• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing Beta Readers Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojomx

Registered
Reaction score
I would like more information into what exactly you are looking for in a beta reader. My genres of choice are erotic fiction, fantasy, science fiction and horror.

Last edited:

mojomx

Registered
Reaction score
Willing to be a Beta reader

I may be new to all of this, but I know what I like. Helping others in critiquing their work sounds like a fun way to learn more about the authors out there as well as getting a good variety of my favorite genres that include erotica, science fiction, fantasy and horror. Nothing on the YA side. My mind works in a very interesting way and I cannot read the kiddy stuff anymore, lol.

Of you are interested send me a PM and I can send you my email so you can send me a rough draft. Internet connection not stable but I promise to get back as soon as I can with my honest opinion, and if need be, notes on grammatical errors.

The MG Renegade

Humor + Sarcasm + Boys = Good Time
Registered
Reaction score
Availability- Currently Available. I only do MG and some YA. I prefer adventures and comedy. No horror or fantasy.

Time frame- I can usually review a chapter a day depending on the length.

My critique style- While I am by no means an editor, I am big on grammar and will provide honest and open feedback. My biggest contribution will be the structure of the story itself. I am most concerned with the quality of the work and helping the author in growing the story itself.

About me- I have a BS and an MBA and coordinate a fatherhood program. I also work as a part-time teacher. I am writing the second book of my MG Adventure/Comedy series and dabble in short stories.

Compatability- I would prefer a manuscript in rtf or doc format.

Contact- If you are interested PM me with a synopsis of your story. If I am interested I will ask for your first chapter.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Availability- Now unavailable .

Time frame- At the moment, two to three chapters a week (although travelling next week, so it might only be one chapter for that week)

Genres: I don't read a lot of literary, so I'm not going to be much help there. Same goes with romance, unless it's m/m (which I read a hell of a lot of and can assist with). Fantasy/Sci-fi is my particular area of expertise, fantasy more than sci-fi. Please, no epic quests. They work for some people, but not really for me.

YA anything (barring romance and horror) is also an area where I can help, as it was what I wrote up until recently. I've also critiqued MG, and the author seemed happy, but probably not as much help there as I am in YA.

My critique style- I do line by line, purely because if I don't I get too caught up in things. Not too much help with the grammar, but I've been told I'm not bad at picking up one inconsistencies in character and motivation. Most of my comments circle around "wait a sec.." moments, then me trying to explain why a sentence/plot point/character action feels wrong to me.

About me- I've been writing for the past eight years on and off, and I've critiqued three or four books from this forum in the past two years. Seemed to help in some capacity :) Currently at med school, although it's summer break in Australia, so I have three months of spare time on my hands.

Contact- PM me with an email address and a query and/or synopsis for your WIP, and we'll go from there. I'll probably take a look at your first chapter, and unless it's just doesn't fit, we'll go from there.

Not looking to swap, just beta. Look forwards to hearing from you,

Sian

Last edited:

ClockworkMuffin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm brand new, but I'd give beta-ing a shot if anyone is interested :)

About Me
I'm 22 and I live in the UK. I really like dinosaurs and really hate zombies. What else do you want to know?

Happy To Beta ...
YA
Fantasy (urban fantasy, low fantasy set in any era, fantasy in invented worlds but more plainly written and not focused on an epic quest -- I prefer all of these to quest/epic fantasy right now)
Sci-Fi
Magical Realism, even though I'm not sure exactly what counts as that ;)
I'll give anything else a chance, as long as it's not in my next list.

Not looking to Beta ...
Erotica (I don't mind books with sex scenes, but I am terrible at writing sex, so I don't think I could critique a book where that is a large part of the point)
Westerns. I don't mean to offend anyone, I just have an irrational dislike. It's not you, it's me. However, I love Firefly, so if you're only pretending your book is a Western and it actually has space travel, we can talk :D
Anything about Zombies. Even if you call them something else. Other kinds of undead are fine, but if you have contagious human-eating undead in a post-apocalypic world I cannot deal and I will have nightmares, I promise :D

Experience
I'm only about 50k words into my first ever novel and I've never critiqued a novel-length work, so don't come to me if you're looking for an expert. Consider me like an especially nitpicky and irritating reader, not as an editor ;)

Other Stuff You Should Know
I like everyone to know where they stand, so I'll probably want to talk about expectations before I begin reading, and I'll probably want to read and review a few chapters so I can get an idea of your writing, and you can get an idea of how I critique, and then we can both decide whether we want to continue.
I think methodically and systematically, so you'll probably get something weird and over the top like an annotated PDF/DOCX, coupled with a 'further thoughts' sheet, and I'll probably make my own forms to fill in. I apologise in advance.
I have empathy for thin-skinned people, because I am one myself! So if you want me to handle you carefully, just let me know. I'm not necessarily the most diplomatic of people, but I will try my very best. If you say to be brutal, I will take that at face value.
I will pick up grammar and spelling mistakes where I can, but if that's what you really need, I'm probably not the person for the job, honestly.

If You're Interested ...
PM me to let me know the genre, length and title of the work, and give me a brief description of it (without spoilers, please, I like to be surprised). If you've got stuff in SYW, even if its not of the work you want me to beta, send me a link so I can see your writing. We can talk expectations through PM and then swap emails.

Availability: Unavailable for now.

Last edited:

Rubyvix

Registered
Reaction score
Not really looking to swap, I just want to beta :)

I like stories with dark themes, though I’m pretty open minded and will read whatever really. Especially interested in thriller, supernatural, romance, erotica, women’s fiction, and LGBT stuff. I have a particular love of all things quirky and weird, so if you're work doesn't fit into any genre, all the better.

I don’t much care for children’s or YA, chick-lit, or non-fiction.

I can beta short stories or novels, though no more than a chapter a week (ish) though I may be able to get back to you sooner, especially if it’s a short story.

I can also be as nit-picky or gentle as you want, just let me know. I’m happy to go through your first draft and critique every line, or just to give an overall impression, whatever you want really.

Basically if you’re happy to have a newbie beta you, I’m happy to do it! I have a degree in creative writing, but haven’t done much critiquing recently so I may be a little rusty! Please PM me if you’re interested.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Not Currently Available.
Right now I'd love to swap work. I will only beta with people who are established in AW. The forum requires you to reach 50 posts before submitting your own threads, so I ask that you participate in discussions and become active on AW before asking me to beta. Trusting a stranger with your work is a big deal.

Experience: I've beta read for two different AW'ers so far, and we seemed to get along well. I'm an attorney by day, and currently read and edit contracts all day, although I used to write appellate briefs, and edited the Alabama DUI and Driver License Handbook for grammar and content.

Specialization:
Pretty much just YA. I read adult stuff for funsies (everything from Grisham to King to Orwell books about animals), but when beta reading I prefer YA since that's what I write.

What I won't read:
Erotica, anything that is firmly in the sci-fi genre (although I do enjoy fantasy like Eragon), and I'm kind of burned out on vampires.

Schedule/time frame:
It depends on how long the manuscript is and the quality of writing. The more errors or problems I find, the longer it's going to take me. The more I get into a story though, the more likely I am to let some things slide and get it back to you quicker. I try to be fast but thorough. If you have a time frame you want it back in, let me know and I'll try to accomodate.

My critique style: I am a fan of track changes in Word. I'll strike things and rework things in the document as I see them (like spelling, grammar, or awkward sentences). I usually give an overview of each chapter at the end with more details about what I thought worked and what didn't. I try not to come across harsh, but I am honest, so please don't take my critiques the wrong way. I tend to give more feedback than less so don't freak out if your manuscript comes back covered in red. I'd rather give you too much and let you take it with a grain of salt (I guess because I'd rather get more comments back so that I'll have more to work with).

Other Notes
: I like to read a few chapters first to see if I'm a good fit for you and vice versa. If we both think it's working, then I'll request the rest. I delete all materials you send me when I'm done with the whole thing. I can either send it back to you all at once or a few chapters at a time, whichever you prefer. If it's chapter by chapter I'll wait until I'm done to delete it all. If we swap I ask that you delete mine as well. I also prefer to swap by email, which I'll give in a PM if you're interested.

PM me if you're interested. I prefer to swap things by email, but I'll give that through a PM.

Last edited:

azewr

Registered
Reaction score
Availability- Available Monday - Friday. Weekends are usually busy for me but sometimes I'll get some time.

Time frame- Two or three chapters a week.

Genres: Fantasy is definitely my area. Put YA and romance is more of a weakness although it can be a good change and something to work on. Historical not so much unless it hast a nice twist to it. Like time travel, etc.

My critique style- Paragraph by paragraph, and if needed line by line. I focus on grammar and punctuation of course, but I do try to watch character and plot jumps making sure things remain consistent.

About me- I have been editing for 5 years now and hope to soon open my own publishing business as hard as it may be. I'm mainly here to get more experience in the field and learn what people want and would like from a publishing. It may not be big like most other ones, but it would be more than just an e-book and sold in stores.

Contact- PM and email I will usually respond by the next day

AmyJay

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: I'll be available to beta read from now until mid-January. My turnaround time is usually about a week. Unavailable for now.

Genres: YA only. I'm open to reading any genre of YA, but since contemporary is mostly what I read and write, that's what I'd be best at critiquing. I'm especially interested in character-driven stories and LGBT characters or themes.

Critiquing style: I'm pretty much the Tim Gunn type. I can focus on anything from nitpicky line edits to big-picture issues, depending on what you're looking for and what your story needs.

If you're interested, PM me with more information about your story (genre, blurb, word count, etc). I'd also be happy to swap manuscripts.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score

Genre Pref: Science fiction, fantasy, horror, historical, crime, literary, romance (including m/m and f/f)

Not interested in: YA, chick lit, religious/New Agey, war

What I'm prepared to do: I'll look at first drafts as long as you're not completely clueless with regard to spelling and grammar, but I'd prefer your ms to be as "clean" as possible. I'm particularly interested in helping non-English writers whose work is set in England to avoid the kind of mistakes that often creep into published books and make me want to throw them across the room (the books, not the writers). I'll do my best to sniff out plot holes, inconsistencies, clumsy sentences and the usual bugbears.

PM me with a plot synopsis and word count. I promise to be honest without being brutal!

Last edited:

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Availability: Unavailable. I just picked up two awesome manuscripts. I'll update when I'm ready for more!

Experience: I've beta read for about 10 people now. Six were full manuscripts and four were partials. I prefer to read the whole thing because I can pick up on themes, things that repeat too often, and let you know if I see character growth or stagnation. I am also only going to accept completed novels that have been revised at least once. This is because I do line edits and am not good at critiquing in an overall, general sense. There are many people here who prefer this, so please consider what stage you're at before contacting me. So far I have found people through the beta request section on here, but I've decided to try it this way and let people come to me. I like to establish friendships with the writers I work with and want this to be a good experience for you. I consider it an honor to read your work in progress, as I know it is nerve racking to share something, especially if you are new to critiquing. I am open to feedback, such as if you disagree with my comments, because I learn from this process too! However, if the partnership isn't working out I will gently back away and urge you to find a better fit. It's in both of our best interests and does not reflect on you as a writer.

Specialization: I write literary and contemporary, but I am also a big fan of chick lit, women's fiction (not so much romance, I am not experienced there), mysteries, spy thrillers and anything quirky, odd ball, or funny. I also enjoy a book that explores the metaphysical or spiritual, but I am not religious, so please don't send me Christian fiction or anything preachy. Zombies are always welcome. I have done one memoir and would be open to more, but please note I don't read a lot of non-fiction and am not the most experienced in this. I am also not a historian but I do love a good historical fiction read!

What I won't read: Erotica, romance (this is not set in stone - contact me if you're interested and I will see if I might be a good fit), sci-fi, fantasy, YA, and vampires. As noted, zombies are welcome.

Schedule/time frame: It depends. I'm traveling right now and going to beta read when I can, but I generally take a month or two. I give detailed notes and really give you my full attention, so for a fast turn around you will need someone else.

My critique style: If the work is really polished I will make notes in text. If it looks like you need direction with plot and characters I will send emails with comments, usually from 10-20 page batches.

Other Notes: I send comments as I go, just in case you want to revise. I am very open to you sending me updated documents, and if I make a comment/critique that leads you into extensive rewriting I will wait for your new document. I see this as a partnership and we will probably email a lot, so if you want your document read and returned at once I'm not the best person. I'm also not into the really dark stories, like child abuse. Of course you are welcome to send me a writing sample if you are unsure, as I'm always opening up to new genres because of a great writer. We'll see what happens!

Contact: PM me if you're interested. I prefer to swap things by email, but I'll give that through a PM.

Last edited:

Chalula88

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Unavailable - I already have two requests, I'll open back up when I'm ready to take on more. If anyone else wants me to beta, I can put you on a waiting list if you desire.

I will read: only manuscripts that have had at least one thorough line edit, prefer 3rd draft or beyond (so I can focus on the real problems rather than correcting a bunch of grammatical and spelling errors).

My Genre Preferences: Anything that is done well. I have a love for all things unique, out-of-the-box, and experimental, but I love mainstream things too, so long as they aren't washed up or overdone.

I am not offended by anything, including sex, violence, gore, etc. I enjoy "edgy" books.

I will not read: Anything derivative or uninspired. Things that have been done a million billion gazillion times: portal stories, vampires, zombies, etc (unless you've found some way to make it awesomely unique).

Stories with heavy description of things that don't matter, flowery language, purple prose - I'm a minimalist and I will hack it to shreds (if that's what you're after, bring it on, but don't expect me to fawn over your endless descriptions of shrubbery and ball gowns.)

Genres I Dislike: Christian or otherwise religiously themed stories. Romance as the primary/main/only conflict (no matter what genre). Erotica (it doesn't offend me, I just don't "get" it). Space operas.

Stories set in other worlds that are so different from our world that I have to learn ten thousand vocabulary words to comprehend what's going on. And also stories that don't have any characters that look and act like humans. (Other than that, I do like SciFi and Fantasy)

Experience: I am a freelance writer and editor. I have written a ton of fiction and non-fiction on commission and I'm launching my own writing business in June when I graduate with a BA in Communications (my focuses are writing and electronic media).

Areas of Expertise: I am very good with grammar, maintaining POV, voice consistency, and tense. I'm not so good at punctuation unless it's glaringly wrong.

I know a ton about psychology, especially child psychology and dissociative disorders.

My critique style: I am pretty straightforward, but not rude. I can be gentle if you want me to be.

I tend to ask a lot of questions: Why would he do that? What do you mean by this word? etc.

You will get a document back from me that is just covered in comments and suggestions. If this isn't what you want, let me know ahead of time.

Contact: PM me, but after that I prefer to use email if at all possible.

Last edited:

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Unavailable. I'm full for moment but will update when I'm free. Thanks guys.

Genre preferences- YA or MG Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Historical, Romance and possibly Sci-fi. Don’t mind taking on a long Ms.

Time Frame: Probably get it to you in a couple of weeks. Maybe shorter depending on length of Ms. If you send just one chap at a time I tend to be even quicker.

Not interested in- erotica or westerns.

Critique style: Tend to do line by line but can look at overall plot and give general thoughts on things I think you can Improve. Not much help on the Grammar side though.

Last edited:

Christopher Marcus

Writer of short stories 'n' stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadeofthemorningsun.com
Beta - swap - contemporary - shorts/novels

Availability: UNAVAILABLE

Preferences:
Contemporary/mainstream, short stories (novels OK - but it depends on length, etc - plz inquire). I do SF and fantasy as well, historical and alternate history.

YA okay - but no vampires and other supernatural stuff, plz

I Don't Like & Won't Read: Erotica, Horror, Romance

Critique Style:
Constructive - always. I tried to lift people not knock them down. But that doesn't mean beating around the bush. I'll be totally honest with you in what i see as the weaknesses of your writing - but also the strengths

Critique focus: I'm mostly into plot, characters, story-flow - the big picture. I'll point out any minor stuff that really strikes me as inconsistent, odd, poorly written, etc.

No line-edit, copy-edit, etc.!

Time Frame: Depends. Please inquire.

What do I write/what would I like beta'd?

Short stories - generally between 2K and 10K words, a few times longer. You can follow the link in the sig and browse my site to get a feel for what I do.

What do you expect in return for beta-services?

That you give my work the same attention I give yours. Page numbers aren't that important. But if you give me a whole novel to read, I might expect you to beta approximately the same amount of pages in short stories. But it is definitely up for negotiation - so don't be afraid to inquire.

Do I have to swap?

Not necessarily - if I have the time, I'd be more than glad to just beta. Please inquire. My schedule changes all the time.

Conditions:

You don't need to have a lot of experience. Just write something that is, well, good enough to capture my attention. You already know if my stuff is good enough to capture yours, if you followed the link in my sig.

I reserve the right to refuse any project without having to explain myself in depth, but usually I strive to let people know why I don't feel we match (it happens very seldom - so don't worry okay?)

Anything else I should know about you?

I write free shorts for my hyperfiction/blog fiction web site, ShadeoftheMorningSun.com and ShadeoftheMorningSun.blogspot.com. The best of these will be taken down, edited and republished as ebooks via one of the usual retailers at a later date. So: I am indie, okay?

I'd love to beta someone who is heading for the traditional publishing route, though, but if it makes you iffy that I am not ... well, you have been warned :)

Okay, I think that's it for now ...

PLEASE NOTE: To begin with PM me only, plz, to inquire about a beta (swap).

And now, with that out of the way ... all I can say is that I look forward to reading your stuff!

So gimme!;)

Best regs,

Chris

Last edited:

kelloish

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available

Genre preferences- Young Adult, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy. Sci-fi if it's something that grabs my attention.

Not interested in- Romance, erotica, vampires

Critique style: Not overly harsh. I try to appreciate that this is something you've put a lot of work into so I will always try to find the good points along with areas that could use improvement. I tend to go for overall plot, flow and character development rather than line by line, but if I catch something smaller, I'll definitely point it out.

Time frame: I prefer to read a few (or even just 1) chapters at a time, which I will usually get back to you in a day or so. Full MSs usually take me a couple of weeks, depending on how much else I have on my plate.

Contact: PM me, please include the length, genre and the areas you'd like me to focus on.

Zachzab

Registered
Reaction score
Available: Yes

Genres: I like science fiction [hard and soft] and fantasy [any kind, for the most part], especially if it's Dungeons and Dragons. However, I'm willing to do anything, I just might be more help with those two genres. Can be a novel, novella, novellete, or short story. Or even an 'epic'

Things I won't Beta: There's not really that many things I won't do, but if you're just looking for endless praise then that won't last long from me.

Time frame: Depending on what all you want, it could take a few hours to a few weeks. I will give updates on a regular basis, as long as I'm told how often, otherwise I'll do all of what I'm sent and then send it back.

Critique style: I can be harsh, or I can be softer. I'll probably end up mixing some humor in either way. Also I can give the big picture or I can get more down to the details.

Critique services: Line by line, punctuation, grammar, fact-checking, character development.

Notes:
-I tend to be a friend to everybody I meet so if you're looking for a real business-y guy, I might not be so good.
-Subjects I'm very knowledgeable in; Internet [anything], Dungeons and Dragons, roleplaying [everything], video games [Why are those important? Helps with science fiction or anything with geeks/hacking; means I'm good with fantasy and such; it means I know a lot about character development, flow, and how to make unique characters; again, good with science fiction, but also fantasy]
-I don't care how graphic or disturbing something is, I can handle it. But don't test me, please :D.
-I'm young, so I can give a perspective from a teen's eyes.
-I can probably handle two novels at a time, and maybe four or five short stories. But I won't be able to handle an epic unless it's the only thing I'm doing.
-I don't care how completed or refined something is, it can be messy.

Word count limit: There's no limit, I don't care if I end up with a million words to go through, just keep in mind that the longer it is the longer it'll take me to help.

Contact: Send me a PM with the genre, a synopsis, and the way you want me to Beta. Then I'll let you know if I'll do it or not, and send you my email if I will. As for communicating while I'm Betaing, it can also be over email like normal people or over another program, depending on what'd be better for you. Just ask if I can use another program in the request for me to Beta.

Last edited:

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Availability: *Waiting List*, currently 6-8 weeks as of Feb 20, 2012, in part because I have another eye surgery on March 12. To my surprise, I seem to be in demand. Either PM me, and I'll put you on my waiting list or I'll update this post then. I am not looking for a beta partner or exchange. I do this as an AW-good-citizen service, and I'm hoping for some rewards in the next world.

Preferences: Most things with some notable exceptions below. Mystery and thriller are my favorites.

Exceptions: As in I don't want to read,
~Erotica (please. I'm 49),
~Christian,
~Sci Fi that requires learning a new language like, " I put the xpsldjug against his wbdgsubmmf and fired a bmvnjffh into his xoxoslsl." I already speak 2 languages, thanks. I am not an expert on SF, but will do it as long as you understand that.
~Literary that is as dense as Faulkner or Joyce.
~"experimental" whatever that is
~Anything written in the present tense. Sorry.

Experience: I have a BA in Eng. lit. I am a published freelance NF writer and a voracious reader of all genres with a massive library. I taught English as a 2nd language in France for 6 years.

Areas of Expertise: grammar, spelling, diction, internal consistency, character development, plot, pacing, tension, flow, overall. F or NF. Random stuff like some things I ran across today in a manuscript: Libya is not a temperate climate full of forests, and I know the equations for free fall. (I was a Physics minor). No disrespect intended for the author, but I guess it's useful if your reader knows some random stuff.

Critique style: I am honest and thorough, but kind. That's just my way. If you want someone to rip you to shreds, keep scrolling. I save your doc under another name, then correct/comment in a different color as I go along. I'm constructive and will say something like, "this is awkward. you might try X, Y, or Z." I don't care if it's the 1st, 2nd or 27th draft. I'm going to go line by line anyway. I will ask to see the first 10 pages or so to make sure it's something I can/will do and also make sure that you are okay with my style. I will use humor sometimes. When I'm done, I will delete all your stuff from my laptop. I have enough files, thanks. If I refuse to do your Beta, it's not personal. It might be one of a 100 reasons including I don't feel competent to do this particular book.

I send it back to you in maybe 20 page increments as I go along. I'm not fast--I have a life--but I don't care how long your manuscript is. Rate of maybe 100 pages/week min. If you want it faster, then keep scrolling--or pay someone!

What do I want from you? "Thank you Sea Witch, I really appreciate your hard work," from time to time and a pleasant demeanor. See Maryn's thread here. I don't care if you make any of my suggested changes. My advice is free, and you are free to disregard it (at your peril ;o)) If you are snarky with me or I never hear from you despite sending back reams of pages weekly, I stop.

Last edited:

poeticjustice_2001

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: AVAILABLE

Preferences: Romance (most subgenres; I have the most experience with paranormal, historical and romance erotica), urban fantasy, chick lit

I Don't Like & Won't Read: Horror, mystery, Christian fiction

Critique Style: I like to do some editing line by line and some overall at the end. I can focus on grammar, story flow/logic points, character development, dialogue.. basically the whole buffet!

Critique focus: I'm mostly into plot, characters, story-flow - the big picture. I'll point out any minor stuff that really strikes me as inconsistent, odd, poorly written, etc.

Time Frame: Depends on the length of work, within a week or two

I write paranormal romance, romance erotica, and non-fiction (looking at putting my blogs together to make a book about my peace corps experience).

Just acknowledgment of my help- if I crit your work, I want to hear back from you, whether it's with questions or just a simple "thank you". Also, when I've finished with the stuff I'm working on, it would be nice to get a crit in kind (roughly the same amount of pages).

How do you usually beta?

Send me a PM and we'll talk about what you have. The length of it and the time frame you're looking at. If it's a novel, I might ask you to send me the first couple chapters.

Conditions:

Be able to take criticism (though I don't think I'm a harsh reviewer). Please don't send me work that is chock-full of grammatical errors. It doesn't have to be perfect but if every sentence has a red flag from MS Word's grammar check, I won't be able to concentrate enough to
the real critique (namely, characters and plot).

I am currently working on some romance short stories with the objective to move onto novel length and eventually publication.
I am currently in the Peace Corps in a third world country, so it's possible my situation could change and it would cut down on my time for crit (evacuation, government overthrow,
natural disaster, loss of internet/electricity, sudden case of malaria). However, right now the amount of my free time seems pretty set, so I'm looking foreward to critting your work!

Good luck and may the muse be with you.

Last edited:

Carissa

my day, your day, lovely day
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carissa-taylor.blogspot.com
Availability: Un-Available

Specialization:
Young Adult and Middle Grade of most types, but particularly ....
YA Sci-Fi and Fantasy, or MG Sci-fi/Fantasy or Contemporary are my faves!

Not so interested in:
Erotica, romance-heavy manuscripts, horror, heavy drug use

Style: I am more of a big-picture critter. I look at characters, plot, pacing, world-building, identifying plot holes or gaps in logic. I'll point out glaring grammatical errors, but it's not going to be my focus. I will try to tell it to you like I see it. I tend not to overly sugarcoat things (but I CAN if you ask :) ). I also often point out my reactions and the things I like/love about the story. So there'll always be a balance. Unless you prefer otherwise I do a lot of my crits with the comments feature in MS Word and then also provide a summary email/document when I'm finished.

Schedule: Let me know what you need! I have a flexible schedule and am a fast reader, but would prefer to take some time with critiques. That way you get more detailed feedback. I can usually turn around a manuscript in a week or two, but longer if my schedule's busy. Please let me know if you are working on a deadline and we'll see if we are a good match, time-wise.

Other: I'd prefer to do a test read/critique first so we can see if we're a good match. After that I'd be happy to read chapters and/or full manuscripts.

I currently have a 95K YA science fiction manuscript about a cyborg beekeeper in space (you can read more about it here), so would also be eager to do a beta exchange.

My Books:
Farlight - YA Sci-Fi

Blog: http://carissa-taylor.blogspot.com/

Twitter: CarissaATaylor

Repped by Jason Anthony of LMQ

Last edited:

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Unavailable until March ish

Preferences (strongest to weakest):
-Anything with a snarky narrator
-Humour/satire
-Pro-LGBTQ fiction
-Young Adult
-Mystery
-Horror
-Speculative Fiction, especially those with underlying philosophical themes.
-Romance/Erotica (plot relevant sex please)
-Paranormal that limits itself to few supernatural critters (too many tends to bog down the narrative).

Will Not Read:
-Incomplete manuscripts. I'm a beta reader. I work with full drafts.
-Spirituality or Pro-religion fiction.
-Fantasy of the Tolkein or Vampire/Werewolf variety.
-"Literary" Fiction.
-Any narrator that's too factual or dry.
-Anything that was influenced by Joyce.
-Anything that uses purple prose and isn't being ironic about it.

Uncomfortable With: Almost nothing. In other words, if you need a gritty beta-reader who will not be immediately repulsed by some brutal material, I can probably stomach it.

Critique Style: I'm more of a story editor than a grammar hawk. I will comment on a line if its delivery is especially cliche or jarring, but for the most part I prefer to focus on broader strokes: world building, characterization, pacing, tension, suspension of disbelief, things like that. I respond honestly, but I don't waste time explaining why I like something. Thus, my feedback looks like I'm hating on you, even though all the sections where I'm silent have been met with approval.

What I Write: Almost all of my current material is YA-Mystery told by a disenfranchised and overly snarky narrator. If that describes your book, odds are I will like it.

What I Want in Return: Manuscript exchange. Beta reading is a lot of work to do pro-bono, and I'm not that generous. I expect a fair exchange.

A spot in the acknowledgements never hurts either ;)

Conditions: I will grow impatient and frustrated if your grasp on the English language is not competent at the very least. Your MS should be void of elementary errors. It doesn't have to be perfect (if my copy editor has anything to prove, it's that mine aren't), but don't send me NaNo slog either. You should be fairly confident in what you have to share, and I will respond honestly to what you send.

Active members in the AW community are more likely to gain my readership than inactive ones. I cannot trust that a person with 1 post will not disappear after I've given them feedback, when I may call on them in the future to return the favour.

How to Contact Me: Treat me like a warm-up round for contacting an agent. Send me a PM with a pitch along with details (MS length, genre, how you take your coffee) and a small reading sample. If I like it, I'll ask for the first chapter (or prologue if you prefer) and send it back to you to either seal the deal or break it off.

If you agree to offer it, expect me to read "about" 15k words/week. If I finish sooner, take it as a compliment, because it meant I voraciously consumed your MS faster than Katniss ate her meal at the champion's table. If I finish later, I may just be busy. If the pacing is killing me and I don't want to finish the MS, I'll just tell you, along with a detailed feedback report of where things went down hill for me.

Last edited:

rcoope23

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be open to beta reads, anything fantasy, science fiction or romance. I'd be happy to give insight on the story, characters and how it reads. Feel free to pm me if you have something you need looked over.

Availability- Available

Preferences- Fantasy and Science Fiction are the main genres I find interesting but I don't mind a little romance every now and then if well written.

Will Not Read- Erotica where it is all sex. Sex scenes important to the plot only.

How to contact me- pm me with the genre and a basic outline of what it is about and a word count.

Last edited:

raniannabanana

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to Beta read. I am good with full length manuscripts or partials.
I am new at this, but read a lot. If you want me to read for anything other than plot cohesion (e.g. sentence clarity), let me know.

Genres:
Historical Romance
YA
Sci-Fi
Fantasy (High/Urban, it's all good)

I don't mind swearing.
I don't read straight-up erotica.
PM me if you have any questions.

asraidevin

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: AVAILABLE

Preferences: Romance (any sub-genres), erotica, chick-lit

I Won't Read: Horror, mystery, Christian fiction, YA

Critique Style: line by line or big picture. depend what you want and time line. line by line will take significantly longer.

Critique focus: I'll point out typos, grammar, spelling if I notice, it's not my focus. Plot, characters, over all picture, dialogue, showing over telling.

Time Frame: Depends how in depth and how long. A couple weeks. I have my own writing and children to contend with. But I'll try to flexible.

I write contemporary romance, and probably spilling into fantasy/paranormal. Full sex scenes in my books. Occasionally I will write out and out erotica.

Gold coins, pixie dust, public displays of gratitude and positive thoughts sent my direction.

Ah what do I want in return for my time? At least a thank you, at most an offer of a beta reader.

How do you usually beta?

Poke me with a stick and tell me about yourself, your work and your timeline.

Conditions:

I'll try not to be too nice or too mean. That is I'll try to be Constructive with my comments.

I am a mother of two and I have a touch of ADHD, so I may get side tracked and it's not because I've forgotten, if i lose touch poke me. Repeatedly.

embean

Registered
Reaction score
available

Availability: NOT AVAILABLE for betareading (no swap)

Background: I am an aspiring professional editor who is currently completing a formal editing program at college. I also have a university degree in Communications.

Would prefer: Fiction, nonfiction, romance, YA

Not interested in: Crime, fantasy, horror, Christian, historical, sci-fi (but I don't mind post-apocalyptic or dystopian plots)

Can provide: editing, proofreading, fact-checking, character development, constructive criticism

Process: I prefer to work in MS Word using track changes. I am open to all types of material, but would prefer something that will give me solid experience editing. If I don't think your work is a good fit, I'll let you know. If things work well, I would appreciate a testimonial or recommendation as I hope to pursue editing professionally in the future. I am Canadian and would have a soft spot for fellow Canadian writers, but I'm open to everyone.

I work full-time and also go to school part-time, so if you need something in a rush, I'm probably not the right person. But, I promise to dedicate a consistent amount of time to your work.

Please PM me with a synopsis. If interested, I'll ask you for sample pages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.