say, that for sure this time - the first draft is done.
Now to let it sit for a week and play around on some of my new short story ideas and maybe even catch up on some video games. :p
I'll be back for revisions and other projects!
Thank you guys for all you're encouragement and support! :D

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the damned book.

Aah - wonderful news. Congratulations. Enjoy those video games & see you for the revisions :)

On a workday: Minimum of 200 words
On a day off: Minimum of 500 words

I like these goals :) They'll get you there!

Today I: did a small bit on my small work, which is good because I had to skip it yesterday. I did work on my big project that I'm very pleased with. countdown is 2.63% complete

FranOnTheEdge

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Fran,

Congrats on 507 words - from where I'm sitting that looks pretty good! BIC = Bum In Chair

Oh so that's what it means.

I worked on both my projects today. I did a lot less on my small project than I would have liked, but I did more work on my big project today than yesterday, and total word count is greater, so still an up day.
I found it really hard to work on two projects at once, getting into one world's mind set doesn't leave any room in my brain for the other one - as I discovered when I was working on a radio play about a bus trip with a twist, and still trying to keep working on The Body In The Cake.

Well, yes. To be honest, I've never really outlined before, so it's a bit of an experiment. I hope it helps the story though, and gives me more inspiration and a better plan of what to write when.

Yes, it was an experiment with me too - both this time and last time - I didn't expect to be doing that as I was writing just fine on the fly - on both books, I tried outlining when I started to loose track of the sequence of events.

The rewriting shouldn't be that much work - the story is pretty solid, it's mostly grammar, repetitive sentences, that kind of stuff - but no harsh editing in which scenes disappear etc. I much prefer writing new stuff above editing. I don't know why though! :)
Perhaps because the new stuff is more exciting? That's what it is for me.

I have to admit there's something great about writing "The End". I do that for my first draft already, and then go back to rewrite. Maybe I should put off putting the words on paper until I'm finished with rewrites and such.
Well I find that the words "The End" signifies a kind of hurdle or obstacle overcome... or perhaps "a goal achieved" is closer to what I feel about it. I use the reformatting stage (changing the margins to 1 inch and all the text to Courier (I hate Courier) as another signifier of editing finished. After that it's just polish, which ends only when you can't find anything more to do to it.

Welcome Kenzie and redneckballerina!
You're never too late to join in.

Weelcome guys! :)
Just stopped by to say hello. Still procrastinating *blush*
Fran, I'm totally addicted to coffee, but it doesn't bring my muse back unfortunately :sigh:
Good luck everyone and congrats for the progress!

Maybe it's the isolation and yet feeling of others about me – since I write in coffee shops only when I'm on my own – when I go with a friend we just can't stop talking. Perhaps because of the long-ish time between seeing each other.

//////
As for me, I could have sworn I'd be done with the first draft by now, but my last four scenes just kept getting bigger and bigger and now I'm shooting for the end of this week. Hopefully. Knock on wood. Crossing fingers.

+1900 yesterday. (Hoping for +1000 tonight.)

Oooh, I know that feeling – scenes getting bigger and bigger – I just hurriedly finished off a scene with the last to be interviewed suspect – because it was getting so long, only to start another scene with 2 other suspects (coming to my hero voluntarily because they're afraid of the past) and now that one is getting long too. I'm not complaining though, having had a good long dry period when I could hardly write a sentence, I'm just so glad to have added another 1,961 words today.

////

Got a small start on chapter 9. Became grouchy and unproductive upon learning that my tween novel Trouble at the Scriptorium was being delayed until August. Wouldn't matter except I'd just booked six blog tour appearances for July. Oh, well. Rescheduling...

Gosh, you seem to have a lot on your plate then!

Last edited:

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Rubay! Big Congrats!

Fran, yes, a very busy summer coming up. But I sure can't complain!

Finished chapter 9 of WIP and got a start on chapter 10. Walking steadily onward.

Status
Not open for further replies.