Website
www.poisonpen.net

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
68-31... wonder what the aisle break out was? Off to the link.

ETA: Wow, Sen. Voinovitch's statement may be one of the most rational things I've heard come out of the beltway in awhile:

"Judge Sotomayor is not the nominee I would have selected if I were president, but making a nomination is not my role here today... My role is to examine her qualifications to determine if she is fit to serve. ... Based on my review of her record, and using these factors, I have determined that Judge Sotomayor meets the criteria to become a justice on the Supreme Court."

Last edited:

POPASMOKE

Keep your turns up
Registered
Reaction score
Great day for the entitlement "Hey...I'm a minority, you owe me jobs and promotions in spite of qualifications" crowd.

Sad day for even an attempt at reasonably moderate jurisprudence.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
She certainly is. I'll think she'll be an outstanding justice.

Given the Republicans' irrational whining about Sotomayor and her "extremism", it wouldn't bother me all that much if the next time there's an opening on the Supreme Court, Obama nominates someone as far left as as Scalia, Thomas, Alito, and Roberts are far right. Just so the Republicans understand what extremism is.

Last edited:

Andrew

Most of the rules gotta go...
Registered
Reaction score
I hope against the odds she'll be to the left as Souter turned out to be to the right.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
ColoradoGuy said:
In contrast to Scalia, Thomas, and Roberts, I think she is quite moderate.

This is the problem I see with many on the right. They view far right politicians and judges as moderate mainstream individuals, and therefore those who are basically centrist, or slightly left of center as far out fringe radicals.

So coming to any sort of bipartisan consensus becomes very difficult.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
This is the problem I see with many on the right. They view far right politicians and judges as moderate mainstream individuals, and therefore those who are basically centrist, or slightly left of center as far out fringe radicals.

It's a good thing there's no one on the left who views far left politicians as moderates.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Another Supreme who doesn't understand the meaning of "infringed." Oh, how terrific.

POPASMOKE

Keep your turns up
Registered
Reaction score
In contrast to Scalia, Thomas, and Roberts, I think she is quite moderate.

I don't necessarily disagree with you regarding some rulings with regards to Scalia, Thomas, or Roberts. How moderate she turns out to be will be a matter for history, although her public assertion that she is better qualified for the bench because of her minority roots and some of her rulings on the Court of Appeals don't bode well for her objectivity IMO. My hope, which will probably never be realized, is that appointees to the SCOTUS will not be agenda driven, or activist jurists seeking to make policy from the bench. I hope she surprises me.

Given human nature, that's probably a naive and unrealistic expectation.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com

Yes. It's all about the Overton Window.

POPASMOKE

Keep your turns up
Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
It's a good thing there's no one on the left who views far left politicians as moderates.

What he said.

Yes. It's all about the Overton Window.

Assuming this "Overton Window" is an accurate descriptor of people's reactions, it's still very subjective. What you find acceptable I might find radical.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Congrats to her.

The 1st justice "from Puerto Rico" if you watched HLN this morning, where that's what an anchor said. Yay, Maria!!!

:e2smack:

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll just say this about the right. It has drifted much farther to the right than it used to be. Today's right would regard Reagan's record as California governor as liberal. Goldwater himself didn't think too highly of some aspects of far right orthodoxy by the time he retired from politics.

There has not been any comparable drift on the left.

As far as the Supreme Court is concerned, this all started when the right sensed an opportunity to gain a majority to overturn Roe vs. Wade. Until the right made that a political goal, we did not have this kind of partisanship over Supreme Court nominees. Scalia, for example, got confirmed unanimously.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Great day for the entitlement "Hey...I'm a minority, you owe me jobs and promotions in spite of qualifications" crowd.

Sad day for even an attempt at reasonably moderate jurisprudence.

You know, Bush wanted to appoint a white woman who had never been a judge and GOP barely bats an eye.

A hispanic woman with an IMPRESSIVE record and story gets nominated and of course it's a minority entitlement.

IMHO it is to this country's advantage to have its government represent the populace and hispanics make up a significant percentage of this country.

She certainly is. I'll think she'll be an outstanding justice.

Given the Republicans' irrational whining about Sotomayor and her "extremism", it wouldn't bother me all that much if the next time there's an opening on the Supreme Court, Obama nominates someone as far left as as Scalia, Thomas, Alito, and Roberts are far right. Just so the Republicans understand what extremism is.

QFT. I'm so tired of both sides regarded the other as looney and themselves as 'center'. Gets annoying.

Overall, happy this is final. Be interesting to see how she does.

Mel...

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
What he said.

Assuming this "Overton Window" is an accurate descriptor of people's reactions, it's still very subjective. What you find acceptable I might find radical.
Well yes. Which is why the way to study the Overton effect is with polling over time.