Translation of agent-speak please?

Symphony

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me out a little here. Had a rejection this morning with a handwritten personalised note on it. I'm well aware that it's a very solid 'NO', but what he said was: "This is a really lovely and well-written story, but I fear it's not quite 'big enough' for the commercial market."

I have an idea what he means, but would somebody else care to share their thoughts on what this means exactly? I think he liked 'something' about the story, but what does the 'big enough' mean - not topical enough? not dramatic enough?

Perhaps it's just a very polite turn-down. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Oh - it was a PB, by the way.

Thanks a lot.

Symphony

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
First of all, remember--this is only one agent's take on your work. Another might love it. As for the commercial or "big" comment, what he means is would publishing houses clamor to pub it and would it sell well.

Also, keep in mind you received a note saying that "This is a really lovely and well-written story...." That's a good start.

Last edited:

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
First of all, congratulations on the personal. I do find this comment odd for a picture book. If 'big' was not in quotes, he could be referring to the actual length, but in picture books generally simple/small ideas win over, so I can only imagine he's referring to the scope or depth of the presentation.

Good luck :)

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't say without knowing what the story was, but perhaps he felt it was really sweet and well-written, but didn't resonate on a deep enough level, or have a bigger-picture type meaning.

Symphony

Registered
Reaction score
That's great. Thank you very much for your comments. I'm still chuffed at the handwritten note (I don't get too many of those!!!), but I'll take your thoughts into consideration - will try some more agents and meanwhile have another look at it, too - see if I can make it 'bigger' - whatever that means. I'll have a look at the depth, Hillary.

Thanks again, all.

Amanda

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Not a big enough plot, not enough at stake for the protagonists.

moondance

Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't say without knowing what the story was, but perhaps he felt it was really sweet and well-written, but didn't resonate on a deep enough level, or have a bigger-picture type meaning.

This is exactly what I would understand it to mean. It doesn't refer to length or anything like that - it's 'big' as in 'concept'. I would imagine that the agent/publisher thinks it's not got a big enough or wide-ranging appeal. The pbook market is very competitive at the moment, even worse than it used to be. Many publishers want a 'high-concept' book - one that can be summed up in a sentence and people go 'wow! that sounds amazing!'

However, you should indeed be chuffed with the note. He didn't have to do that at all, and you have a lovely compliment there.

From what he said, I would try sending the ms to smaller publishing houses, who sometimes are more flexible with their pbook market.

Weatherby

Registered
Reaction score
Clearly, you did not use a big enough font. Try reprinting your manuscript in Courier, size 24.

Actually, to be safe, go to the store and purchase some legal-sized print paper and use that.

:D

Kidding aside, they were probably alluding to the marketability of the book. Do your characters leap off the page? Does your plot make people gasp/cry/laugh/shudder?

Remember, this is also only one agent's opinion.

Symphony

Registered
Reaction score
That's brilliant - EVERYBODY. Thank you so much. I WILL have another look, will try some smaller publishing houses (as opposed to castles, that is) - and also try a few rewrites and put something more into it. Will certainly try and make my character 'bigger' in terms of depth - see what happens.

You've been a fantastic help. Knew I could rely on you guys ...

Symphony